1 reply to this topic

#1 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

I want to get back into a regular Scripture memory habit instead of just reading and want to pick one translation to stick to. Should I pick a translation with King James style English or modern New King James style English? The reasoning is:

King James style: more elevated and moving English and my preference for reading, also has a built-in cadence or rhythm which makes memory easier. A further advantage is that this selection is closer to what I hear in Church each week.

New King James Style: easier to share with others

Since I prefer the Septuagint Old Testament and the Majority Text New Testament the contenders are:

King James Style: Asser's Old Testament (and Boston Psalter) and the King James New Testament

New King James Style: either the Orthodox Study Bible or the Complete Apostles Bible (with the NRSV for the Deutero-canonicals)

Edited by Olga, 22 July 2011 - 01:42 PM.
removed formatting marks, changed font size for ease of reading

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

If you prefer the Elizabethan English then I would memorize Michel Asser's O.T. and the K.J.V. N.T. then if you should happen to be saying it to someone who finds it hard you can change the words for them. e.g. change 'Thou doest outstrip all in greatness' to 'In greatness you excel all" I do this the reverse way around to get the Book of Eight Tones (which I can only find in modern English online) to match the rest of Vespers.

In Christ.
Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users