#1 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

Dear friends,
Would it be wrong to point non-Orthodox people who want to learn more about Orthodoxy to this forum? How about for non-Orthodox people who have a lot of zeal to learn about Orthodoxy, but they are still in the "infant" stage, and therefore ask a ton of "crazy" questions (worse than myself, I mean)?

I would like to lead a couple of people to this forum, but I am afraid that they will ask questions that are entirely not on the same "calibre" as the questions that are asked here. I'm sure most of you have experience with Protestants who have the craziest notions... I'm saying they might ask questions where just by reading the title of the thread most people wouldn't enter the thread because they would feel they wouldn't learn anything from it. I'm sure you guys understand what I'm trying to say - I just don't know how to phrase it correctly. Their questions are so abstract that I can't even remember or formulate them in my mind.

What do you think? I would hate to lower the quality of the forum, more than I've already done by my own presence.

Also, if you think it's not a good idea, can you please direct me to a more suitable forum or website for them? I think it's very helpful for people to be able to ask their own questions like in a forum, much more helpful than to read all the time and not be able to ask questions about it. I know it's helped me.

In Christ,
Christina

#2 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

The Orthodox-Convert list on Yahoo is a decent place for inquirers.

#3 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

I would hate to lower the quality of the forum,

Are you kidding? Have you ever read any of my posts? Not exactly scholaric material.

Why direct people to where the answes to their questions are not or worse will be answered incorrectly? Coming from all the "wrong" denominations, it's hard to be unlearned.

Paul

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

This forum is, in essence, meant to be an "academic" exchange of information and opinions on the patristic liturgical and monastic expression of the Orthodox faith. there are, however, plenty of us non-academic types who putter around the edges and occasionally manage to make some kind of contribution. We then to have a "high tolerance" as it were here for that kind of "lower level" discussions and more often than not they yield unexpected fruit. Also as Theodora mentioned there is a group called "Orthodox convert" on yahoogroups that kind of specializes in crazy convert inquiries.

Fr David Moser

#5 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

Nice. Those were good replies. I'll definitely look into the Yahoo group as well.

It's not like I have a ton of people that I would send here. I have in mind only 1 or 2 that I hope would benefit from it, and they're the type that would absorb anything that is said about Orthodoxy. And maybe they'd just read previous posts, and never even start new threads. I just wanted to know the "rules" here in general.

In Christ,
Christina

#6 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Dear friends,
Would it be wrong to point non-Orthodox people who want to learn more about Orthodoxy to this forum? How about for non-Orthodox people who have a lot of zeal to learn about Orthodoxy, but they are still in the "infant" stage, and therefore ask a ton of "crazy" questions (worse than myself, I mean)?

I would like to lead a couple of people to this forum, but I am afraid that they will ask questions that are entirely not on the same "calibre" as the questions that are asked here. I'm sure most of you have experience with Protestants who have the craziest notions... I'm saying they might ask questions where just by reading the title of the thread most people wouldn't enter the thread because they would feel they wouldn't learn anything from it. I'm sure you guys understand what I'm trying to say - I just don't know how to phrase it correctly. Their questions are so abstract that I can't even remember or formulate them in my mind.

What do you think? I would hate to lower the quality of the forum, more than I've already done by my own presence.

Also, if you think it's not a good idea, can you please direct me to a more suitable forum or website for them? I think it's very helpful for people to be able to ask their own questions like in a forum, much more helpful than to read all the time and not be able to ask questions about it. I know it's helped me.

In Christ,
Christina

I think that Fr David is right Christina. This Forum is not for the question & answer format, or for learning about the Faith as in catechesis. Instead our focus is different- discussions of Orthodoxy as found within its Patristic & ascetic tradition.

Of course there is a lot to be learned here. But for those learning about the Faith (catechumens) it's best to stick to a simpler approach where you don't get lost in the forest due to the trees.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

#7 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

I think that Fr David is right Christina. This Forum is not for the question & answer format, or for learning about the Faith as in catechesis. Instead our focus is different- discussions of Orthodoxy as found within its Patristic & ascetic tradition.

Of course there is a lot to be learned here. But for those learning about the Faith (catechumens) it's best to stick to a simpler approach where you don't get lost in the forest due to the trees.

In Christ- Fr Raphael

Father , bless:
Thank you for the advice. I'll just send them to the Yahoo group then.

In Christ,
Christina

#8 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Also think of the difference between formation in the Faith and what we try to do here. Cathechesis has a definite method of formation, with definite follow up towards the inquirer, and from your priest/spiritual father. This all occurs within the parish which is your spiritual family as given by God.

Here though we have an entirely different relationship with each other: we are all entirely free to answer if we wish or feel called to and as we can.

I may be completely off here- but I think that Monachos is more like one's relationship to music. Sometimes as you listen, one particular voice or instrument stands out, and sometimes you're more attracted to the total sound of all the voices or instruments together. From this you can learn or be inspired. But then from this you turn back to that life which God has given you and with the people & situations you are responsible for, as given to you by God. Each has its place but they are not the same thing.

Listen to wonderful Monachos FM!

In Christ- Fr Raphael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users