3 replies to this topic

#1 James Scott

James Scott

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

I've been studying the First Ecumenical Council, and the fight between St. Athanasius and the Arians. On the information I could find on the computer concerning this matter, they all seem to say different things. If it's possible I would like to learn why he was exiled 5 times, when and why these major events happened, and in proper order. Is that even possible? This council seems so confusing to me. It seems to be a constant tug of war between the good guys and the bad guys.
Do you know of any websites or anything, that explains these things in great, exhaustive detail?
Thanks.

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

The parties involved during the arian controversies were not monolithic and involved numerous factions. For instance after the council of Nicea, those factions labeled as 'arian' did not consider themselves arian. Its a label placed on them by the pro-nicean party. Likewise the (semi) arian factions labeled the Nicean party as sabellanists. Both bishops and secular leaders could be swayed to change their positions and allegiances with the proper argument.

Many who supported Nicea only done so to depose Arius which they agreed was a heretic, but rejected the bulk of the council for using the term 'homoousios'. Homoousios was a term infamously used by the sabellanists, many wanted nothing to do with such a term. A faction of semi-arians held the council of Antioch in 341 a.d.which was meant to replace the nicene creed with a substitute, but never gained traction. Nonetheless, the canons of that council (whose particiapnts tended to be hostile to St Athansius) actually retained many elements of Nicea including the calculation of pascha, and are Orthodox.

#3 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

You could read this from our own Fr Irenee

http://www.monachos....-full-of-arians

Also go through the other pages of the Patristics section of Monachos and see what you can find.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#4 Vangelis

Vangelis

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

http://en.wikipedia....dria#His_Exiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users