6 replies to this topic

#1 Aidan Kimel

Aidan Kimel

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

In Book VII of his Dialogues on the Holy and Consubstantial Trinity (PG 75, 1088D-1089A), St. Cyril writes:

“But if the grace conferred by the Holy Spirit is something divorced from his essence, why did the blessed Moses not state clearly, when the living creature was being brought into being, that the Creator of all things then breathed in grace, the grace which came through the breath of life; or why did Christ not say, ‘Receive grace by the ministry of the Holy Spirit’? But what was breathed into him was named ‘the breath of life,’ for the true life is the nature of the divinity, if in fact it is true that in him we live, and move, and exist; while, by the Savior’s expression ‘Holy Spirit,’ the very Holy Spirit, in truth indwelling and abiding in the souls of the faithful [is signified].”

Is Cyril saying that in by the gift of the Holy Spirit we actually come to participate in the divine essence?

#2 Aidan Kimel

Aidan Kimel

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:35 AM

Here is another interesting citation: "Just as, therefore, the woman is called the glory of the man, because she received a portion of his members to the fashioning of her own [body], so also man is called the glory of God, because he is made a participant in his essence through the Holy Spirit who abides in him." (book 13, chapter 3 of St. Cyril's «Thesaurus»)

I hope Fr Irenei will be able to share with us his thoughts on St Cyril and the essence/energies distinction.

#3 Mina Soliman

Mina Soliman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

I want to bump this and add that if anyone knows of a translation of St. Cyril's "Dialogues on the Trinity" and "Thesaurus", it would be great.  I think St. Cyril needs to be translated for our time as a excellent source of theological learning and overall patristic recapitulation of his own time.

#4 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

It has already stated in other old forum conversations that the terminology is confusing, because at St. Cyril's time there was not a standard theological terminology. 

#5 Carolyn C.

Carolyn C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:22 AM

Dear Mr. Papas,  The bulletin for last Sunday pictured an icon of St. Athanasius and St. Cyril on January 18, their joint feast day.  On this icon St. Athanasius is holding a scroll written in Greek, and St. Cyril is also holding a scroll written in Greek.  Have you ever seen this icon and can you tell me what the scrolls read?  Thank you for your time and trouble. 

#6 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

Dear Mr. Papas,  The bulletin for last Sunday pictured an icon of St. Athanasius and St. Cyril on January 18, their joint feast day.  On this icon St. Athanasius is holding a scroll written in Greek, and St. Cyril is also holding a scroll written in Greek.  Have you ever seen this icon and can you tell me what the scrolls read?  Thank you for your time and trouble. 

Carolyn, the icons I've seen of these saints, if holding a scroll, have a variety of scripts on it. Would it be possible to post the icon from your church bulletin?

#7 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Lakis has a point, and I think to understand what St Cyril is trying to communicate you have to look at whatever error he was trying to address. Just looking at small pieces rather than looking at the whole context of the argument doesn't give much hint at what he is trying to say.

It sounds like someone was trying to say that it is some energy of the Holy Spirit, rather than the Holy Spirit Himself who indwells the Christian and Cyril is affirming that it indeed the Holy Spirit Himself, not just some separate grace/energy that is indwelling the faithful.

Edited by Anna Stickles, 22 January 2015 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users