• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:31 AM

My former Metropolitan, Nicholas of Amissos, may his memory be eternal, who died last Sunday, was not a thin person. I believe him to be a saint regardless. He was much beloved and his people made sure he was taken care of, because he took such good care of us. And anyone who wants to tell me how much of a sinner he was can just tell it to someone else.

Vechnaya Pamyat Vladika.

#62 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:42 AM

PS transfats are very bad for the body--it is like putting sand in a rolex. I think 60 minutes even did a feature on this :)

Of course they are! Do not mind my post to Christina as it is an extension of some jokes I make behind the scenes (PM). :)

#63 Andra K.

Andra K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

:) Oh, I was not bothered by what you posted Nina, I just remember the analogy used in the 60 minutes special (I think it was 60 minutes) where they said transfats are like sand in a rolex.

Anyway thank you for clarifying as I am new and may be missing the nuances of the discussions LOL.

#64 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

I agree with all the points Nina has brought and in particular the comment about judging.

The one thing I wanted to add to this topic (following on from my previous post) is to restate that the definition of sin is important in this dialogue.

If the definition is approached only legalistically then the defensiveness of the replies is warranted because there is an association of "guilt" [I've "consciously" done something wrong by choice] tagged to the definition.

However, the Orthodox Church does not place such a definition alone to the word "sin".

It can be a "sin" to be overweight if the definition of sin is viewed as an impedement towards your spiritual activites or duties ... for example, unable to perform prostrations etc.

Thus, the "sin" is not so much of guilt but rather of omission (ie. What I could do if I wasnt). There is nothing that the mystery of Holy Confession can not cure; all it takes is to say it once to God and it is no longer a barrier of omission because of the mere fact we are acknowledging a fact about ourselves that is beyond our control but does contribute towards another area of our life.

Edited by Vasiliki D., 17 March 2011 - 02:23 AM.
typo

#65 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

If I am very sick I cannot do prostrations, I can't even go to church. Is being sick therefore a sin?

No. No. No. You do not have to go to confession for being overweight. Ask your priest and tell us what he says.

#66 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

If I am very sick I cannot do prostrations, I can't even go to church. Is being sick therefore a sin?

No. No. No. You do not have to go to confession for being overweight. Ask your priest and tell us what he says.

Dear Herman, as funny as you are (and I do find you funny) ... there is still an area of Spirituality that is called "sensitivity". From St Basil the Great right down to Elder Paisius we find this philotimo-filled struggle that is missing in our day and age (as a consequence of the sins around us).

Sin is "missing the mark" ... and this is not a legalistic term but one of therapy - we are in the process of healing ourselves from anything that takes us away from the way we were truly created to be, physically and spiritually ...

Having this sensitivity is not stupid or wrong, as one might think.

It is irrelevant of what reason makes me oover weight, it might be my fault it might not ... at the end of the day I am not quite the way I was created ... and this is missing the mark and all things that we are affected by are a consequence of our fallen nature.

You should not be sick none of us should ever fall ill. God never made us that way ... we fall ill because it is a consequence of the death we introduced on our own DNA. Confessing these things is not about stirring guilt in ourselves nor is it about confessing them continually.

A "General Confession" of who we are, the environment and people around us - everything that contributes towards who we are is something that benefits every human being and if you dont believe me then perhaps you should re-examine the advise of Elder Porfyrios, whose humility and saintliness I hold at high esteem.

Let us never take away an opportunity from our fellow man to put into words in Holy Confession precisely who he is and what it is about him that pulls him away from how God intended him to be - physically or spiritually!

Sin should be viewed with a therapeutic mind and not a legalistic mind of guilt.

#67 John Konstantin

John Konstantin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

So far we have established three things. 1. Some people are overweight because they have an underlying medical condition. 2. Some people are obese because they are medically fit but overeat which has led to them being overweight and this can lead to a medical condition. 3. It is not our call to decide which of the above is the case.

If it is the former then a doctor is required. If it is the latter a doctor and perhaps one's confessor is required.

It is a matter of clear fact that some people overeat as a result of stress. Some people eat because they are unhappy. Some people eat to fill a void in their lives. Some people overeat short term to handle a crisis. The same person may turn to drink or return to smoking cigarettes again. In fact, some may overeat because they have precisely given up cigarettes or drink.

Whilst we have established that we do not judge but have compassion on those entrapped in unhealthy life choices. We have a clear mandate to preach the Good News of the Gospel and the healing of the sick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users