Photo
- - - - -

Is there a place in the heart that cannot be corrupted?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

Sorry if this is abstract. An Orthodox person was telling me that there is a place in the heart that cannot be corrupted, and that it is always pure. I think this was called the "deep heart". He was quoting this from a writing of His Emminence Kallistos Ware. This seemed contrary to what I've been studying about the human soul, from Metr Hierotheos Vlachos and others. I was under the impression that the entire heart can be corrupted, and usually is - even for those of us who seem externally like "good" people.

Can somebody please help me find the answer to this? Thanks!

#2 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:31 AM

Okay I have some more concrete examples. I found this on another thread here. It's about Metr. Ware's implications that there is a place in the heart that is untouched by evil:

"The first chapter by Bishop Kallistos (Ware) is entitled 'How do we enter the Heart". He begins by speaking about 'Le Point Vierge' "the virgin point" and he quotes Thomas Merton, and St. Mark the Monk (5th Century) who speaks of "the innermost and untroubled treasury of the heart, where the winds of evil spirits do not blow".

First of all I don't know why he would quote Merton, who is a heretic, God rest his soul. But is there really a place in the heart that cannot be corrupted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users