2 replies to this topic

#1 Augustine C.

Augustine C.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

I was in search of a book, or some other writing, that discusses Church History. More specifically, what I was interested in is the change that has happened throughout the centuries. For example, first there was a change when the Roman Catholic Church went it's own way (new ideas came about), then the Reformation happened (which completed changed a lot of the theology and brought about a lot of new ideas, or rather old maybe heretical ideas?) and then there was the neo-Protestant churches that brought even more changes. The main thing I've noticed is that the Orthodox Church has held to the original teachings, while all the other churches and movements have so many different teachings. So the book I'm in search of would be one that does an overview of all (or at least the major) these changes and shows how these ideas came about (like the Reformation being so radical because of the Catholic Church). What I have in mind is something that explains this chart: http://img261.images...rchlinexz8.png/ and some of the various teaching's that show how far some of the denominations are from the truth.

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

Bishop Kallistos (Timothy Ware) published The Orthodox Church. The first half of the book covers the history of the Church, the second part goes into the teachings. The Church Historian par excellence is Jaroslav Pelikan, a former Lutheran who became Orthodox. His 5 volume The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine is probably the definitive reference on the subject.

Herman the definitive Pooh

#3 Augustine C.

Augustine C.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:33 AM

Is there anything I have to watch out for in "The Orthodox Church" book? Like is there anything controversial or something the Church doesn't agree with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users