No replies to this topic

#1 Seraphim Hamilton

Seraphim Hamilton

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

Greetings brethren in Christ!

I have a question concerning some quotations used by papal apologists to prove Roman supremacy. I am wondering, has anyone read the works of James Likoudis? He is an apostate gone papist, who is VERY prolific in his efforts to proselytize Orthodox Christians. He, I have found is the source for many of these quotations. Specifically, I have questions about the following quotations.

Said to be from Emperor Justinian:

Yielding honor to the Apostolic See and to Your Holiness, and honoring your Holiness, as one ought to honor a father, we have hastened to subject all the priests of the whole Eastern district, and to unite them to the See of your Holiness, for we do not allow of any point, however manifest and indisputable it be, which relates to the state of the Churches, not being brought to the cognizance of your Holiness, since you are the Head of all the holy Churches. (Justinian Epist. ad. Pap. Joan. ii. Cod. Justin. lib. I. tit. 1).

Said to be from Ecumenical Patriarch John VI:

The Pope of Rome, the head of the Christian priesthood, whom in Peter, the Lord commanded to confirm his brethren. (John VI, Epist. ad Constantin. Pap. ad. Combefis, Auctuar. Bibl. P.P. Graec.tom. ii. p. 211, seq.)

Said to be from St. Theodore of Constantinople:

I witness now before God and men, they have torn themselves away from the Body of Christ, from the Surpreme See (Rome), in which Christ placed the keys of the Faith, against which the gates of hell (I mean the mouth of heretics) have not prevailed, and never will until the Consummation, according to the promise of Him Who cannot lie. Let the blessed and Apostolic Paschal (Pope St. Paschal I) rejoice therefore, for he has fulfilled the work of Peter. (Theodore Bk. II. Ep. 63).

In truth we have seen that a manifest successor of the prince of the Apostles presides over the Roman Church. We truly believe that Christ has not deserted the Church here (Constantinople), for assistance from you has been our one and only aid from of old and from the beginning by the providence of God in the critical times. You are, indeed the untroubled and pure fount of orthodoxy from the beginning, you the calm harbor of the whole Church, far removed from the waves of heresy, you the God-chosen city of refuge. (Letter of St. Theodor and Four Abbots to Pope Paschal).

Said to be from St. Methodius:

"Immovable, indeed, unto the end are the privileges of Old Rome. So, in far as being set over all the churches, the Pontiff of Rome has no need to betake himself to all the holy Ecumenical Councils, but without his participation manifested by the sending of his subordinates, every Ecumenical Council is non-existent and it is he who renders legal everything that has been decided in the Council."

Many of these quotations come from these posts:

http://papsttreu.blo...smaticorum.html
http://papsttreu.blo...ticorum_29.html

Thank you for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users