2 replies to this topic

#1 Caleb Shoemaker

Caleb Shoemaker

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Now that I have your attention I'm teaching a class in Christocentricity of the Old Testament, and we're having a series of discussions on the Law and its validity today. Half of my students are Roman Catholic, half are Protestant of various flavors. The subject of images has been brought up several times in this discussion, and I'm looking for some good source material for them. I have copies of the decision of the Seventh Council and St. John Damascene on the Images, but are there any [equally historic] texts in favor of iconoclasm? I want to give them a balance of material to help them understand the struggle and be able to reason things out. Ideas?

#2 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

In Schaff's The Seven Ecumenical Councils, in the section on the Seventh Council, there is an Epitome of the Definition of the Iconoclastic Conciliabulum held in Constantinople. This is the only one I'm personally aware of, though certainly there may be others.

#3 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

The iconoclastic councils would be the best, as far as historical council. There are many different reasons for iconoclasm--the Byzantine iconoclasts had different arguments than the Mohammedans or the Jews or the later Protestants or others that would come later. However, the supports for icon veneration come from one central reason--the incarnation of God the Word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users