Photo
- - - - -

Wondering about an icon of the Theotokos?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Daniel

John Daniel

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

I have an icon of the Theotokos and I was wondering what this particular type of icon is called. I have included an attachment at the bottom of the page of what she looks like.
Thank you in advance my brothers and sisters in Christ! :)

Attached File  Holy Virgin.png   77.15K   47 downloads

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

The icon is one of many variants of the Tenderness/Oumileniye/Glykofiloussa type. It is closest to the Yakhromskaya and Yaroslavskaya compositions.

#3 John Daniel

John Daniel

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

Thank you Olga!
I have another question if you don't mind answering :) Is there a reason why Christ's finger is at the Virgin's lips? It almost looks like He's telling her not to say something. Is that correct? Is it supposed to reflect the part of the Akathist where it says, "Hail, you give birth to the Inexpressible Light! Hail, you tell no one how it was accomplished!"?

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

If you look closely, John, the Christ-child's little hand is caressing His mother's face in affection and, importantly, consolation. Here is an example of the two icons I mentioned previously, which show this lovely gesture:

Yaroslavskaya:

Posted Image

Yakhromskaya:

Posted Image

#5 John Daniel

John Daniel

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:41 AM

Oh, how sweet! :) I much better like the idea of Him caressing her than silencing her. Thank you for the clarification!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users