8 replies to this topic

#1 Rdr. Andrew

Rdr. Andrew

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Is there a year-long lectionary of old testament readings that anyone is aware of? I have been searching the internet. I can find one for Great Lent. My church calendar has those readings, but I can find any guidance for the rest of the year (aside from "Read the Old Testament in a year" guides that are issued by Zondervan and the like).

I am beginning to think that one doesn't exist. If this is the case, can anyone speak to why? Based on my limited experience at my Parish, Old Testament readings show up during Vespers. If vespers is to be served everyday (like at monestaries and cathedrals), why wouldn't there be a daily guide of Old Testament readings?

In Christ,

Andrew

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Based on my limited experience at my Parish, Old Testament readings show up during Vespers. If vespers is to be served everyday (like at monestaries and cathedrals), why wouldn't there be a daily guide of Old Testament readings?

You are right that Old Testament readings are used in Vespers. However, they are not normally, after The Prokimenon there is a space for the readings but normally it goes straight to Vouchsafe O Lord. There are only certain days like today (Nativity of Saint John the Baptist) which have set readings for them at least to my knowledge.

#3 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

Yes, there is! I was told by an OT prof that at one time thee was something of a lectionary for reading the OT at Vespers.This is Fr. Ephrem Lash's website of liturgical texts and other translations. He has what is called a Prophetologian.

http://www.anastasis...phetologion.htm

#4 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

I'm sorry, I thought a listing of readings for Vespers each day was at the link I gave up. It's just for lots of saints and feasts, but it's still nice to have them all in one place. Got excited over nothing! ;)

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:28 AM

I'm sorry, I thought a listing of readings for Vespers each day was at the link I gave up. It's just for lots of saints and feasts, but it's still nice to have them all in one place. Got excited over nothing! ;)

The OT readings in the Orthodox Church do not cover the entire OT, but rather consist of a "selection" of OT passages which are assigned to various feasts (incl Great Lent). The OT (indeed all of scripture) is not considered to be of "equal value" but rather some parts are given greater precedence than others. This is apparent, of course in the fact that the Gospels trump everything else and that even the rest of the NT is not read in Church (eg. the Apocalypse). In the OT this is even more evident - the Psalms are of the greatest importance and the other readings are selected and assigned to various ranks and types of feasts (these constitute the "Paroumia"). The entire OT, while considered to be scripture, is not read in Church at all - only those portions that are considered to be applicable to the day/feast.

Fr David Moser

#6 Richard A. Downing

Richard A. Downing

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

I found it helpful to read the whole bible from cover to cover over a year (last year as it happens), and used this reading plan for the OSB:
http://michaelhyatt....eading-plan.pdf

I found this particularly helpful as the Septuagint was new to me, and the OSB commentary was extremely helpful.
It takes about a half hour a day. Of course, the readings are not related to the commemorations of the Holy Church on that day, and so there is some duplication.

Love, Richard.

#7 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

The OT readings in the Orthodox Church do not cover the entire OT, but rather consist of a "selection" of OT passages which are assigned to various feasts (incl Great Lent). The OT (indeed all of scripture) is not considered to be of "equal value" but rather some parts are given greater precedence than others. This is apparent, of course in the fact that the Gospels trump everything else and that even the rest of the NT is not read in Church (eg. the Apocalypse). In the OT this is even more evident - the Psalms are of the greatest importance and the other readings are selected and assigned to various ranks and types of feasts (these constitute the "Paroumia"). The entire OT, while considered to be scripture, is not read in Church at all - only those portions that are considered to be applicable to the day/feast.

Fr David Moser

Father David,

I was told by my OT professor that at one time in the early Church that there *was* a lectionary for reading the OT at Vespers everyday.

#8 Cyprian (Humphrey)

Cyprian (Humphrey)

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I was told by my OT professor that at one time in the early Church that there *was* a lectionary for reading the OT at Vespers everyday.

That likely depended on where you were at. I'm pretty sure there was one in the Western Latin speaking portion of the Church. IIRC there was less consistency about OT readings in the East - I could be wrong though. But, I am under the impression that these readings were "phased out" over time to the point that now there are only the readings for certain Feasts and Commemorations left.

Nonetheless, these readings would've never taken you through the entire corpus of the OT, just as the daily Epistle and Gospel readings do not take you through the entire NT minus the Apocalypse.

#9 Sbdn. Peter Simko

Sbdn. Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Do the Western Rite groups use a Lectionary today with Old Testament readings (or even Revelation)? If the Western Rite Orthodox lectionary is different, is it available online anywhere? Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users