Photo
- - - - -

St. Alexandra and St. Anastasia of Kiev....who's who?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Denich

Tom Denich

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Attached File  St_-Alexandra-Tzaritza-2.jpg   86.91K   55 downloadsI need some help for the Russian sector of the church here please.

I am confused by the icon images of a St. Alexandra, Tsaritsa and Sister of Mercy.

There seems to be a mix of 2 very different ladies here. The most common image of St. Alexandra, sister of mercy perhaps should actually be St. Anastasia of Kiev who was a Sister Of Mercy. She was also a Grand Duchess but not executed and had only 2 boys unlike the first who had only one son and 4 daughters and all executed with Nicholas. The Tsaritsa was NOT a Sister of Mercy as far as I can tell.

It seems we have several images that are a mix of these 2 ladies, St. Alexandra (Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix of Hesse)) and St. Anastasia (Grand Duchess Alexandra Petrovna Romanova).

So...whats correct? I have an icon commission and I cna't seem to reconcile this.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

I don't know about St Anastasia, however, I can tell you that it is not unheard of for the Tsaritsa martyr Alexandra to be depicted as a nurse. She and her older daughters (Olga and Maria) volunteered as nurses during the Russian/Japanese war and also during the beginning of WWI. Even in icons of the Royal family the daughters are depicted in their nursing uniforms (the icon painted by Archbishop Alypy of the Royal Family has this theme). So it might certainly be possible for the Tsaritsa Martyr to be depicted as a nurse for she did indeed serve as a nurse during wartime.

Fr David Moser

#3 Tom Denich

Tom Denich

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Father. I believe you of course but I did not find much literature that supported that. As matter of fact, the literature was not terribly kind about her at all. She did not sound like the kind of gal who would have done this. I will have to find more information.

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

There are plenty of photographs of the women of the imperial family working as nurses during the wars Fr David mentioned. Another sterling resource on the lives of the family members is the book A Lifelong Passion, an extensive compilation of correspondence of many members of the imperial court. IIRC, mention is made there of the womens' nursing activities. What would also be interesting is to examine the vigil hymnography for the feast of the Royal Martyrs for references to Alexandra and healing (temporal or spiritual). At present, I do not have this service in English on file.

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Father. I believe you of course but I did not find much literature that supported that. As matter of fact, the literature was not terribly kind about her at all. She did not sound like the kind of gal who would have done this. I will have to find more information.

What that tells me is that you have been reading the soviet influenced secular literature about the Tsar Martyrs. The world really sought not only to kill them physically but to completely destroy their memory by distorted reminiscences. Let me suggest that you read some Orthodox sources. It's been a long time since I read it, but as I recall Massie's historical novel "Nicholas and Alexandra" is a good source. I can certainly recommend Radzinsky's "The Last Tsar". To read about the Tsar and Tsaritsa in their own words, read "A Lifelong Passion" which is a collection of letters and excerpts from the diaries of Nichaolas and Alexandra as well as their close family members. There is also the booklet entitled "The Royal Martyr Sisters" about Elizabeth and Alexandra compiled by Archimandrite Nektarios Serfes (a GOA clergyman). The material published around the glorification of the New Martyrs back in early 90's in various publications (specifically "Orthodox Life", "Living Orthodoxy", "Orthodox America") some of which is available online - and some of which you will have to search out in magazine archives. In any case, I would suggest that, for a true spiritual portrait of the Royal Martyrs, that you avoid secular histories and biographies and search out the Church sources.

Fr David Moser

Edited by Father David Moser, 05 August 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#6 Tom Denich

Tom Denich

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

Ok thanks guys! That is now starting to make some sense. I will go ahead with my original plans to paint her in uniform (without the tiara). That really explains a few things.

#7 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

On the book A Lifelong Passion: It is compiled by Andrei Maylunas and Sergei Mironenko, and reproduces imperial correspondence from 1881 to 1918. It should still be in print. A most unusual and useful detail is that, while court correspondence in many European royal houses at the time was largely in French or German, all correspondence between the Tsar and Tsarina was conducted exclusively in English. Therefore, concerns about inaccuracies in translation cannot be sustained.

#8 Theodora E.

Theodora E.

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

A Lifelong Passion is available used very reasonably on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0385486731

#9 Tom Denich

Tom Denich

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

39c37ebb-d122-4caa-852d-e801bea9fbdf.jpg

The icon is complete. Thanks for all your help everyone. My wife finally has her icon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users