Photo
- - - - -

Not sure if this is the right place to put this... a few questions.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 A. Wright

A. Wright

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

Going to attend a Russian Orthodox service in the near future. How should I prepare, what should I wear, how long do services generally last? Any other advice? My thanks for your help.

A

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

Best place to start is right here:

12 Things I wish I'd known

#3 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Welcome A! Is the parish Russian Orthodox Church, or is it Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. I only ask b/c if it is the former then the Liturgy will probably be in Russian but if it happens to be the latter there is a good chance that the Liturgy will be in English, with some Russian.

While the link Herman posted is good I always like to contact the parish Priest, or Deacon, and refer the questions to him. Some Churches designate people to be with new comers and help them along in following the Divine Liturgy.

-Ignatios

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

There is not a lot of conformity. Some Russian parishes require head coverings, those that do often have extra scarves by the door. Can't go wrong having a scarf "handy". It is safe to dress modestly, long dress/skirt, longish sleeves, but don't be surprised if others don't. Russian services often last 2 to 2 1/2 hours, comfortable shoes highly recommended. If you can contact the priest before hand as Jason suggested, that would be a good thing, he can answer specifically for that parish.

Best advice, I think, is to not try to figure everything out the first time, just experience it with a prayerful attitude. We'll be interested reading in how it went for you afterwards!

Herman

#5 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

It would be a good idea to print out the Liturgy service so you have something to follow and help understand the service that is taking place, however that can prove to be distracting as you may like to observe the service at first and see how people conduct themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users