Photo
- - - - -

Concerning Frequent Communion (St. Nikodemos)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Title: Concerning Frequent Communion of the Immaculate Mysteries of Christ
Author: St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite
Publisher: Uncut Mountain Press, 2006
ISBN: 960-86778-5-8
Pages: 241
Sub-Genre: Sacrament, Orthodox practice, Orthodox belief
Price: $17.00
Links: St. John of Kronstandt Press, http://www.sjkp.org/
Description: These words of our lord Jesus Christ have been, since the moment they were spoken, a “scandal” and stumbling block, and a point of departure for all who could not see in them "words of eternal life" (Jn. 6:58). The misconceptions and misinterpretations continue to exist today, as does the need for a patristic and pastoral response. Just such a reply exists in Saint Nikodemos” renowned work, Concerning Frequent Communion. The pious reader will find therein answer, combed from the entire patristic tradition, to such questions as: How should I approach the Holy Mysteries? What preparation is necessary? How often should I commune? And, what does it mean to be "worthy" of Holy Communion? Based upon and gathered from the teachings of the Holy Fathers of the Church, Concerning Frequent Communion provides the much needed comprehensive and "catholic corrective" to the variety of one-sided approaches so prevalent today.
Attached File  UMSNIKODEMOS-02.jpg   74.73K   60 downloads

--------------------------------------------------

This book was such a spiritual enriching read! I think it is the most comprehensive text when it comes to the Mystery of Communion. This book is packed full of supporting texts from Holy Scripture, Church Fathers, Hierarchs. It has truly given me new insight into the Holiness and Blessedness that is the Body and Blood of our Savior Jesus Christ. Every person who desires and yearns to feel and understand more about the preciousness of this Mystery needs to read this book. This should be taught to chatecumens as part of entry into the Holy Orthodox Church. I will definitley be posting quotes from the book on my website.

Interesting Facts:

• The first edition of the book was written by an anonymous author who titled the work "A handbook demonstrating that Christians must partake of the divine Mysteries more frequently."
  • It was sent to the Phanar by an "evil-minded monk of the Holy Mountain." This book was banned by Ecumenical Patriarch Gabriel IV and everyone was ordered by Synodal decree that anyone who spoke or wrote about this book would be anathematized.
  • The book was vindicated by Patriarch Neophytos VII by an Epistle to the "most-holy Father Makarios, Metropolitan of Corinth."
  • Met. Makarios gave the book to St. Nikodemos the Hagiorite to be worked on and revised. It was published in the year 1783.
  • The book is divided into 3 parts. 1) Concerning the Lord's Prayer. 2) The subject of frequent Communion. 3) Responses to the objections raised against frequent Communion. It also contains two appendixes. Appendix A divides up what the Divine Eucharist Represents in 3 forms, 1) The Greatness of the Gift. 2) The love of the person giving the gift. 3) The benefit enjoyed by the person receiving the gift

#2 Michael Albert

Michael Albert

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

This book is truly edifying. I recommend it for everyone to read!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users