72 replies to this topic

#41 Susanna

Susanna

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Good for you Marianthy!

We ALL have our failings, and they are *ours,* known by God, who still loves us in spite of them. (I too like all the girly stuff.)

#42 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

I agree Christina, some women do not know what they are doing and look ridiculous. Just as no makeup will not get you a job in the big city, a ridiculous, and unnatural amount of makeup will also not get you the job!

I lost the opportunity to have a great job at a prestigious college because I wore red lipstick on the final interview. About one hundred people applied for the position, they interviewed around ten, then it came down to me and one other person. Doggone that red lipstick.

#43 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Now I think I'll go out and buy some nice thick false eye lashes, and some bright pink lipstick, and smother on the liquid make-up and dress my eyes with purple eye shadow (purple being one of my favorite colors), and black eye liner and then go clubbing. Oh wait a minute, my favorite soap opera is on, "General Hospital." And then I gotta watch Desperate Housewives, and find out who is gonna be on American Idol. After that I'll find the skimpiest mini skirt in my closet and wear it with a sexy top with a plunging neckline. I'll top it off with my sleek black fishnet stockings and 3 inch heels. Now where did I put my ipod with the latest from Lady Gaga? Well, gotta go and find out the latest gossip on my fav soap. I look forward to tomorrow when I can wear my hot new bikini to the beach.

Here's to having a good time and not judging anyone so don't anyone here be judging me now. :-)

Edited by Darlene Griffith, 06 May 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#44 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

I don't know why you guys are so messed up.

The only time I ever sinned was when I was in 3rd grade and they made me drink milk on a Friday.

#45 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Wow, Darlene, I didn't know that you were 16! *wink*

#46 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

I don't know why you guys are so messed up.

The only time I ever sinned was when I was in 3rd grade and they made me drink milk on a Friday.

I just want to say that I was joking here. I think I should've added a smiley face or something... just in case. I apologize, and I will try to be more cautious next time.

#47 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Saint Irene was 12 years old when martyred - I never wore even lip balm at 12, nothing. Just soap and water. That is why I often have asked God why He did not take me when I was very pure which was even past teens.

Our Saints of course do not wear make up (although there are many who used to wear it like Saint Pelagia we celebrate today and who was reformed). But who said I am a Saint?

I do not dye my hair but if people want to they can. I do not think it is a sin - it can harm the health though :( . I use oils and creams to nourish my hair because they are long, so that can be considered vanity by some. But to each their own.

Nina, you are a beautiful woman, make-up or not.

I feel that wearing discreet make-up is a personal choice and should not be commented upon.

I knew this woman once - she has since died and we should not speak ill of the dead but I just want to make one comment. She always made a point of criticizing those women who took care of their faces and hair. Once, while visiting, she asked me to fetch something from her bedroom wardrobe. To my amazement I saw two jars of very expensive face cream. Appearances are deceiving.

#48 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

I wear a day cream, some eye make-up and lipstick. In the morning I take care of my appearance and then start my daily work. My beauty routine takes about 5 minutes, including my hair. Granted there's not much of it and it is as fine as a baby's hair but the women on this thread will know that such hair creates its own problems.

I feel nice when I look nice. When I stopped working my husband said that he hoped that I would look as nice staying home all day as I did when working.

I try, but sometimes going past a mirror hurriedly on my way to do something I catch a glimpse of my grandmother.............................

re not wearing any make-up at all.

My sister-in-law, who is a couple of years older than my husband is a really beautiful woman and she never wears make-up, not even lipstick. She looks wonderful without any kind of help.

#49 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Wow, Darlene, I didn't know that you were 16! *wink*

I'm not, but what does that matter? *wink*

#50 Darlene Griffith

Darlene Griffith

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

I just want to say that I was joking here. I think I should've added a smiley face or something... just in case. I apologize, and I will try to be more cautious next time.

Christine,

You were joking? Nah, I can't believe that for one moment. (Now where's that smiley face when you need it?)

#51 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Nina, you are a beautiful woman, make-up or not.

Effie, thank you. I am like all people out there. I feel though (although I dislike to admit it lol) that I have more grace on my face when I keep things simple (I do not like the word make up because really I do not like the cream/powder that goes on the face since it makes me feel like I am suffocating, like my skin is not breathing).

But you are so beautiful lady also, dear Effie. With the beauty God gave you, you do not need any alterations - that is what my grandma used to tell me. :) And I am sure the rest of the women here are beautiful too although I do not know them, however just some cream, balm, hair balm are not bad at all. Since a beauty routine is there for women and not for children or men. :) If we do not do it who will do it? If we decide to go in monasticism then the story is changing. :)

I agree that real beauty does not need make-up. Like you say about your sister in law, my mother was very beautiful woman and did not use anything on her face. Although in communism a married woman *had* to use lipstick as an indication of being married (it was same as wearing a wedding band). She was not a fan of lipstick either but had to wear it. However my mother had it all a gift from God beautiful face with green eyes; her hair were dark; and she had a tall, beautiful body. People of the town where she grew up used to call her Helena after the Helen of Troy. The communist party asked my grandpa to give her away to the party to make her an actress, so my grandpa married her off to my dad right away lol because the party did not get married women for that purpose. When there were some weddings my mother's nieces were begging her to put make up on; she would smile and did not want to disappoint them, and they would apply some eye make up on her, and she would look like a goddess and we all felt at awe by her beauty because she was really the classical beauty.

But she had also an amazing soul and she would spent just some time in the morning at waking up for her personal routine and then she would dedicate the entire day to her family and others. She worked very hard because she enjoyed work and just helping and serving others - actually my grandpa said that had she been born in freedom, she would have been in a monastery a nun because she loved God, and loved to help others and sacrifice for all people. When I was a teen, she was actually not adorning herself at all, and started to make herself very plain so she would not compete with me lol because she was *that* beautiful. I was begging her to let her long hair in a ponytail, or so (it was tooooo long to let them down) and do such things but she refused always! On the other hand she wanted to adorn me like I was her doll. lol I would buy her clothes and pressure her to wear them since she was going so plain almost like becoming a nun at a point, because as she said: "I am old now and my daughter is the one to look beautiful." lol She was not old! She was so young, but wanted to understate herself for my sake!

When she was diagnosed with cancer, it was very traumatic for me to see my mother transformed and loose her hair from cancer and chemo. And before she departed the last 15 days she had become so thin and it was even more traumatic for me to see her like that. Although there was such beauty and such grace although the suffering was immense. She looked beautiful even on her deathbed.

And when people talk to me about her they all talk about the impression her beautiful soul left on them and no one talks if she used make up or not.

#52 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

As an aside; has anyone looked at a corpse before going in the ground? Seems funeral parlor techs apparently take courses in cosmetology. Seeing people in the casket with heavy makeup on that never wore makeup (my grandmother) was insulting.

Paul

#53 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

As an aside; has anyone looked at a corpse before going in the ground? Seems funeral parlor techs apparently take courses in cosmetology. Seeing people in the casket with heavy makeup on that never wore makeup (my grandmother) was insulting.

Paul

Paul, that's not done here.

We spend the night before the funeral with our loved one. This sounds a bit weird but wakes are common in many countries. The long night, full of coffee and certain foods that are traditionally eaten, although sitting down at a table all together is forbidden, gives us a chance to say goodbye. Children also get used to death when they see their yiayia (grandmother) or pappou (grandfather) lying there so peacefully.

Sadly, with all these ridiculous rules being imposed on us at the moment, even this will be taken away from us. From the hospital to the church to the grave will soon become the law here I imagine. This will make Greeks as scared of death as other nations are.

Something that might make you laugh : when I first came here I had never seen a dead person or attended a funeral. Before going to any social event (not that a funeral can be called social) my husband would tell me how to act - what to say, what to do. His Auntie Anna died. I was particularly fond of her because she had lived in the US all her life and came to Greece in her old age and we were friends. When we arrived at her house I entered a large room with women sitting around what I thought was a large floral arrangement in the middle of the room. I kissed the women and was asked to sit with them. As I was listening to them discussing how to best whiten sheets I looked idly around the room. I was quite shy then and a room full of women dazed me so I had seen practically nothing when I first walked in. My husband, the traitor, had left me to my own devices.

Looking at the lovely flowers I suddenly saw a hand on top of a bible in the middle. My heart nearly stopped and I forced myself to look further up. I then saw Auntie Anna's face surrounded by flowers at the top of the coffin. Needless to say I remember very little of the rest of the funeral. When I angrily confronted my husband he was astounded that I had no idea that the body would be in the room.

Edited by Effie Ganatsios, 08 May 2011 - 06:59 AM.

#54 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

I agree that real beauty does not need make-up. Like you say about your sister in law, my mother was very beautiful woman and did not use anything on her face. Although in communism a married woman *had* to use lipstick as an indication of being married (it was same as wearing a wedding band). She was not a fan of lipstick either but had to wear it. However my mother had it all a gift from God beautiful face with green eyes; her hair were dark; and she had a tall, beautiful body. People of the town where she grew up used to call her Helena after the Helen of Troy. The communist party asked my grandpa to give her away to the party to make her an actress, so my grandpa married her off to my dad right away lol because the party did not get married women for that purpose. When there were some weddings my mother's nieces were begging her to put make up on; she would smile and did not want to disappoint them, and they would apply some eye make up on her, and she would look like a goddess and we all felt at awe by her beauty because she was really the classical beauty.

But she had also an amazing soul and she would spent just some time in the morning at waking up for her personal routine and then she would dedicate the entire day to her family and others. She worked very hard because she enjoyed work and just helping and serving others - actually my grandpa said that had she been born in freedom, she would have been in a monastery a nun because she loved God, and loved to help others and sacrifice for all people. When I was a teen, she was actually not adorning herself at all, and started to make herself very plain so she would not compete with me lol because she was *that* beautiful. I was begging her to let her long hair in a ponytail, or so (it was tooooo long to let them down) and do such things but she refused always! On the other hand she wanted to adorn me like I was her doll. lol I would buy her clothes and pressure her to wear them since she was going so plain almost like becoming a nun at a point, because as she said: "I am old now and my daughter is the one to look beautiful." lol She was not old! She was so young, but wanted to understate herself for my sake!

When she was diagnosed with cancer, it was very traumatic for me to see my mother transformed and loose her hair from cancer and chemo. And before she departed the last 15 days she had become so thin and it was even more traumatic for me to see her like that. Although there was such beauty and such grace although the suffering was immense. She looked beautiful even on her deathbed.

And when people talk to me about her they all talk about the impression her beautiful soul left on them and no one talks if she used make up or not.

Nina, I know how much you loved your mother and the good it does just to talk about her. What a wonderful friend she must have been! And how lucky she was to have had the comfort of such a loving daughter. The living, unfortunately, are those who suffer when someone dies, but life goes on. That sounds cruel but it's the truth. A part of us is always united to our dead though. I know that a part of me is always with my father. I was 4 when he died and one of my sorrows is that he is buried in Australia and I cannot visit his grave at least once a week as they do here. When people who knew him here talk about him they usually make a comment about his beauty but they always, always mention his goodness. And this is what is important for me to hear. The beauty within. You are so right when you say how important this is.

I firmly believe that when we die our souls will be united. I know he and my grandmother will be waiting for me when my time comes. A delusion? Who cares? My faith will make it happen. As God wills.

Nina, have you ever thought of death as an adventure? What wonderful things await us.

Christos Anesti, my sweet Nina.

effie

#55 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Nina, do you know what men call make-up (foundation, powder, etc) here?

Soubas. That's the word for the mortar or whatever it's called that is applied with a trowel and then smoothed over double brick walls on most houses here. You can see some examples here http://www.ellada.ne.../crete.php?id=0

#56 Marie A.

Marie A.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Paul

When my grandmother was dying of cancer the gentleman in town who does the embalming of the bodies came to visit her. She specifically asked him not to put too much makeup on her face(especially the rouge/blush and lipstick) when he would prepare her body. She was a simple woman with a big heart, always there to help others and give of herself. People loved her and thought she was a little saint.

#57 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

Paul, they put lipstick on my mother when they prepared her (relatives prepared her because I could not even go out of my room when she gave up her soul as I was crying and trying to find black things to wear). When I finally prayed and told God to give me strength to go and see my mother in her casket in the middle of the living room, He did give me a lot of strength and I went and kissed her (she was still warm) and part of her lipstick came off on my cheek that when I got up from kissing and caressing her, people started gasping and saying "oh your mother kissed you!" They did not put anything else on her face, thank God, and although departed she looked absolutely beautiful and I was amazed.

Effie, Alithos Anesti O Kyrios! Wow you were so little when you lost your Dad! Memory Eternal for your Father.

Ha ha ha I know about souva. That is the plaster that goes on top of a brick wall and we say the same for the make up of women. And when they have put that on my face (make up/hair artists for weddings) it felt that way! A total souva! I protested and they said they will not do anything not even my hair if I did not let them apply the souva lol so ok I did not interfere and then I would go to a mirror and try to get off my face as much of that thing as possible and lipstick. Now for the wedding of my brother I disliked everything they put on my face but it was not possible to wash the face since they did my hair and the functions were starting. So I tried to wipe off many things even the lipstick they put on me. I felt like they were payed to uglyfy me lol!

#58 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:56 AM

Nina, did you see the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The mother of the bride and other female relatives put so much makeup on the bride that the first thing she did when she got into the limo after leaving the church was to take a handkerchief from her new hubby and wipe off as much makeup as possible. :)

#59 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:05 AM

Nina, did you see the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The mother of the bride and other female relatives put so much makeup on the bride that the first thing she did when she got into the limo after leaving the church was to take a handkerchief from her new hubby and wipe off as much makeup as possible. :)

lol I couldn't. I needed water and soap and oil-based remover. It was that waterproof thing (really plaster-ewwww) they put all over. I did remove some of it but it still looked ughhh.

#60 Kyranna

Kyranna

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

*Update and would like more advice*

I met with my spiritual father (who is also a Priest Monk) soon after my original post regarding the use of makeup and whether it was a sin that needed confessed.  He assured me that Yes, it is a sin to wear makeup.  Anytime we do something to make our self look better...it falls under Vanity.  He said that God made us perfect, just the way He wanted us to look.  He does not make mistakes.  We are His masterpieces.  When we wear makeup it is like telling God that He did not do a good enough job & we are not happy with how He made us.

I have, for the most part other than once or twice with minimal use, stopped wearing makeup since my Confession w/ my spiritual father that time.  It has been so incredibly difficult.  I feel plain.  I feel insecure, humiliated & always wishing that I never asked the question because now that I know the truth, I have to obey.  I just don't understand why it is not a common practice to not wear makeup in the Church if it is a sin?  Why does the majority of women including Priest wives & daughters and elderly ladies who should know better still wear makeup seemingly w/ no shame?

I need some help here.  I do NOT mean to judge any one who wears makeup.  I relate to why they would want to.  I feel like I lured my husband into marriage, he was attracted to me wearing makeup in the first place and now his wife looks a lot different.  I am more confident wearing makeup & it's such a challenge to not wear it.  Anyone have any advice?  I am even contemplating if my spiritual father who is a Priest Monk is being harsh or strict.  (with the best intentions, I know he is responsible for my salvation, other than myself)  Maybe a spiritual father who was outside of the monastery would have something different to say?  I really wish I could overcome my desire to wear makeup and be "girly".  I have 2 daughters & I want to be an example for them.  I don't want them to think they ever need to wear makeup because they are perfect the way they are.  I grew up with an non Orthodox father who placed a lot of importance on superficial things like looks, body, etc.  It's hard to retrain my brain and erase this upbringing influence from my mind.  Honestly, I don't know if I would have ever attracted my husband without the use of modest makeup to accentuate my natural features.  I think I would have blended into the background, the way I feel now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users