#1 Todd G

Todd G

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

hi guys,

I have been reading these self introductions for a couple of days now. They are so interesting that I tried to read all 17 pages of them, some read more in depth than others.

my name is Todd and I live in Cambridge England. I am from the US but have not lived there in years, having been an English teacher in East Asia (China and Japan) and then the middle east (saudi arabia) for about ten years. I am now working on a PHD in Eastern Christianity and writing a dissertation on the Church of the East (no longer called "Nestorians") and the issue of patronage in Tang China and its connections to their experience and history in the Persian empire.

I have been intersted in Orthodoxy for years. I became a catholic in the mid 1990s but really found that I was an Anglo-Catholic, as I spent time in both Anglican and Catholic settings, but also some Byzantine Catholic settings. I think there is some real holiness and truth in the Catholic church and in some forms of Anglicanism (and with Evangelicals) but that he Orthodox tradition and based on the Greek fathers is where the most truth is. I also think the papacy has erred and is based on a false notion of tradition, one that does not exist in reality as it does in their perceptions.

So, I am now looking at the possibility of becoming a catechumen with a Russian Orthodox parish here in Cambridge. I greatly enjoy the Ancient Faith Radio broadcasts which I download. I am taking this one day at a time, but I still feel that Jesus' message is bigger than any one church. I also feel as long as the Jesus and the Bible is there, along with Patristic spirit is there, the Greek fathers as well as others, and monasticism is there, then we have the truth. This is found in the Church of the East and the Coptic and Ethiopic church too, not just the Greek and Russian churches. So, I don't know if I will ever be completely Orthodox, but I am trying.

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Welcome Todd, and congratulations for being the first new member of the new year to introduce himself and create a new thread!

To all, welcome to the Discussion Community! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to other members of the forum.

Herman

#3 Moses Alexander

Moses Alexander

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hey everyone,

My name is Moses and I became a Christian in a "free" type church almost 4 years ago. Then last year in April a friend brought me to our local Greek Orthodox church here in Belfast, a few weeks later I became a catechumen. Then in July I was chrismated taking on the name Moses. I have spent my time since first coming to the Orthodox church learning about the history and traditions of the Orthodox faith. I really feel that I have found my faith in God and that I am getting stronger in God.

May God bless you all

Prayerful Moses

#4 Debbie

Debbie

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

Greetings and blessings, everyone:

Hello, my name is Debbie, and I live in New York. My religious background is a bit checkered. I was baptized as a Roman Catholic, but was coerced to follow a cult of Christianity when I was still a child. Only in the last few years have I been able to escape their terrible spiritual abuse.

When I left the cult, I thought that I would have to return to Roman Catholicism (this time as a fully knowledgeable adult), so I started to research the early apostolic church. But my research didn’t lead me where I assumed it would; instead, it lead me to Holy Orthodoxy.

I have always believed in God, and I shall always be indebted to the Roman Catholic Church for being the first to inculcate the love of God in me. However, I believe that the Orthodox Church is the truest embodiment of the apostolic church. Even with this belief, I still have much to learn about Orthodoxy, which is why I have joined the forum.

Please help me and pray for me, a sinner.
In Christ,
Debbie

#5 Fred B.

Fred B.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hello,
My name is Fred. I live in Oklahoma, and only discovered Orthodoxy last year (2010). I was raised Church of Christ, but became an atheist at an early age, then came to know Jesus Christ when I was 22. I never joined any church because I felt I would be better off learning on my own, rather than going to a Protestant church I felt no connection to. Over the years I became gradually aware of Orthodoxy, yet without really understanding what it was. For example, I read Way of a Pilgrim and was amazed at it's depth, so I started reading the Philokalia and was really blown away, but was still not aware of Orthodoxy somehow. In spring of 2010 I began to realize that Orthodoxy was a distinct branch of Christianity still alive today. I began reading everything I could find and was amazed to see that all of the long-held questions that had kept me from Protestant churches were answered in Orthodoxy. I despaired briefly in the thought that I had found the true church but would never be able to attend, then a google search revealed an Antiochian mission parish right here in my home town of Norman.

I remained skeptical, not wanting to be taken in by falsehood, but every time I tried to learn more about Orthodoxy through reading, I would be overwhelmed by the thought that "I need to go to this church to experience it firsthand". I sent Father Justin McFeeters of Holy Ascension in Norman an email asking him what I should do, and he confirmed exactly the feeling that I had...I needed to come and see for myself. I did, with my wife, and we both instantly fell in love, and felt like we had finally come home. And of course, the first thing Father Justin said to us was "Welcome Home!". :)

So now I am learning as much as I can about Orthodoxy, working to de-program a lifetime of Protestant thinking, and struggling to attempt the spiritual disciplines of the Church. I will be baptized at Pascha this year, God willing. I thank God daily for His blessed Church, for maintaining it through the centuries, for bringing me to His Church, and for bringing my wife also, who is as much in love as I. Many thanks to the Monachos community for being such an incredible and soul-saving resource for seekers such as myself.

With love,
-Fred

#6 Nikita J.

Nikita J.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi everyone

My name is Nikita, i am a member of the Malankara Orthodox Church in India, I live in South africa, was brought up here all my life, many of our church members live here as well, we have our own branch in SA :) I wanted to learn more about our beliefs and doctrine, our priests are only able to come twice a year from India to conduct services here, so i have a lot of unanswered questions which i hope will be answered here and will help strengthen my faith...

Thank you :)

#7 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Greetings and blessings, everyone:

Hello, my name is Debbie, and I live in New York. My religious background is a bit checkered. I was baptized as a Roman Catholic, but was coerced to follow a cult of Christianity when I was still a child. Only in the last few years have I been able to escape their terrible spiritual abuse.

When I left the cult, I thought that I would have to return to Roman Catholicism (this time as a fully knowledgeable adult), so I started to research the early apostolic church. But my research didn’t lead me where I assumed it would; instead, it lead me to Holy Orthodoxy.

I have always believed in God, and I shall always be indebted to the Roman Catholic Church for being the first to inculcate the love of God in me. However, I believe that the Orthodox Church is the truest embodiment of the apostolic church. Even with this belief, I still have much to learn about Orthodoxy, which is why I have joined the forum.

Please help me and pray for me, a sinner.
In Christ,
Debbie

Welcome Debbie!
You may want to speak with your priest about your background if you need any help.

#8 Igor Vikhlyantsev

Igor Vikhlyantsev

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Dear worthy fathers, brothers and sisters.

Let me briefly introduce myself. My name is Igor. I am Russian and I am living in Volgograd. There is a big city on the right side of the Volga. Fortunately I have never known another religion except Orthodox. I was baptized from childhood. Communist government did not encourage religion in the country those times. On the contrary authorities were able to fire you out for religion. The faith was hidden in a depth of family life. But at childhood I was not really religion as many other people. Since the middle of 90th I have been trying to live with the Christian Orthodox church. My professional scope is very far away from theology. I am an internal auditor at the gas transport company. The main target is my family. I wish to uncover them the real beauty of human life which is possible through the Holy Communion. We are churchgoers of the Epiphany Parish at the Volgograd Diocese (www.vlgeparh.com) at the Moscow Patriarchate (www.mospat.ru). Our parish is responsible for orthodox pilgrims throughout Russian Holy places. From time to time I log in “monachos.net” to look for opinions other members of Orthodox churches. And recently I have dared to write some words.

In Christ
Igor Vikhlyantsev

#9 Debbie

Debbie

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Welcome Debbie!
You may want to speak with your priest about your background if you need any help.

Thank you for the welcome Ben.
I am still pretty new to Orthodoxy, so I don't have a priest to consult or a parish as of yet. I have been searching for a parish that is wheelchair-accessible so that my husband, who is disabled, can attend services with me. The few Orthodox churches that I know of that are wheelchair-accessible are of some distance from us, and we don't have a car.

#10 Todd G

Todd G

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Hi Debbie,

I also spent 15 years as an RC, having been raised Evangelical. I have done alot of reading lately on the issue of the Petrine foundations of the RC church. Send me an email if you want to talk about this. I'd rather not get into it in public and I don't think the moderator would want that either.

Todd

#11 Jimmy K

Jimmy K

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Greetings, and Happy New Year to everyone. I am an Orthodox Christian born to parents of the former Yugoslavia. I attended a multi-ethnic Greek Orthodox Church from the time I was born until the time I left north Louisiana for the City of New Orleans. home of the first organized Greek Orthodox parish in the United States. I attend two different churches on occasion, i.e., St. Basil's and Holy Trinity Cathedral, the latter of which is relatively new but has some of the most beautiful iconography I've seen in this country.

Best regards,

Jimmy

#12 Erica

Erica

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hello,

My name is Erica. I am soon to be 26 years old in Feb. I am a mother of a wonderful 6 year old, and 2 years ago I was blessed enough to find my soul-mate. I stumbled across this website while trying to determine if praying to saints would help me further in my quest to conceive another child. In March 2010 we found out that both my tubes were closed, making it impossible for us to have a baby. I have since prayed for a miracle, as I do not wish to go through IVF. I was raised as Baptist and Pentecostal, so I do have a strong belief in God. A couple months ago I had watched a video clip of a couple who prayed to a saint to heal their son that was injured very badly and the outcome was astonishing! Ever since it has always been in the back of my mind, never forgotten and then last night I began my research into the Orthodox religion. I must have spent over 6 hrs overviewing saint's information! Anyways, so that's me! :)

#13 Kassi

Kassi

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

G'day everyone,

I thought I'd post a quick intro :) I'm Kassi and I'm in the beginning stages of becoming Orthodox. I've been attending a local mission church since hmmm.. October I think it was, last year.
For thirteen years before that I was Muslim, so I'm new to both Christianity and specifically Orthodoxy.

Best
Kassi

#14 Richard Miller

Richard Miller

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:20 AM

Greetings! My name is Richard, I'm from St. Louis, Missouri in the USA. I have been Orthodox for a little over 1 year now. I grew up Roman Catholic, tried Protestantism, but grew tired of the illogical belief that all Protestant beliefs are correct even though they sometimes contradict one another. I gave up on Christianity for about 5 years when I converted to Islam or reverted as Muslims call it. Anyhow I discovered Orthodoxy, which cleared up the misguidances found in Protestantism and Roman Catholicism, so by the grace of God I discovered a wonderful Russian(ROCOR) Parish in the St. Louis area called Saint Basils.

I'm in my mid 30's, married, and have 3 children. My wife also became Orthodox, but her transition was more difficult than my own.

#15 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hello, welcome to the Monachos forums I hope you find them useful, make sure you check out the rest of the site as well as there is a lot of helpful information and Patristic texts.

#16 Kyrill Bolton

Kyrill Bolton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Debbie:

If you would call a priest at one of the churches and explain your need he may be able to help. In Denver, for instance, I know of at least two Orthodox churches that have members who (lovingly) view the opportunity to provide transportation to and from church as a blessing to themselves. Many priest are aware of such needs and can help you.

Edited by Kyrill Bolton, 09 February 2011 - 02:17 PM.
to add name of addressee

#17 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to all new comers. Many converts come to Christian Orthodoxy via circuitous routes or almost by accident (including myself). A question I keep asking but never really get to the bottom of is why is it so hard ? Clearly for those, who through their ethnicity, have been born into an Orthodox family this is not an issue but why is Orthodox Christianity so hard to find? All variants of and all other religions are, I would say , much more public and overt. Not necessarily easier to follow but easier to find. The barriers of language and the barriers of ancient empires no longer exist so how can we make it easier for people to find us?

#18 Pierre C.

Pierre C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Pierre, I'm 26 and I live in Paris, France. I practice medecine and I am currently fellow resident in the field of surgical pathology.
My wife and I became Orthodox Christians three years ago throught chrismation since we were both baptised as babies in RC and protestant church respectively. We were baptised as a "cultural" habit but our family are non believers so we discovered christianity in the orthodox Church, thanks to an orthodox friend of ours. We attend Divine Liturgy in a russian parish of the EP in Paris, and we visit frequently a greek monastery in the french country, which is a metochia of Simonos Petra on the Holy Mountain.

I'm very interested in patristic teachings and most of my free time is spent in learning from their writings and I am glad to discover the wonderful resources from this site and forum.

#19 Barbara Ried Johnson

Barbara Ried Johnson

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

HI Pierre,

Welcome to the forum! There are several forum on the net. Monachos is one of the very best.
I can read any post without worrying about reading anything offensive. There are no political rants or ad hominem attacks against anyone.
I always find at least one or two topics of real interest.

I, too, am a convert. I converted in 1988 through my involvement with the Holy Order of MANS.
I can say, unequivocally, that the single best thing that I have ever done in my life, bar none, has been to become an Orthodox Christian.

Welcome and I hope your wife will consider joining in on the conversation, as well!

Sincerely,

Barbara

#20 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

HI Pierre,

Welcome to the forum! There are several forum on the net. Monachos is one of the very best.
Barbara

THE best. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users