#1 Jim McQuiggin

Jim McQuiggin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

I noticed that in a recent post I used a common nickname for Richard, as in a fictional detective whose last name is Tracy. It is also paired with "Jane" in learning-to-read books that were popular a few decades ago. The name appears as ****(in this post the asterisks are mine). I didn't realize that my teachers at school were such filthy people:rolleyes:!

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

The automatic censoring software does seem a bit aggressive at times. It is also somewhat humorous when you have to talk around the common Russian custom on Palm Sunday when you don't have palms readily available...

Herman the censored Pooh

#3 Michael Astley

Michael Astley

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

I think it is self-defeating in that it draws attention to the alternative meaning of words and thus leads people's minds to things that probably would never have occurred to them had the word just been left in its unadulterated form. Can this feature not be switched off? I find it somewhat hurtful that it is considered that, if this safeguard were not in place, we would all run amok, posting filthy words all over monachos.net with gleeful abandon. I like to think that we are a little more grown up than that here.

As it happens, the use of greenery such as box and ***** willow was common in Britain before the more recent rage for the loathsome practice of importing dead, dried out, fallow palm crosses from the other side of the world, which Orthodox now seem to be copying from their Anglican and Catholic neighbours.

M

#4 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Our parish uses both, with the miracle of modern transport, our palms are nice and fresh (generally from Florida or California, not the other side of the world) but we are able to cut our own branches of that certain asterisk'ed willow ourselves which is nice.

The censoring software is a bit overzealous, but it may be integral to the policy of the website and out of our hands. Ah, such is the wonder and whimsy of the weird, wild and wacky world wide web.

Herman the alliterative Pooh

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:05 AM

As it happens, the use of greenery such as box and pussywillow was common in Britain before the more recent rage for the loathsome practice of importing dead, dried out, fallow palm crosses from the other side of the world, which Orthodox now seem to be copying from their Anglican and Catholic neighbours.

Ah, here in the Antipodes, where the seasons are opposite, (Christmas and Theophany in blazing heat is simply incomprehensible to many of you) we have the luxury of both fresh palm branches, and fresh pussywillow available. Russian churches, almost by definition, have a couple of birch trees planted near the entrance of the church, and one or two pussywillow plants out the back.

PS: Seems I've found a way to circumvent the censor. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users