Photo
- - - - -

How should clergy dress outside of liturgical functions?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

Technically according to the cannons a Reader should always wear a cassock when in a church, though as far as I know not when outside of a church for the reasons Olga says. This is what happens in, ethnically Cypriot, Greek parishes in the U.K. , though not in more mixed Greek parishes, so I presume it is the case in Cyprus. The best advise would be to contact the local clergy of the place being visited to see what is the national/local custom.  

In Christ.

Daniel,

#42 Father Philosoph Uhlman

Father Philosoph Uhlman

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

No readers and subdeacons, you don't wear a cassock to Mt Athos and you don't wear a cassock to an Athonite Style Greek Monastery in America.  Well, maybe you could get away with it at St Panteleimon's or one of the Russian Sketes.  Anyhow, this isn't how the Greeks do things and it causes confusion and could probably get you into an embarassing situation of either being identified as a novice monk or a really bad priest who doesn't wear his Riassa.  Athonites take this stuff very, very seriously.  Last time I went to Mount Athos, there was a Russian Seminarian in his cassock (who was very pleasant and good natured) but he was getting treated like a monk and that was worrisome - it disturbed the proper protocol that prevails there - and he was probably going to make someone unhappy at some point.

At some of the Athonite Style Greek monasteries here in America - it is stated explicitly that Readers and Sub-deacons do not wear cassocks in the monastery or in Church.  

As I was once told by a Romanian Archimandrite - after doing something altogether too Russian for him - You don't get to take your Typikon with you - this is not Moscow. 

Edited by Father Philosoph Uhlman, 13 January 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#43 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Daniel describes the situation for readers as I know it in the UK. When asked to read the Epistle at the Monastery of St John the Baptist here in Essex, I put on my exoraso and remove it afterwards (this being in accordance with Archimandrite Zacharias's instructions). At the parish church where I serve - as chanter, reader, or server as required - I normally wear a stikharion of the appropriate colour, though sometimes I just wear raso and exoraso.

#44 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

Father Bless!

Fr. Philosoph,

I'm in ROCOR as well. I was told at my tonsure/ordination that I'm to wear the cassock at anything related to Church business inside and outside of liturgical functions because although minor clergy, it's still a clerical rank.

I know Greeks and the rest are weird. Serbs do not even ordain the minor clergy in cassock or the small phelonion, let alone allow them wear it in a liturgical function. I'll go with what ROCOR standards are since I'm responsible to them and not any other jurisdiction.

In Christ,
Reader Nektarios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users