6 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony38

Anthony38

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hi, I hope I have placed this in the right section.

Does anyone know of Orthodox texts, liturgical or biblical, in the Dutch language?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:37 AM

My great books website lists a couple of online resources for the Bible in Dutch (hopefully neither of the links are broken).

There are some online texts in Dutch at the website of Sts. Peter and Paul church in the Netherlands (since I don't read Dutch I don't know what they are).

And the online bookstore Orthodox Logos has what looks like a section for Dutch books.

Hopefully something out of those is useful.

#3 Anthony38

Anthony38

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:18 AM

The first link links to protestant bibles, especially a very modern translation.

The second uses a older protestant translation, but they have some rhymed psalms.

The third link is really interesting, a lot of books published in Dutch. They have a commentary on Matthew, that is good. The full bible they offer is a roman catholic translation, I already have that one. Too bad there doesn't seem to be an Orthodox translation in Dutch.

Thanks for the links. The third one will be really useful.

#4 Sarah Wagner-Wassen

Sarah Wagner-Wassen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

You will find with the Dutch texts is that there are many different "versions" of translations of the liturgy. Some translations used the Protestant vocabulary, and others used Catholic vocabulary. Which parish uses which is not really divided on the North/South line, more just whatever they like.

There is, in fact, a quite nice translation of the Chrysostom liturgy into Dutch done by the Catholics. Apparently, one of the Uniate churches wanted to be able to serve in Dutch, so they produced it for them. Off the top of my head I'm not sure where you can buy one, but I just wanted to let you know that it does exist. It's actually a full service book, with musical notations and parts of the menaion and etc. Most Dutch service books used in Orthodox parishes are, err, problematic. Owing mostly to the above mentioned problem of every parish practically having their own translation.

There are more Orthodox books in Dutch than what is listed in the Orthodox Logos site, though they may now be quite out of print. Ware's Orthodox Church, for example, exists in Dutch, though it was translated by a Belgian (not that there's anything wrong with that....). The Orthodox bookstore I knew of in Amsterdam is now actually out of business, otherwise they may have been of some help tracking those things down for you.

#5 Anthony38

Anthony38

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

I hope I can find the Chrysostom liturgy translation. Perhaps I can ask the uniate chapel in Drongen, Belgium, but I don't know if they celebrate in Dutch.

I have found some excerpts from the Dutch book called "Kallistos Ware : My way to Orthodoxy" on the internet.

#6 Macrina Walker

Macrina Walker

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:43 AM

I'm not sure if it's the same Catholic translation that Sarah refers to, but the monks of Chevetogne publish a small booklet of the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom in Dutch. It is sold in their shop.

You could also contact the Orthodox monastery of the Nativity of the Mother of God in Asten as they are busy with liturgical translations. As Sarah says, there are many different versions, but I seem to remember that there has been an attempt to introduce some uniformity of translation. Mother Maria at Asten would be able to tell you more.

#7 Michael Donley

Michael Donley

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

The Monastery in The Hague has been producing and selling for 50 years a plethora of Orthodox texts in Dutch - Liturgy, Vigil, Oktoich, Sacraments, Feasts, Menaion etc. New Testament, too - though I'm not sure about the Old.
Orthodox Klooster, Dr Kuyperstraat 2
2514 BB Den Haag
Tel. 070-363-84-84
www.orthodoxklooster.nl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users