Photo
- - - - -

Defense against those who would call God a weakling and a dimwit.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

I am not saying we should not defend or explain our faith. I am saying it is pointless to do it with people who are only trying to argue for arguments sake.

I strongly agree with Paul here, and I would like to add a phrase that someone taught me recently:

"You can't rationalize with the irrational."

I love that phrase, and I think it bears a lot of truth. If we could understand the truth behind that phrase, we would avoid many useless arguments.

So what do we do when people are being irrational? Pray for them.

#22 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

I am not saying we should not defend or explain our faith. I am saying it is pointless to do it with people who are only trying to argue for arguments sake.

But that isn't the matter I had brought up. In essence, therefore, your statement is like someone asking "How do I replace a tire on a Ford?" and one answers "There is no point in replacing tires on a Stutz-Bearcat without an engine."

#23 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

Tell you what Bryan,

Since you and I will never be able to communicate, I will bow out of any further conversations with you.

Respectfully, Paul

#24 Bill Schwan

Bill Schwan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

My, the more I read in these forum pages, the less curious I am regarding the Orthodox POV. Seems like every thread I choose to peruse has some form of Baptist bashing going on. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that Orthodox Christianity was another perspective on the Christian faith worthy of study. I'm probably apt to continue my study of your faith and practice, but I may go about it in a way that doesn't necessarily involve interacting with its adherents. More than a little off-putting IMHO.

#25 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

Many of us are former Baptists as well as other Protestant denominations. Obviously we were not happy where we were, are we not allowed to say so? Although some are perhaps a little more vocal about it than others, avoidance of views we disagree with doesn't get us very far. Welcome to the wacky, wild, wondrous world wide web.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users