Photo
- - - - -

Steps of Transformation: An Orthodox priest explores the 12 steps (Fr. Meletios W.)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:08 AM

Title: Steps of Transformation: An Orthodox Priest Explores the 12 Steps
Author's Name: Father Meletios Webber
Publisher: Conciliar Press (March 15, 2003)
ISBN-10: 9781888212631
ISBN-13: 978-1888212631
ASIN: 1888212632
Pages: 208
Price: $18-$20
Links: Purchased at Amazon. or from Conciliar Press
Description: Addictions and struggles with the passions are rampant in our culture, and often in our families. Fr. Meletios Webber, a popular Orthodox priest with a doctorate in counseling, helps us to explore and understand an answer to overcoming addiction, through the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, as he clearly and skillfully explains the Twelve Steps. Fr. Mel takes a unique approach, and capably correlates the 12 Steps with basic Orthodox theology. The 12 Steps can be a valuable resource for our own spiritual journey, as Fr. Mel identifies implications for Orthodox, and all Christians, using examples from the life of the Orthodox Church. A unique and valuable book for everyone.

#2 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:14 AM

I am currently reading this thread Orthodoxy and the 12 step programme and wondered if anyone had posted this book yet. I see not.

Having attended 12 step meetings in the past I was struck how closely the steps mirror what Holy Orthodoxy proscribes for our daily lives. Dependence on God, forgiveness and making amends and helping others. I could not see living without the 12 steps or Holy Orthodoxy. I highly recommend this book to those in need, their families and our clergy to help all of us understand this disease. One could insert any addicion in place of alcoholism and it is still relevent to that person's recovery.

#3 Deborah Valentine

Deborah Valentine

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

I've been a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for 26+ (sober) and, am an Orthodox Christian. They are so totally complimentary and for me, Orthodoxy completes the 12 steps. Enjoy!

In Christ,
Deborah Agape

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users