8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Justison

Dennis Justison

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

A couple things are bothering me and my wife. We go to an old hotel/bar/restaurant from time to time. It has a reputation of having ghosts. They don't seem to bother me, but my wife is almost always affected by the experience for two or three days afterwards. Her mood is more negative, crabby even, sometimes depressed, often lethargic. It takes a few days for her to rebound and return to normal.

Last week I had a dream in which I was fighting with a demon. In my dream, I wasn't afraid, but I had the sense that it was very real and very serious. At the end, I literally jumped up and stomped my feet. My wife woke up at that instant and saw a figure hovering over me. She has "nightly visitors" from time to time also.

Sometimes both my wife and I get the feeling that someone is after us. We've had two children die. After Jay's death, things have been pretty quiet. Both of us seem to be making some spiritual progress these days. I am trying to attend a nearby Orthodox Church for Sunday Liturgy. It seems like every week something happens. Snow storm, car breaking down, this weekend I am sicker than a dog.

We pray. We bless our home with holy water. We burn incense. I've been praying the Psalms for years. They are an aid and comfort when things like this happen.

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:42 AM

I assume that your priest came and blessed your house with Theophany water? If not that is something that should be done every year.

Otherwise, I can only pass on the advice that was given to me when I had some very vivid demonic dreams at the monastery. I went to the confessor and told him of the dreams and he bascially told me that I should ignore them - don't even try to remember them. The demons can use dreams to ensnare you so simply ignore them and go on with your prayers.

Fr David Moser

#3 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:42 AM

Otherwise, I can only pass on the advice that was given to me when I had some very vivid demonic dreams at the monastery. I went to the confessor and told him of the dreams and he bascially told me that I should ignore them - don't even try to remember them. The demons can use dreams to ensnare you so simply ignore them and go on with your prayers.

Fr David Moser

Yes. I have been told the same things and I was talking about good dreams! So I pray to God to help me forget my dreams even if they are vivid when I wake up. Also try to say the prayer: "Let God arise and all His enemies be scattered..." when you and your wife have problems like you described. Also the same prayer is said over your bed and you can cross the bed while saying this prayer. This prayer is in Orthodox prayer books but if you do not have it one of us can post it for you.
Also have icons in every room and where you sleep. It is not that you will not be tempted but if you have Christ and Panagia over you watching and you wake up terrified you will have Their faces to soothe you and you can pray.

#4 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

Nothing is Magic in our Faith. not icons, not holy water, not annointing with oil. Though all these things are good and serve a purpose. A contrite and broken heart God will not despise.

When I have dreams and when I don't, if I wake up in the middle of the night (several times every night actually) I recite Psalm 50. I am usually back asleep before I finish it.

Paul

#5 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

Anyone have any ideas?

I assume that your priest came and blessed your house with Theophany water? If not that is something that should be done every year.

Dennis, if you haven't blessed your house, you should do so right away.

#6 Botolph

Botolph

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Firstly'
Do not go to that bar/restaurant until your wife is content with it. If you have demonic visitors, go to confession, pray the Jesus prayer, the PaterNoster and to your guardian angel; the Blessed Theotokos will never abandon us. We are surrounded by spiritual armor. Put on the armor of God; it will never let you down

#7 Dennis Justison

Dennis Justison

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I need to give you more information too. I rarely remember my dreams at all. My wife is a vivid dreamer, always having dreams, and many of them seem to have some significance. Both of us are spiritual directors having taken our training over the course of three years at a Benedictine (Catholic) monastery. One of our classes was dream interpretation. My wife, Heidi, really identified with this class because of her dreams. She has dreams with her father in it, sometimes even Jay (who was 11 when he died). These dreams seem to communicate something, some are more obvious than others, but these dreams are not ominous, but mostly pleasant and seem to teach or help with life.

One dream she had just days before Jay died was of an angel. She was togther with Jay. The angel showed them both a staircase. He said it went to the other side and that it was time. My wife and I were still fighting hard for Jay and weren't ready to let go. When it did come time for Jay to die, he was in a coma at the time, it wasn't looking good. Heidi sensed that the time was near. She climbed into bed with Jay and said, "if you want to go, take the hand of the angel and go to Jesus. I'll be alright." And BOOM at that very instant he stopped breathing and his heart stopped. I was taking pictures at the time and they all turned out just fine, except the one I took just as Heidi gasped, "He's gone." It is a digital camera, but there was no image that one could make out. It was only a vague white filmy kind of image. The photo before was fine. The photo taken a few minutes later was fine. I have come to believe that this image was his soul, but I have never heard of anything like it.

We are a blended family. Jay had dreams too. Since he was very young, he would have dreams of his father trying to kill him. His dad was mixed up in a cult. They aren't evil people, but I think they are very misguided. A lot of emphasis is placed on outward things such as clothing. But his dad is a dark individual. He is very manipulative and cunning. Anyway, Jay would have these dreams consistently. His last one was only a week or two before he died. They were scarey. And it wasn't like Jay didn't love his dad. He did!

These "visitors in the night" don't come very often, perhaps on average once per two months. We aren't looking for a magic cure, just an explanation. And we have done everything that has been recomended for us to do above. We're not even sure if they are good or bad. There are two kinds. One I'm pretty sure is bad. He is so dark, that he is visibly dark in the dark of night. The other is a dirty white. We're not really sure about that one. He's the most common visitor. We haven't seen the dark one for awhile.

While these visitors don't happen really often, they are able to happen where ever we are. It happened while living at Ronald McDonald house, the hopital, our old home, our new home, and even at the Monastery. Heidi is very sensitive to the feelings or energies of others. She is an empath.

Thanks for any other tips you can give. Peace to all.

#8 Andrey Vershinin

Andrey Vershinin

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hello Dennis! I have advice for you but not much; however I can moreso can understand your wife's empathy! Before I became Russian Orthodox I was lost trying to find the right path to God--- I practiced all sorts of new age techniques and one of which was opening the "third eye". With God's mercy however I found Orthodoxy and was helped before I passed a point of non-return where my mind was permanently damaged! Anyways, since then I have been able to see energies from the corner of my eye and can immediately feel if this being is of a lightness or darkness. Also, sometimes when I lie in bed at night I can see out of the corner of my eye a being close to the "dirty white" you describe who walks past my room. I wonder if your wife always had this empathy or did something open her spiritual eyes to these things? I will pray for you and your wife. I have in my possession a little booklet called Akathist to the Guardian Angel Who Keepeth Unceasing Watch Over One's Life which you guys should really read! I'll let you guys take a read and not spoil the wonderful story at the beginning! I will say what the booklet says about those situations you're dealing with: say a prayer to God when that holy light is near, your guardian angel might be trying to say something to you!

#9 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Dennis,

Was that Benedictine monastery a part of the mainstream Catholic Church, or was it part of a breakaway group? It seems very strange and irresponsible for a Catholic monastery to offer courses on dream interpretation. Although I suppose that a lot of things have happened in the post-1960s Catholic Church that are out of step with their historical bearing. Suffice it to say that involvement with new age spiritualism, with cults and with the occult can have lasting damage on a family's spiritual health. These things are designed to 'open one up' to a new sort of awareness. In fact they often do this, but exactly what they 'open a person up' to may be something very undesirable. By attempting to explore spiritual reality in ways that are out of step with the wisdom of the Church, you or those around you may have given the devil a footstep into your lives that has lasted and will last until you repent of these things. You seem to have an attitude of curiosity about these 'spirits' that are visiting you. You say that your wife is an 'empath' as though that were simply a matter of course. These are not things that I know about; I can't tell you what the nature of these 'spirits' are. But I can tell you that it is in your best interest not to give them any breadth in your life and the life of your family. St. Anthony of the Desert tells us that when we see something like what you're describing, we should either ignore it or we should fearlessly question it in the name of Jesus Christ. We know that the devil is impotent; he can do nothing that our Lord has not given him permission to do. But he may try to distract us. For some people, this will take the form of temptation to sin. For others, he may try to induce fear by displays like what you are describing. Yet if you do not allow this fear to affect you, then he will see that his efforts have become fruitless and he will stop. You must be on your guard then for whatever new method he may try. Remember that he can never bear the words of Scripture and the sign of the Cross.

The priest at your Orthodox Church is the best person to talk to about this. You have to tell him everything.

Jeremy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users