• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vasiliki Tragiannopoulos

Vasiliki Tragiannopoulos

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

I found this forum browsing the net on information on Mount Athos, This may sound weird, but I have read all about Mount Athos and it's history. I have a few questions. Why do men go? Are they ordered to go by Psycotherpist, Doctors,Bad behavior, EI or are they Extremly ill and want to pray and worship god?

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Extremely ill and want to pray and worship God?

I would say this would be the main reason as every one is spiritually ill and can only be cured by God. Mount Athos is renowned for the devoutness of its monks so it is a natural place to go to be near God. Wanting to go for this reason is most likely a sign of some spiritually healing taking place as it shows that one wants to be near God and is not that ill so as to reject Him. There may also be men going hoping to be healed of physical illness.

Are they ordered to go by Psycotherpist, Doctors

I don't think they would order anyone to Mount Athos.

Bad behavior, EI

I'm a little confused by this and what does E.I. mean?.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Mount Athos is simply a place where there are many monastic communities. Men go there to become monastics or for a spiritual retreat at a monastery. Mt Athos isn't the only monastery by far and men can and do go to any monastery to become monastics or for a spiritual retreat. In the same way women go to women's monasteries (commonly called "convents" in English) to become monastics or for a spiritual retreat. Some monasteries (both men's and women's) are open to the public in a limited a fashion so that both men and women will visit to pray.

Men go to a monastery for many reasons, but a person cannot be ordered to become a monastic by anyone. In fact people who are mentally unstable or who are unrepentant criminals are generally not accepted in a monastic community. Going to a monastery is not a punishment or an alternative to prison or for going to a hospital for medical treatment. The only reason anyone should go to a monastery is to pray and worship God (although some just go to be tourists - which is just wrong).

Fr David Moser

#4 Vasiliki Tragiannopoulos

Vasiliki Tragiannopoulos

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, I wrote it backwards IE (Ect Ect). If you have a serious illness as cancer what would be the amount of time you can stay, and is there a fee. Thank You for such a quik response

#5 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

For the same reason we all go to monasteries. For spiritual retreat and recharging spiritual batteries.

#6 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Why do men live on the top of poles, or in caves, or in the desert? Men go to Mt. Athos because there is a tradition and there are teachers of deep spirituality. The Garden of the Theotokos, the Holy Mountain is an inspiring place, men go there to be inspired and be close to people who are close to God, so that they too, might be closer to God by their teachings and example.

Why go anywhere?

#7 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

Sorry, I wrote it backwards IE (Ect Ect). If you have a serious illness as cancer what would be the amount of time you can stay, and is there a fee. Thank You for such a quik response

There are several threads on Mount Athos and this forum has a section devoted to Athos itself. You might start looking there. As far as how long can one stay, it is a general rule 4 days and 3 nights. Extensions are allowed with reason. Costs are of the heart except for transportation fees.

Paul

#8 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:32 AM

Oops, I erased my original message because I think I made a mistake. I thought Mrs. Vasiliki was inquiring about herself to visit Mt Athos, but then I realized that she was inquiring about a man she knows. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users