• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yegor Nachinkin

Yegor Nachinkin

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hello all! I am new here and just want to say that there is a new Slavonic-English resource online: http://www.slavonic-bible.org, containing the Slavonic Bible text and a new Slavonic-English glossary (click on words in the text to see it). Definitely worth a look if you are interested in the Slavonic language.

#2 Brian Rowlands

Brian Rowlands

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Many thanks for the link to the Slavonic text.

It is a great thing to have access to this text but the English translation does not match the Slavonic original in many places - the last verses of the book of Job are always a good test for this!

It seems that the English is a standard non-Septuagint translation.

#3 Yegor Nachinkin

Yegor Nachinkin

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

That's explained in the FAQ on the site. The English translation is just the plain ol' good dear KJV.
The really interesting thing on the site is the glossary.

#4 Deacon John Martin

Deacon John Martin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

Although this is a good start, I noticed several things off the bat:

• The glossary does not tell you what case the words are in.
  • There are no readings for the titla.
  • One has to go to an individual verse in the Bible to find the right word, instead of searching for the word itself.

#5 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

Dear Mr Nachinkin, Rowlands and others,

Thank you for the pointer to this really rather wonderful resource. Even given the (large) limitation that the English provided in translation of the Slavonic is that of the Authorised Version, and therefore not actually of the Septuagint in the Old Testament (which the AV translates from the Hebrew, and the Slavonic from the Greek), it is still a remarkable resource for those wishing to learn Slavonic -- particularly, as you say, in the ability to click on any Slavonic word and be presented with a basic definition and general grammatical analysis.

INXC, Hieromonk Irenei

#6 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Dear Adrian and others,

There is another limitation worth considering also: cost. Here is the message displayed if one tries to click too many times on Slavonic words and read their definitions:

You are not logged in.
Users who have not logged in are shown only translations of words beginning with Б. (Look at this or that Bible verse to find several such words.)

Following the links, one discovers the cost of registration:

individuals € 100 / one year / one user institutions € 500 / one year / up to 25 users

This will likely make it essentially unaffordable to all but those who are dedicated Slavonic students -- i.e. not for the casual reader / listener wanting to learn a little more. And while I heartily agree that those who work on such projects should be paid for their labours, I do wonder whether such a price tag (€100/year) doesn't rather price the site into a category where far more should be provided for the cost: e.g., full grammatical information should be given (Adrian has already noted that only partial information is provided; no cases are indicated, for example); the ability to search the glossary by terms, etc.

Still, I think the mere ability to see verses in an interlinear fashion in the free version is very helpful.

INXC, ​Hieromonk Irenei

#7 Yegor Nachinkin

Yegor Nachinkin

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

first let me thank you for your appreciation of our work. This is really extremely important for us at this point.
Second, limitations. A dictionary, let alone a glossary, is never without some, it's in their nature. We are very well aware of the limitations of the glossary in its present state. And (this leads me on to the third point) that is why money has come in, the price tag etc. Very much will be added very soon (please read the "about" section http://www.slavonic-...rg/?about=about ). There will be complete morphological parsing -- cases, voices, tenses, genders (already present, BTW), word selection by alphabet, and much much more -- IF IF IF we raise the funds necessary to go on. This is my second project of such nature, so I have some experience. Now I have the choice of either leaving the glossary in its present incomplete state and going to work at other things to pay bills, or of selling what there is already (and is quite valuable, in my opinion. Even without complete morphological data, it is unique now to be able to point at a wordform and to get at its translation. In a week every wordform will also be accompanied by its dictionary form.) As a professional, I have chosen the latter alternative. If you find EUR 100 too high a price, find a friend and purchase one password for both. There will be no problems as long as you do not log in at the same time. There will be no problems even if there are three friends using the same password (though if there are ten, there WILL be problems). Things would be different if the baker and the landlord were disinterested and generous, but as you know they aren't. I do not want to entice you into squandering money, but the fact remains: the sooner people purchase access to the database, the sooner will the glossary grow out of its present imperfections.

#8 Archimandrite Irenei

Archimandrite Irenei

Community Moderator

• Administrators
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

Dear Mr Nachinkin, thank you for the additional information about this project. I think it is something for which we can all be thankful, and wish you well in both your fundraising and ongoing efforts. As people discuss what they would like to see in terms of content, functionality, etc., this might be helpful to you as you progress.

INXC, Fr Irenei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users