22 replies to this topic

#21 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Let's remember that this discussion is about the ordination of unmarried men. The place of a single non-monastic person in the Church is linked to that discussion - however comments about Metr. Jonah are a bit off topic. Let's not stray any further from the path here.

Fr David Moser

#22 Guest_Augustine Martin

Guest_Augustine Martin
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

Which comes back to the separate issue of "seeking ordination". I would be wary of anyone "seeking ordination" - in my personal opinion (and since I'm not a bishop in this matter that doesn't usually count for much) the first disqualification for ordination to the priesthood is the desire to be ordained. A person who wants to be a priest is either 1. completely ignorant of what the priesthood is and so doesn't know what it means to be a priest or 2. understands the priesthood and yet is so filled with pride as to think that he can handle it. The best quality of a candidate for ordination is the desire to avoid it at all costs. - In my opinion.

Thus get married or don't; take monastic vows or don't in accordance with how God provides for you. If God wills that you will be a priest; married,monastic or celibate won't make any difference. OTOH if you jump into the priesthood on your own will, then it will become, at best, a heavy almost intolerable burden and at worst, the loss of your salvation and the salvation of those around you.

Fr David (who ran from the priesthood for about 5 years before he couldn't avoid it anymore)

1 Timothy 3.1 Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task.

The Greek for "aspire" is literally "set your heart upon" or "have your heart set upon".

#23 Daniel Williamson

Daniel Williamson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

"The desire to rule is the mother of all heresies"

- St. John Crysostom

It is the desire to purify oneself and become Christ-like, which pushes towards sheparding. Desiring to be a shepard is more of an indication of the opposite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users