#1 Forum Administrator

Forum Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Dear Discussion Community members;

Full WYSIWYG interface for all browsers:

From today we have upgraded our Discussion Community system to include a major new feature: a full WYSIWYG ('What you see is what you get') editor for posting and editing in the forum, that works across all major browser platforms -- including Apple's Safari and Google's Chrome. You will not need to do anything to access this interface: it will simply be present when you post a new forum submission or reply, a Private Message, or any other editing interface (though if ever you want to see the root 'code' of your message, with all its formatting tags, you can simply press the button in the upper left-hand corner of the editor bar, and it will toggle to that view).

This new WYSIWYG editor makes entering and editing your posts to the Discussion Community much easier and more robust. You can add basic formatting (bold, italic, etc.) with the editor buttons or standard keyboard shortcuts (e.g. CTRL+B for bold on a Mac); you can paste links in line; you can see your bullet-point lists and indentation, etc., properly while editing; and as a new feature you can also use the editor's interface to create a table in your post, if you desire precise columns or text formatting.

A few features of the new editor, beyond the WYSIWYG functionality which many members have been requesting for a long time (though we've supported it in the past for Firefox), are particularly worthy of mention:

Auto-save as you type:

The editor now automatically saves your message as you type it, every 40 seconds. This happens in the background, without you needing to do anything; you'll simply notice an unobtrusive yellow notice reading 'Auto-saved' flashes in the bottom right-hand corner of the editor when this happens.

Auto-save helps protect your progress in a message, if your computer should suddenly crash, your internet fail, etc. If you are interrupted in your writing, simply go back to the thread or area where you were writing before, and in the bottom left-hand side of the editor a button reading 'Restore from Auto-Saved Text' will appear; click this, and your last auto-saved version will be inserted into the editor (including message content, and the subject / title line, if applicable) and you can keep editing.

This feature is intelligent, and applies auto-saved restore options specifically to the area of the forum where you were writing. So if, for example, you were creating a new thread in the 'Doctrine of God' area, and your internet connection was lost, the 'Restore from Auto-Saved Text' button will appear for you when you go back to that area to create a new thread there -- but it won't appear if you try to create a thread in a different place, helping you keep things organised.

We are sure this feature will be much welcomed by many of you!

Paste from Microsoft Word:

The new editor includes a button to 'Paste from MS Word': you'll see it third-from-the-left on the top row of the editor, as a small clipboard icon with the Word logo superimposed.

Pasting content from Microsoft Word (which some members prefer, as the spell-check, editing, proofing, etc. features of that programme are robust and some people are simply more accustomed to typing in it) has always been a problem, because Word uses its own formatting tags and coding which have tended to create hideously formatted posts when pasted into the forum, including hundreds of unusable formatting tags, etc. For this reason, we've often had to reject messages that were pasted from Word, since they were essentially unreadable.

90% of the time, you won't need or want to cut-and-paste from Word, as the new WYSIWYG editor provides all the formatting tools you'll need for forum posts; however, when the occasion arises when you might wish to paste something from a Word document, doing so is now simple. Click the 'Paste from MS Word' button in the editor, and a small window appears. Paste your MS Word text into this small pop-up window, then click the button, and the forum will convert Words formatting into its own, and remove any tags that the forum does not support. You'll see the properly forum-formatted text appear within our editor.

We hope you will enjoy and benefit from these new features!

#2 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

Thank you!
It looks much easier to upload pictures, also. :)

Ooooh, and new smilies! :cool:

#3 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

It looks good but I am having problems with pasting it seems to go to the top of the message not where I want it to.

#4 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

What I particularly appreciate is that the font is a lot larger in the Reply Pane.

But sorry- I cannot find the Paste from MS Word button. Where is it?

In Christ-
Fr Raphael

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

Fr Raphael, it's in the "Advanced" posting section. :)

#6 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Fr Raphael, it's in the "Advanced" posting section. :)

Oh wow! I never noticed that before. Thanks.

-Fr Raphael

#7 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Oops, I found a bug!
In IE9 you can't see the edit box (where the text entry goes) after hitting "Preview Post" or "Edit Post".
It works fine though with "Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced".

#8 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Sorry for being persistent, but I just want you to know that the bug I mentioned in the post above is also in effect when trying to reply to a PM. The edit box isn't visible, so no text can be entered. The problem only exists in IE9 Win7-64, and the edit boxes seem to work fine on other browsers on the same computer.

#9 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

I'm replying to this using IE9 (I usually use Firefox) and everything seems to appear properly.

#10 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Father Raphael, bless,

Using IE9, can you please try to use "Preview Post" on a new post, or hit "Edit Post" on the post you previously made above this one, and see if the edit box comes up?

#11 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Yes- both of these work for me with IE9.

#12 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:42 AM

I am having a challenge when I "reply with quotation". As i type below the viewing area of this text box, if I stop typing, add a quote or paste into a quote box, the text jumps back to the first line of my post. I might have 8 inches of text below this two inch text box and anything I do other than typing gets jumped back to the top line. It is very difficult to insert the copied test into a quote box. I have to scroll down to the quote prompt, very quickly (within 1 second) click my cursor in and then just as quickly paste my text.

I have not noticed it as a general reply, I will try to make longer posts to test (AH), but specifically in the "reply with quotation" option.

Paul

PS: It just happened in a PM as well.

Edited by Paul Cowan, 19 July 2011 - 02:45 AM.
added PS

#13 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Dear Paul, I was having such problems it seemed to get better for me after the first few weeks. But I have noticed it again a little lately however as long as I click where I want it paste once (it then goes to the top) then click where I want it and past again it seems to work for me. I have never had a problem with stop typing.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#14 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

I am still struggling with this feature. I have to scroll down to the bottom of my text, keep my finger on the down arrow to keep the cursor in place and start typing before it jumps back to the top of my post. For long posts and those with quotes in them it is especially difficult as I don't know where I am inserting my text. It might be at the end or it might be in the middle of another quote. Very frustrating. Is anyone else seeing this?

Paul

#15 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

I ran in to this again lat night. I think the best option is writing in a word editor like wordpad then copying it all in one go to the site.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#16 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:42 AM

How can I do that if I need to insert quotes in between the quote tags?

#17 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

Type (Quote) (/Quote) with square brackets around the text that is quoted in the word editor I know it is not perfect but it is easier until it gets fixed.

#18 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:50 AM

thanks I will try.

#19 Forum Administrator

Forum Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:40 PM

Thank you to all who reported problems with cutting-and-pasting, with respect to the cursor jumping to the beginning of a post after pasting. We're told this has been fixed in the latest software patch that we installed today (i.e. the cursor should now remain at the end of your pasted text after pasting) -- but do please let us know if you encounter the problem continuing.

#20 Forum Administrator

Forum Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Those who have made contact via e-mail and PM may also be pleased to know that the bug with the initial WYSIWYG editor, preventing posts from being submitted by iPad or iPhone, has also been corrected and these devices can now again be used with the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users