197 replies to this topic

#21 David Lanier

David Lanier

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

Dear worthy fathers, brothers and sisters.

Let me briefly introduce myself. My name is Igor. I am Russian and I am living in Volgograd. There is a big city on the right side of the Volga. Fortunately I have never known another religion except Orthodox. I was baptized from childhood. Communist government did not encourage religion in the country those times. On the contrary authorities were able to fire you out for religion. The faith was hidden in a depth of family life. But at childhood I was not really religion as many other people. Since the middle of 90th I have been trying to live with the Christian Orthodox church. My professional scope is very far away from theology. I am an internal auditor at the gas transport company. The main target is my family. I wish to uncover them the real beauty of human life which is possible through the Holy Communion. We are churchgoers of the Epiphany Parish at the Volgograd Diocese (www.vlgeparh.com) at the Moscow Patriarchate (www.mospat.ru). Our parish is responsible for orthodox pilgrims throughout Russian Holy places. From time to time I log in “monachos.net” to look for opinions other members of Orthodox churches. And recently I have dared to write some words.

In Christ
Igor Vikhlyantsev

Welcome to monachos.net Igor! May God lead you and your family deeper into the faith of His Holy Church!

#22 Ian A.

Ian A.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

Hi, I'm Ian, I am a Traditional Latin Rite Catholic from Newfoundland, Canada. I have always loved the Traditions and Liturgy of my Eastern Brethren and even considered switching to one of the various rites used in the Eastern Catholic Curches. I come here to learn more about the Theology and Liturgical heritage of the Eastern Churches (both Catholic and Orthodox).

#23 Dimitrios T

Dimitrios T

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hello Eveyone,

My name is Dimi (Dimitrios) and I'm from Australia. I'm a 39 year old male born into an Orthodox family (baptized when an infant). My mum is from the Greek Island of Crete and my Dad is Macedonian, and I grew up attending the Macedonian Orthodox Church (please no political rants). I strayed from the Church for many years but always felt God in my heart always, calling me. Recently I put many evil things aside and started listening again, and by the good grace of our Lord, he was still there with all his love and forgiveness.

God bless you all, this website is without a doubt the work of our Lord.

#24 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

THE best. :)

:) The best of the best. The cream of the crop. :)

Welcome everyone. Your stories are humbling me and made me cry. Thank you and thank God for you.

#25 Dennis Justison

Dennis Justison

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hello everyone. I have been studying Orthodoxy for about five years. I have worked within the Catholic Church for seven years as a Director of Religious Education. I have had some ups and downs in life that have made me question my faith and church attendance. I have experienced the death of two children. The first was a baby, the second was an 11 year old boy. During the second instance (with Jay about two years ago) I was working at a parish. I was completely surprised at the way I was treated. During cancer treatment in Minneapolis my family had to stay at a Ronald McDonald House for about 7 months. The parish council thought I was spending too much time with my family and not at the church. I won't get into details, but this strengthened my resolve to study Orthodoxy more seriously. Well, here I am, I have found a parish that is about an hour away and I have begun to attend. I am planning on joining. I have read many books. I have incorporated much of Orthodox spirituality into my life already including fasting and prayer. But I desire the parish experience and to get to know others on a deeper level.

To learn more about Orthodoxy is one reason I am on Monachos. I am eager to learn more about the Orthodox way of life. But I want to make this a positive move, not one of running away from something else out of frustration or anger. So far, I think I have been able to do that. I am happy with my Orthodox experience so far.

#26 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Welcome,
I'm sorry to here about your children and the lack of support given to you by your old parish.
I think think you make a good point in your last paragraph and I hope you are able to continue to do so.
I also hope you find Monachos useful check the main page out as it has a lot on it as well as the forums- it is down at the moment but hopefully shall be back up soon.

Yours Daniel,

#27 Christopher M. Bryan

Christopher M. Bryan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I live with my wife and two young daughters in York, UK. I've been 'looking into' Orthodoxy for some months now, after being raised Catholic but becoming Protestant in my teens. Unfortunately there isn't a local parish that we can find community in, but (praise God!) there is a monk who lives close by who welcomes visitors to his chapel for Liturgy. We are still members at our Anglican parish because we believe in the necessity for Christian community, and yet I am becoming more and more convinced (intellectually, spiritually, emotionally) that Orthodoxy is really the Church of the NT. That realisation has brought both relief and frustration, as I wish we could participate in an Orthodox community! However I believe that God is teaching me to wait for his timing, because I always like to rush ahead. (I want everything now!) I am looking to the monk I mentioned for guidance, and look forward to becoming Orthodox someday. In the meantime I know God is looking after me and my family, and I try to stay focused on prayer and love.

Thanks to everyone who makes this such a great community, and I look forward to benefiting from this resource.

Chris

#28 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

Hello,

Welcome to the Monachos forums. I'm glad you and your family are looking in to Orthodoxy and that you are able to get to a Liturgy at the monks chapel.

I looked on-line and I managed to find the following communities: The Orthodox Community of St Paulinus of York under New Rome, The Community of Sts Constantine and Helen under Antioch, and the The Orthodox Community of St Paulinus of York under Moscow. Have you tried to see if one of these is still going. A list with telephone numbers is here http://www.orthodoxe...ectory_2007.pdf

Yours Daniel,

#29 Christopher M. Bryan

Christopher M. Bryan

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi Daniel R. How nice of you to look for me :)

Unfortunately our geographic scope is quite limited because we don't drive. The St. Paulinus community, for example, is quite a distance from York proper. Sts Constantine and Helen is in town, and I plan on visiting them soon! Even so, it is a far walk for a 3-year old, and carrying an infant. Our Anglican parish is a loving and open community, and, as best as I can discern God's will, it would not honour him to neglect building relationships with the Christians living in our own neighbourhood. I cannot call myself an Anglican any longer, and I know in my spirit that I will someday be Orthodox (and my head and heart, in some sense, already are!) But I am leaving the timing up to God and waiting with open hands. I feel not unlike the Israelites wandering through the desert (what a wonderful focus for Lent!) I welcome anyone's wisdom and advice on my situation, and am so thankful for online community, even if it's not a substitute for the real thing!

Thank you,

Chris

#30 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Oh right, I can see how it is hard to walk too far with a 3-year old in tow. I hope your visit goes well, maybe in the future when you get to know people there one of them might be able to give you and your family a lift.

I am leaving the timing up to God and waiting with open hands.

That's always the best bet. :)

Hope you have a good lent.

Daniel,

#31 Jovana Sumar

Jovana Sumar

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hi there guys!!

I'm a 24-year old cradle Serbian Orthodox. My dad is a priest and I have been raised with all of the traditions the Orthodox Church can provide.

I wasn't always a full believer. I went through a year or so where I doubted the existence of God and nothing in the Orthodox Church appealed to me (long story about why). Anywho, I was going through a bad situation and God showed himself to me (not literally, of course - but through his own way) and ever since 16 I have known he is with me.

I am a big believer in love. I really dislike it when some preaches to me about God and Christianity but forgets about the fundamentals such as not judging and loving your neighbour.

I am striving to become a better person and want to talk to like-minded people - so here I am!!

Looking forward to being part of the forum (=

#32 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to the Forum,

Yours Daniel,

P.S. Sorry for the short welcome.

#33 Dennis Justison

Dennis Justison

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Alot of your story rings true with me too. I grew up not believing in anything but science, then because of some hardships in life I began to believe and joined the Catholic Church. I have recently moved and now I am near (within about an hour's drive of an Orthodox Church) and I too feel pulled, almost like a magnet to the faith, the teaching and the practices. I just joined this forum too, so we will learn and experience together. So, welcome, nice to have you aboard. God bless you!

#34 Andra K.

Andra K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello and this is my introduction. My name is Andra and I was born and raised in the Greek Orthodox faith. I live on the East Coast of the USA. I am interested in deepening my spiritual practice and more fully living my faith. I do not have a spiritual advisor nor am I sure how to acquire one. I also am not sure that I would even be ready to utilize one as I am a bit distrustful and also struggle with intermittent feelings of despair and fatigue.

I consider myself a techosaur--meaning I am not very skilled at the computer and am behind the times regarding technology LOL. Having said that, I have been searching for an online Orthodox Christian community to offer guidance and support and the opportunity to learn.

I have a supportive and loving family. I have many blessings and I express gratitude daily for these gifts.

I most likely will just lurk here and will just see how my involvement plays out. I dont think it is healthy to trust too quickly especially on an internet forum. I have enjoyed reading some of the past threads and have even gotten a chuckle from a few of them (i.e. the exercise thread!)

Andra

#35 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hi Andra! Welcome!
I love this forum. I'm new here too - I've only been around for 2 months. But somehow I've already managed to annoy a few others! :)

I thought the exercise thread was humorous, also.

#36 Andra K.

Andra K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Christina, thank you for the welcome :) I have enjoyed reading your posts and have not been annoyed by them LOL!

Andra

#37 Dennis Justison

Dennis Justison

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi Andra,

Welcome! Blessings to your family. I hope this community can become a kind of spiritual family and support you too. I have found it to be a treasure house of information so far with a lot of people a lot wiser than me. As far as a spiritual advisor goes, I'd start with your parish priest and go from there. Then, just listen with the ear of your heart. Peace be with you.

Dennis

#38 Julia P.

Julia P.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:01 AM

I've been reading posts on this website for awhile and only recently decided to join. I don't know how I active I'll be...I have to admit I'm a bit of lurker. :o

A brief bit about myself: I was raised Roman Catholic, then became a lapsed Catholic. I converted to Orthodoxy before my wedding to my Orthodox husband. I was never a catechumen, only attended a handful of services with my fiance and I think I read one book. I just felt really at home in the services, so much so that when I attended Roman Catholic mass again during that time I really missed the Orthodox liturgy. So, I was chrisimated (sp?) in Kiev and we had our wedding service the following weekend. When everything settled down after the wedding and we returned to the U.S., then I began to try to learn more about my new faith.

Sometimes I regret not having spent more time learning about Orthodoxy before converting (not that it would have changed my mind or anything!) But I also believe that God, knowing me better than I know myself, set things up in just the way that would work for my life situation.

That was almost 4 years ago. Now I'm a stay at home mom to a one year old girl and just trying to be a good Christian example to her. I have a lot of questions along the way, though, and I've consulted many discussion threads on this site for answers and may have a few questions to post myself.

#39 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Welcome Julia to this forum,

This is a great site, and you will learn a lot of things here. Its refreshing to hear that you a trying to be a good christian role model for your daughter :) , not many parents have this as their priority.

Once again welcome!

With Love in Christ
Angela

#40 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

Great Oaks from little acorns grow.