Photo
- - - - -

Is it considered a "sin" to listen to secular music?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#21 John Konstantin

John Konstantin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

The famous Eagles song Hotel California was deemed by the same evangelicals as being all about Satanism. Stairway to Heaven was written in 5 minutes and the writer claims he didn't know where it came from or who was moving his pen. Who knows? I take it all with a pinch of salt.

#22 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

I dunno, maybe we could make a list of all the bad songs so we can avoid them?

Well let's see - I'll nominate my two unfavorites: "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Imagine"

Fr David

#23 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Well let's see - I'll nominate my two unfavorites: "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Imagine"

Fr David

I think I broke something when I tried to contemplate "unfavorite bad songs". :)

#24 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

I better not see The Devil went down to Georgia in your stack Rick. Look what you've done to hijack this thread. Shame on you. Now where's that 30 foot smoker? Seems we now have alot of people coming to your little cook out.

Paul

#25 Jake A.

Jake A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hi Christina, being someone who has done extensive research (if you can call it that) on people behind today's music industry, it is my strong conviction that its best NOT to listen to any music that is being played on the radio. Artists such as Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Wiz Khalifa, U2, Madonna, The Beatles, Miley Cyrus, and everybody in that league are nothing more than puppets for the elite occult satanists that sit on top of the music industry and control the Labels that people sign with. Some might call me a conspiracy theorist, but the occult symbolism is so blatant nowadays that any logical person would cut off all contact with music such as this, of course, first of all, you have to know how to recognize this occult symbolism. Just take my word for it, don't give it too much thought or interest, if you do, the spiritual outcome of such research is damaging to one's spirituality, and the only positive thought is that the Lord Jesus is coming soon to establish justice and get rid of sin. Lucifer was in charge of music in heaven, he is called the lord of the air, using airwaves to brainwash the masses into his occult initiations.

A visit to my friend's "ThePopCulturePastor"s YouTube Channel might reveal a few insights.

#26 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Amra.
Thankfully, I don't listen to any of those artists. I try not to listen to secular music ever. I hate it when songs get stuck in your head. Then when you're trying to pray, you have the song repeating in your head over and over and over again. When this happens, I say: "WHY did you listen to music? You did this to yourself, you fool! Now you suffer the consequences."

#27 Angelos

Angelos

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi Christina, being someone who has done extensive research (if you can call it that) on people behind today's music industry, it is my strong conviction that its best NOT to listen to any music that is being played on the radio. Artists such as Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Wiz Khalifa, U2, Madonna, The Beatles, Miley Cyrus, and everybody in that league are nothing more than puppets for the elite occult satanists that sit on top of the music industry and control the Labels that people sign with. Some might call me a conspiracy theorist, but the occult symbolism is so blatant nowadays that any logical person would cut off all contact with music such as this, of course, first of all, you have to know how to recognize this occult symbolism. Just take my word for it, don't give it too much thought or interest, if you do, the spiritual outcome of such research is damaging to one's spirituality, and the only positive thought is that the Lord Jesus is coming soon to establish justice and get rid of sin. Lucifer was in charge of music in heaven, he is called the lord of the air, using airwaves to brainwash the masses into his occult initiations.

A visit to my friend's "ThePopCulturePastor"s YouTube Channel might reveal a few insights.

this is some crazy post - and I mean really crazy - the paranoid conspiracy kind - the kind that secular people see and make fun of Christians as religious nuts.

Edited by Angelos, 17 January 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#28 Jake A.

Jake A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

this is some crazy post - and I mean really crazy - the paranoid conspiracy kind - the kind that secular people see and make fun of Christians as religious nuts.

Angelino, look up people like Jonas Akerlund, notorious music producer who works with Madonna, Lady Gaga, and others, he is a known Satanist. Also it would help for you to check out my latest video (http://www.youtube.c...rthodoxyIsTruth) that I did on Wiz Khalifa.

Why is it that people like John Todd, Bill Cooper, and Fritz Springmeyer, who expose government officials for the Satanists, mind controlled sex slave abusers, and the music industry for being another form of mind control, are either jailed on rape charges or violently killed? There is plenty of evidence to suggest that modern pop music is in fact another distraction of Satan, those who wish to think otherwise are in denial, not realizing that Satan is the Lord of this World, and you cannot and will not succeed without your (conscious or subconscious) allegiance to him.

Do some research, the demons are working hard in the last days

#29 Angelos

Angelos

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Angelino, look up people like Jonas Akerlund, notorious music producer who works with Madonna, Lady Gaga, and others, he is a known Satanist. Also it would help for you to check out my latest video (http://www.youtube.c...rthodoxyIsTruth) that I did on Wiz Khalifa.

Why is it that people like John Todd, Bill Cooper, and Fritz Springmeyer, who expose government officials for the Satanists, mind controlled sex slave abusers, and the music industry for being another form of mind control, are either jailed on rape charges or violently killed? There is plenty of evidence to suggest that modern pop music is in fact another distraction of Satan, those who wish to think otherwise are in denial, not realizing that Satan is the Lord of this World, and you cannot and will not succeed without your (conscious or subconscious) allegiance to him.

Do some research, the demons are working hard in the last days

Do you also believe that 9/11 was an inside-job and that 3,000 Jews that worked on the WTC did not show up for work that day?

I actually looked at your videos. Some look practically identical with the 1000s of videos posted by conspiracy theory nuts on the Net. A bunch of unrelated pictures of politicians intermingled with unrelated pictures of supposedly satanic/masonic symbols. I hope you understand that your views are far out of the mainstream Orthodoxy and the opinions of the current Orthodox Bishops.

Of course you have a right to your views. My main concern is that people, turned-off by the fringe conspiracy theorists, stop taking Christianity seriously. You need to think whether your posts and videos help or hurt the spreading of the Gospel in our society

Edited by Angelos, 17 January 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#30 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

That most of the stuff on the radio is a) bad music and b) of demonic inspiration is obvious. Where you lose me is when you assert that the people responsible for this "music" are actual, practicing Satanists. It is possible to take a healthy, critical attitude to worldly entertainment without concocting such dramatic narratives. How do these theories help us as Christians? Satan does not need to create occult Satanic shadow networks to make powerful people do his bidding. He has a bit more finesse than that- all he needs is to do is manipulate their passions, the same thing he does to all of us. If someone can't recognize off the bat that the noise produced by Madonna, Lady Gaga, etc. is worthless junk, an elaborate theory about their record producers won't help.

As for the general question of secular music, I think the attitude of St. Basil toward pagan literature applies- some of it is good, some of it is bad, some of it is mixed; a cautious, critical appreciation can be beneficial to the Christian.

#31 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

Dear all: please let us rein in this discussion which is quickly veering off course and into territory well outside the scope of the forum. Future discussion on this topic should explore the question from the teaching and heritage of the Fathers.

#32 Angelos

Angelos

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Sorry Father..my apologies if I contributed to this

#33 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:17 AM

I can't say as I agree with your position. Nothing is without influence regardless if one is prone to that particular sin or not. Whether one rejoices in a violent movie or not, one is affected by it. Check your pulse the next time Jason turns the corner with his axe. Everything is bad for us. No exceptions. Music, film, roses, paint, sand. Man's fall has turned everything good into something bad. Nothing is good in and of itself. It has to be made good by God and His mercy to allow us to enjoy that something. Are things sinful in and of themselves? no. Man makes all things sinful by his interaction with them.

I would say everyone and not only those "given to lust" should be advised to stay away from sexually suggestive lyrics and movies. That is unless you have a constitution stronger than the average man/woman.

Paul

I think it would be a hard case to defend listening to ACDC's "Highway to hell." Or how about rockin' out with Marilyn Manson or Nine Inch Nails? And then there is the rap music which promotes lust, hatred, envy, rape, rejection of authority, violence, etc. How this kind of music could be conducive to our spiritual growth is beyond me. It promotes only the passions. I don't think I need to ask my Father Confessor if I can listen to this kind of music or the innumerable choices of vile secular music that is out there being pushed on secular society. Again, this is basic Christianity 101. Stay away from it. There really is music that is inspired from the evil one working through the darkened minds and evil passions of those who do not have the life of Christ within them.

#34 A. Wright

A. Wright

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:23 AM

I live in what I consider a "gangsta" town, so teenagers are running around with their pants down their ankles and listening to rap "music." I've seen some of the ways it manifests itself... Definitely something to avoid.

#35 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:28 AM

Oops, I just had to clarify something: I didn't mean "therapeutic" in the spiritual sense. I meant it in a psychological sense; like if someone (who is not in a high spiritual state) is stressed out from work, sometimes it can be a good stress-reliever to listen to some favorite tunes. There was actually a study done recently that showed that music can raise your dopamine levels. Basically I'm just saying that certain aspects of the psychological therapy can be scientifically verified.

Christina, I think there is music that can be relaxing to listen to. Often times it is music without lyrics. And there are some songs from the olden days, way back when my grandma lived that are about love and beauty. I think of one that I used to hear my mom sing, "Let me call you sweetheart." Nothing wrong with that. Same goes for older movies. My husband and I were recently watching, "It's a Wonderful Life." Great movie with a good, wholesome message. But sad to say, most of what is on t.v., the modern sit-coms and the talk shows are garbage, plain and simple. Much of the pop and rock music being promoted on secular music stations is, sad to say, garbage.

I don't need to bother my priest with questions about whether or not it's ok for me to listen to and watch this stuff. I've a conscience and the Holy Spirit to convict me. On the other hand, if I watch an R rated movie about sex and violence and think it's just fine and dandy, I'd better do some serious spiritual inventory on myself. I think after some self-examination I'll be needin' to go to confession. :)

#36 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:29 AM

Just to give proper credit or discredit, I didn't bold the last paragraph in the quote of mine just above in Darlene's post from my original post.

Paul

#37 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:34 AM

Jesus went to the Wedding at Cana. I'm sure there was plenty of secular music there. To top it off, Jesus gave them extra good wine. Jesus was no ascetic. There's no commandment against having fun. If anything Jesus was accused of: "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."' (Luke 7:38)

So the simple answer is no.

Yep, I can just see Jesus going "clubbing" and rocking out to Lady GaGa. Where is the little yellow face with shock written on it when you need one? !!!

#38 A. Wright

A. Wright

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:37 AM

Yep, I can just see Jesus going "clubbing" and rocking out to Lady GaGa. Where is the little yellow face with shock written on it when you need one? !!!

Oh yeah. Jesus and Lady Gag. O_o Somehow I can't picture it... haha.

#39 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:39 AM

I guess AC/DC is out then :(

But how about some good ole hard rock like Led Zepplin? Or what about some cool, heady stuff like Pink Floyd? Or then there is the heavy metal venue like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. Death metal, now where'd they get a name like that? Grunge, I guess it depicts a class of people who just didn't care about how they looked or if they ever combed their hair or shaved. Then the Punk rockers, they just seemed angry about everything. On and on it goes. All is vanity and a striving after wind.

#40 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:42 AM

Have you ever heard that AC/DC stands for "anti-Christ/Death-to-Christ"? And that KISS stand for "Knights in Service to Satan"? I'm not saying that it's accurate, I'm just saying that I heard that once.

What about all the back tracking? Play some of that music backwords and it has satanic lyrics, some folks say. I ask, why bother playing it backwards if it's already perverse and twisted when it's played forwards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users