#21 Albion

Albion

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

The blessing was mine for the gift and theirs if received in need. The condemnation was also theirs if they scammed me. So God be the Judge. I give from a free heart without the need to determine if they are going to use it to feed their 5 kids or buy drugs and beer. Perhaps to that person both are necessary just to get through the night. Paul

This reminds me of an amusing experience I had when I was last in Manhattan. I was walking up the street one night, passing a restaurant, and a young woman approached me. She said she needed money for food.

I reached for my wallet, but she stopped me and said something like: "No, you have to come in to the restaurant and buy it, so you will know this isn't a scam." I told her I really didn't want to join her for dinner and again offered her some money. She refused.

Returning that way perhaps a half hour later I saw her again, with a styrofoam food container and happily munching away. As I passed she said something in a light-hearted way about how somebody hadn't let her starve. We both had a chuckle and I continued on my way.

#22 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

<snip>
... I started looking for a way to make that through an Orthodox organisation, but found that very difficult in the UK....

In the end I could not find a UK-based Eastern Orthodox charity to give to. But after I had given via a Non-Orthodox Christian Charity (WorldVision), I discovered that there was a good Oriental Orthodox Charity without overheads that is easy for a UK bank account holder to donate to.

I know HG +Angaelos personally and trust those who run this one. I'm just posting this to close the loop.

St George Benevolent Fund

Richard.

Edited by Herman Blaydoe, 11 January 2011 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users