Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone know if these monasteries actually exist?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of the following Orthodox monasteries? And I mean more than a simple listing of the monastery in an online directory. I know of several monasteries that are still listed places that no longer exist, or have not yet been established. I would like to know if some has actually visited or knows a monastic at the following monasteries and can confirm their status.

St. Nektarios Monastery in Roscoe NY
Nativity of St. John the Baptist in Denver CO
Hermitage of the Theotokos in Livingston NY

If you happen to have a name of the Abbot or Abbess or a real working phone number, that would be wonderful. If you know if they offer overnight accommodations or not, I will be forever in your debt.

Herman the inquiring Pooh

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Oh and I also would like to know if anyone has any information at all on a St. Silouan Monastery in Ben Lomond CA?

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Oh and I also would like to know if anyone has any information at all on a St. Silouan Monastery in Ben Lomond CA?

As far as I know, there are three people at this monastery (under ROCOR) - two monks and a novice, I think. They are, at present, without a priest, however, the abbot of All Merciful Savior Monastery in Seattle comes occasionally to celebrate at the monastery there.

Fr David Moser

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'm planning to visit St. Nektarios this week. They most certainly exist.

Here's their address and number:
100 Lake Anawanda Road
Roscoe, NY 12776
(607) 498-5285

#5 Xenia Moos

Xenia Moos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Yes, this monastery exists. I've seen it with my own eyes and know one of the monks.

#6 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Yes, this monastery exists. I've seen it with my own eyes and know one of the monks.

Does anyone have a physical address, phone number, or point-of-contact that you might be able to share? I am updating my monastery database for a very special project and any information would be helpful for all of these monasteries.

I have received several responses here and elsewhere for St. Nectarios, nice to know they are well-established! I have not received anything to date from anyone on Nativity of St. John the Baptist in Denver CO or the Hermitage of the Theotokos in Livingston NY.

I would like to wrap this effort up this week, so any timely information greatly appreciated!

#7 Xenia Moos

Xenia Moos

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

St Silouan Russian Monastery
1 Brooks Rd
Ben Lomond, CA 95005-9207
(831) 336-5886

Or you can contact Fr. Ignatius at Awakenings Bookstore, which the monastery operates, located in Felton, CA.

6180 Highway 9
Felton, CA 95018
831-335-8109

#8 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

GOARCH lists the Nativity of St. John the Baptist Monastery on their website:

Nativity of Saint John the Baptist
2805 South Forest Street
Denver, CO 80222
Tel.: (303) 691-9916

The name, address and phone are also listed in online phone directories. However, that address is in a residential neighborhood in the central Denver metro area. I checked Google's street view of that area, and it just shows houses. You'd probably have to call to find out what the "real deal" is.

#9 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Looking up "Hermitage of the Theotokos" in Google just links to forums where a couple of people (including you) were asking if it exists (although the other one was supposedly in Texas). There is a Monastery of Our Lady in Beatitude in Livingston Manor, NY, but that's Roman Catholic. The closest Orthodox one I found was the Hermitage of Our Lady of Kursk (ROCOR) in Mahopac (65 miles south of Livingston), but that's apparently been in its current location since it was founded in 1950.

So, even if you would be satisfied with a "simple listing of the monastery in an online directory", or even somebody somewhere just mentioning it, I sure can't come up with anything like that for the Hermitage.

#10 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Michael,

Thanks. Actually looks like "Nativity of St. John" IS currently a house in a residential neighborhood, go figure.

As to the other, there are/have been several monasteries that exist either only on paper or in the aspirations of some individuals, but not yet in this reality. I am trying to weed those out and looks like Livingstone either failed to materialize or did not "take". It happens.

Thanks again to all who responded!

Herman the appreciative pooh

#11 Kyrill Bolton

Kyrill Bolton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Out of curiosity and obedience to the big honey eating bear, I drove by 2805 S. Forest yesterday. The house appears to be either abandoned or maybe the inhabitants (being relatives of the aforesaid big bear) are in hibernation. The property having received some snow last week showed no trace of tire tracks in the driveway or footsteps to the door, etc.

#12 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

A while ago, when I was driving through the town of North Wales, PA, and had just acquired a GPS, out of curiosity I searched for anything "orthodox" in the area. It turns out that there was something listed as "St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery" in that very town. I drove by- it's a house in a residential neighborhood, with a fountain in front. I found a number listed for them online but no one picked up. I have no idea what jurisdiction they would be under.

#13 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Guys, next time; go knock. What's the worst that could happen? They give you a blessing and slam the door in your face. :)

Besides if they are frauds, it might be good for them to know they are being "watched".

Paul

#14 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

A while ago, when I was driving through the town of North Wales, PA, and had just acquired a GPS, out of curiosity I searched for anything "orthodox" in the area. It turns out that there was something listed as "St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery" in that very town. I drove by- it's a house in a residential neighborhood, with a fountain in front. I found a number listed for them online but no one picked up. I have no idea what jurisdiction they would be under.

Whatever it is, it is not listed as a monastic institution on the GOAA official website. In my research I have come across more than one group calling itself "Orthodox" that is not part of any recognized Orthodox group—an unfortunate by-product of the current canonical anarchy that is Orthodoxy in America today.

#15 Jason H.

Jason H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

an unfortunate by-product of the current canonical anarchy that is Orthodoxy in America today.

That is why we must pray, and I mean really pray, that the Orthodox Episcopal Assembly will do just that.

-Ignatios

#16 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

I have a similar question, and I thought it was too small a question to create a separate thread for. Does anyone have information concerning St Poimens Orthodox Monastery in AZ? I heard of them because of a nice monthly publication of theirs called "Orthodox Heritage", which seems very traditional. How many monks / nuns are there? What jurisdiction? Anybody been there?

#17 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

I have a similar question, and I thought it was too small a question to create a separate thread for. Does anyone have information concerning St Poimens Orthodox Monastery in AZ? I heard of them because of a nice monthly publication of theirs called "Orthodox Heritage", which seems very traditional. How many monks / nuns are there? What jurisdiction? Anybody been there?

I have a parishioner who lived in the area and would frequently visit. It is a women's monastery, but I don't know how many were there. I'll ask my parishioner about it.

Fr David

#18 Marie A.

Marie A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

I have a parishioner who lived in the area and would frequently visit. It is a women's monastery, but I don't know how many were there. I'll ask my parishioner about it.

Fr David

I think you mean St. Paisius Serbian Orthodox Monastery in Safford, AZ. They have about 20 nuns there. St. Poimen's Orthodox Brotherhood publishes the "Orthodox Heritage' and they are in Phoenix. I don't know that they are an actual monastery. I think ther are Greek. I receive their publication also.
--Marie

#19 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:50 AM

I think you mean St. Paisius Serbian Orthodox Monastery in Safford, AZ. They have about 20 nuns there. St. Poimen's Orthodox Brotherhood publishes the "Orthodox Heritage' and they are in Phoenix. I don't know that they are an actual monastery. I think ther are Greek. I receive their publication also.
--Marie

Oops, I guess after I saw "brotherhood", I assumed they were a monastery. Hm, so they're in Phoenix... Do you know if they are affiliated at all with St Anthony's Monastery down there?

#20 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

I was thinking of St Paisius - sorry. I don't know anything about a St Poimen's brotherhood. St Paisius' (Serbian) is not affiliated with St Anthony's (GOA), rather it is affiliated (how closely anymore I'm not sure) with St Herman's in Platina CA.

Fr David Moser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users