#21 Paul Fowler

Paul Fowler

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

Paul, we have lots and lots of snow up here in West Macedonia, Greece. And ice. And freezing winds. One of my fantasies is to have lemon, orange, and grapefruit trees growing in my garden as the lucky people do in southern Greece - where, even though there is quite a lot of snow in winter some years, the weather is still mild (compared to our severe winters).

Effie

Forgive my bizarre English sense of humour Effie, it was meant to be a "tongue -in-cheek" comment. I know that Northern Greece does have snow-a good friend of mine who is a monk on Mt Athos recently sent me some pics of him in deep snow on the Holy Mountain!! I have also personally seen the beautiful White Mountains in Crete, still with snow on them in summer!! You are so right, even in the south they have their share of the white stuff!

Reader Paul

#22 Effie Ganatsios

Effie Ganatsios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

Paul, I sometimes take things more literally than they are meant. Ask other friends on this forum! I usually try to "set things straight", not because I am offended by anything that is written but because I sometimes think that no-one outside our country knows that much about it, especially in light of the flood of misinformation we have been the victims of lately.

I keep forgetting how well travelled most of us are today. I know many countries through the books I read and a couple from personal experience. I hate to travel but I would love to see many of the things I have read about.

Your comment about "your bizarre English sense of humour" made me laugh. I was once accused by a colleague of having exactly this!! No idea what made him say this, of course................................

Effie

#23 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

I was going to comment on this thread a while back but I forgot about it until it came up as having a new post in it.

All I would like to say, is as close as the Ethiopian church is to Orthodoxy it is not Orthodox it is Coptic. So although the service is worth looking at due to it being similar and it is a step in the right direction for someone who is not Orthodox, it is not the Holy Orthodox Church.

In Christ.
Daniel,

Because thats basicly what caused the shcism between the Canonical and Oriental Orthodox Churches, a dispute in wording in the 4th council. While it may be true that the Canonical Churches could be viewed as adhereing more correctly to theology, the Oriental Orthodox take the cake when it comes to preservation of Holy Tradition!

Edited by John Mitchell, 08 September 2011 - 01:43 PM.
wording

#24 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Sorry but the Non-Chalcedon Churches do not adhere to the 7/8 ecumenical councils and are not in communion with the Holy Orthodox Church. And there is a difference between Christ being two natures God and man in one person to being one nature.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#25 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Don't make me get out my big ugly moderator stick. In accordance with the community guidelines, this forum is to discuss the Orthodox Church as defined in the Community Guidelines and inter-church/inter-Christian discourse is outside the scope of Monachos.

Herman the moderating Pooh

#26 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

Sorry Herman, I was only bringing it up beacuse I felt it important that it be noted that the Ethiopian church is outside the Orthodox Church as defined in the Community Guidelines, I did not mean to start any discussion about it.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#27 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

PM
I'm not completely sure that the Church is infallible in it's council decisions, I don't see how that could be possible... and also becoming Orthodox would also mean the adoption of customs and cultures (Greek for example) that are foreign to my own culture, and I don't think that Greek is more holy.

The actual "Council decisions" are quite few and are primarily concerned with Christological issues. The Church exercises her Conciliar infallibility with great rarity. It's not like the Mormon hierarchy, which comes out with "infallible" revisions of doctrine every decade or so. As for becoming Greek--no necessity. You are not, under any circumstances, required to become Greek, Russian, or any other culture. Only a few extremists who would rather worship Greekness than worship God think "that Greek is more holy". After all, if "Greek is more holy", then they must also insist that "Slavonic is less holy", and I've yet to see these Greek Nationalists who pretend to Orthodoxy go so far as to insist the Slavs abandon Slavonic or Slavic customs. Part of the issue is historical. For Greeks, the only institution that let them maintain their culture under the Turks was the Church, so people got confused.

#28 Bryan J. Maloney

Bryan J. Maloney

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Because thats basicly what caused the shcism between the Canonical and Oriental Orthodox Churches, a dispute in wording in the 4th council. While it may be true that the Canonical Churches could be viewed as adhereing more correctly to theology, the Oriental Orthodox take the cake when it comes to preservation of Holy Tradition!

Do you prefer the goblet over the wine or the plate over the meal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users