5 replies to this topic

#1 James Burge

James Burge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have been looking at Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

From what I have been told, the Glory of God is righteousness and eternal life.

So does this mean our mortality is sin, but not the final stage of or mortality which is death?

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Our mortality is due to sin, it is the symptom or the result but it is not the sickness itself.

Or so it seems to this bear of little brain.

Herman the Pooh

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

Mortality - or as it is more commonly referenced in Patristic writings, corruption - is not a sin, but is the consequence of the fall.

Fr David Moser

#4 James Burge

James Burge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

Mortality - or as it is more commonly referenced in Patristic writings, corruption - is not a sin, but is the consequence of the fall.

Fr David Moser

Thank you for the answer. I do have another question. In the NT there are three different Greek words translated into English as sin, hamartanō, hamartēma, hamartia. What are the differences and why three different words if they essentially all mean the same?

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

James, they are simply different grammatical forms of the same word:

hamartano: I sin (verb, first person)

hamartēma: the act of sinning (noun)

hamartia: sin (noun)

Declensions such as these are common in most languages, ancient and modern. English is one of the few which has largely done away with them, hence your understandable confusion. :-)

#6 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

And, to extend this, the word comes from a verb that literally means "to miss the mark". This cannot be emphasized enough to us Westerners who are brainwashed from birth to believe that "sin" means "intentional spiritual criminal act". Anything we choose that falls short of perfection is a "sin", but it is not the same thing as saying anything we choose that falls short of perfection is some sort of criminal act. We are to be contrite, not guilt-ridden. Constantly wearing guilt like a garment is a sure way to slip into akedia. Contrition, on the other hand, is a spur to improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users