Photo
- - - - -

Is Maxim Sandovitch a glorified saint of the Church?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

Hi, can anyone explain to me if St maxim Sandovitch is a saint of the Orthodox Christian church (under the patriarchate of Constantinople etc) and why since he was a Uniat. I am not interested in debating but understanding how that works legalistically since my boyfriend took on this saints name for his baptism and I would like to be able to understand better. Thank you.

#2 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

According to his Wikipedia page, he was glorified by the Polish Orthodox Church (which is not a uniate group) on September 6th, 1994. The same page claims that he was "trained as an Orthodox priest". The OCA webpage lists him on their calendar of saints for the 6th of September. OrthodoxWiki has an article about him which includes an account of his life, and says that he is venerated on August 6th and September 6th. That article indicates that he was educated at a seminary in Russia and ordained as an Orthodox priest, and subsequently returned to his homeland to provide "pastoral and missionary service" to the remaining Orthodox there.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

Yes, he is recognized as a saint in the Russian Orthodox Church. I had the honor of concelebrating at a newly composed service for his memory back in 1998 or 99 at St John the Baptist Cathedral in Washington DC. Metropolitan (then Archbishop) Lavr was the chief celebrant.

Fr David Moser

#4 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Thank you ... what happened was I had read the OrthodoxWiki article and this statement is what sent me into confusion:

Our righteous father Maxim Sandovich (also Maximus) of Gorlice, Protomartyr of the Lemko people, was a Carpatho-Russian hieromartyr who, in practicing his Orthodox faith as priest under the rule of the Unia, as enforced by the Roman Catholic Austrian imperial government, was arrested and then executed for his faith in August 1914. His feast days are celebrated on August 6 (repose) and September 6 (glorification).

"Under the rule of the Unia, as enforced by ..."

The way this is written is slightly misleading I suppose and can lead to confusion.

#5 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

*Further update on this Saint requiring clarification*

His only living relative is a priest in the Russian chuch, I believe. I found a note from him on a web site that states that the actual date for his death and glorification is incorrect ... namely, many of us believe that his Feast Day is Agusut 6 when infact, he died and was glorified September.

I suppose this clarification would be appreciated by one of the clergy who can confirm what the dates are ... OrthodoxWiki states death August 6 (which his relative insists is incorrect date) and that glorification is September but not his feast day .. that it is Aug 6 (which again the relative states should be September).

Can someone help with this matter? I am also going to send the "relative" a private message because he is clergy, I believe, of the Russian Church so I will ask him if this is a widely accepted date by the actual church that canonised St Maxim.

#6 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

He was glorified in 1994 by the Polish Orthodox Church, with the presence of bishops of the Church of Constantinople (Metropolitan Nicholas of Amissos), Czech-Slovakia (Archbishop Nicholas of Preshov and Slovakia), and OCA (Archbishop Herman of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania). ROCOR, at that time, not in communion with canonical Orthodoxy, did its own glorification in 1996.

His feast day is on Aug 24 whenever you think it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users