#21 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Jason,

Until recent times beer was not a drink known to Greeks nor was hard alcohol--only wine and ouzo. Hmm...wonder where ouzo plays into the fast?

I have read that the Egyptians taught the Greeks how to brew beer, and that the ancient Greeks also made barleywine (which is beer and not wine).

Do you (or anyone else) have specific information regarding the more recent history of beer in Greece? If brewing was known to Greeks in ancient times, beer still may not have become a commonly consumed beverage until more recently. If this is the case, what factors may have contributed to its scarcity or lack of popularity in Greece's past? When and why did beer become more popular and common in recent history?

#22 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

So we move smoothly from drinking wine to drinking beer, from eating meat to eating Quorn (texturised fungi protein), from milk to oat, almond or soya milk, from butter to soya spread.

And them we wonder why the Great Fast doesn't bring us closer to God. Truly the rich 21st century westerners have a hard time getting to heaven.

I'm sure someone could write a book entitled "A Million and One Ways to Destroy Your Soul and Serve the Devil While Eating Only Lenten Foods". I intended to use this thread, though, to try to better understand differences in fasting practices with regard to beer (namely how and why Greek and Russian traditions differ in this regard).

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone by bringing up the subject of beer during the Fast.

#23 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

While the ancient Greeks probably did brew beer, they seemed to overwhelmingly prefer wine, which is mentioned countless times in literature. The more recent popularity of beer in Greece dates from the mid 19th century, following independence from Ottoman rule. The first king of the newly-independent nation was a young Bavarian prince called Otto. His reign brought various elements of Bavarian culture into Greece, including the establishment of a brewery in Athens.

#24 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

There's a lot of interest in this thread!

#25 IoanC

IoanC

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

I think it is important to ask, regardless of whether something is allowed, why is it that we want it? In case of beer, do we really think of it as "liquid bread", or are we looking for reasons to enjoy some alcohol. I think it is an important question in regards to asceticism, something we need to have clear for ourselves before we do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users