• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Evan F.

Evan F.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone know why the Patriarch Jacob is sometimes present in the bottom right corner of some icons of "All Saints?" Also, there is sometimes a crowned figure in one of the upper corners of the icon with the Prophet David (is it the Prophet Solomon?). Why is he present?

I haven't been able to get my hands on a high quality image to read the inscriptions that might explain these questions.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files

#2 Niko T.

Niko T.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

A high-res version is available here: http://www.eikonogra...3298&fullsize=1.

On the top left of the icon is the Prophet David, whose scroll reads: "Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous..." (Psalm 33:1). On the right is the Prophet Solomon, whose scroll reads: "The righteous live unto the ages..." (Wisdom of Solomon 5:15).

The bottom left depicts the Righteous Abraham, with the righteous ones in his boosm. As for the Righteous Jacob in the bottom, right, I'm not sure what the full reason for his depiction is. It could be that his descendants were the 12 Patriarchs who formed the 12 tribes of Israel. And the Church and her Saints through Christ form the continuation of this great spiritual heritage. But someone else might have a better idea.

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

The Three Patriarchs (also known as the Three Holy Forefathers) Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, are the first prophets of God, and the ancestors of the people of God. In icons of All Saints, Abraham is always featured, often alone, but, depending on the icon's composition, one or both of his fellow patriarchs are featured as well. Quite often, the Good Thief, bearing his cross, is also present, as is the case in the icon Fr Evan has posted.

Fr Evan, regarding explanations for why certain details appear in icons: I have found that examining the hymnography for the Vespers and Matins pertaining to the feast depicted in an icon to be particularly useful in shedding light on "why is it so". Unfortunately, the feast of All Saints is one for which I do not have the hymnography.

#4 Vassil

Vassil

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hi,

About Abraham and the small figure in his boosm - isn't this an ilustration of The parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31):

19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[a] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

There are various liturgical references, derived from scripture, to the souls of the righteous being in the bosom of Abraham, most notably in the hymnography for funerals and memorials.

#6 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

There used to be an "interactive" Icon that described different meanings to the All Saints Ikon. Can't find it =-(

#7 Vassil

Vassil

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Is this figure in the upper part of the circle i Sophia?

#8 Deacon Jonathan

Deacon Jonathan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

I believe the angel is the "Angel of Counsel" (Isaiah 9:6)

I also have a question on the All Saints Icon, though. When looking for images, I have found quite a few that show the Prophet Daniel and King Solomon in the top corners, rather than King David and Solomon. Examples:

http://www.agiazoni....gioiPantes3.jpg

http://vatopaidi.fil...09/08/31big.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot...AllSaints03.jpg

Unfortunately, none of the pictures show what the Prophet Daniel's scroll might read, but does anyone already know what is in the scroll, and why Daniel might be in the top corner of All Saints' icons? (what the scroll reads and why Daniel is in the top left corner are probably one and the same question).

Many thanks in advance

#9 Deacon Jonathan

Deacon Jonathan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the above question ^ Thanks

#10 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

Perhaps the text that Daniel is holding is all or part of 12:3, going with the theme of the righteous among each of the prophetic scrolls:

Those who are wise shall shine as the brightness of the heavens;
and those who turn many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.

#11 Deacon Jonathan

Deacon Jonathan

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thank you, Peter.

#12 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Righteous Prophet and King Solomon is also present in the Resurrection icons. He is a celebrated Saint in the Church during the Sunday of the Forefathers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users