Photo
- - - - -

Are angels or other creatures also in the 'image of God'?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nabil Daoud MD

Nabil Daoud MD

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

is the human being the only creature on the image of god?
or the angel too?

#2 Thomas Brunson

Thomas Brunson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

is the human being the only creature on the image of god?
or the angel too?

"Hello Doctor Daoud, Yes the human being is the only one to be created in the image and likeness of God. When we were created everything else had been created and the angels already existed as well. Genesis 1:26, God said, "Let Us make man in our image, according to Our likeness." Our Father was talking to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Nowhere else in the Bible does it say that there was anything else that God created in His Image and in His Likeness. I am an Orthodox of 67 years and I have never heard of God bestowing this upon any other part or anything else in His creation. I see that you belong to the Antiochian archdiocese. My family on my mothers side came from Lebanon many years ago and I attended St. Nicholas Cathedral for many years in Los Angeles. (my grandfather came from the Kurban family and my grandmother came from the Samaha family) +Thomas"

#3 Nabil Daoud MD

Nabil Daoud MD

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

then what is the caracteristic of the image of god?

#4 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

A start of an answer is that Christ God did not become an angel, rather He became a man. And of the Theotokos we say that she is more honorable then the Cherubim more glorious beyond compare than the seraphim.

In Hebrews it says of Christ:

"5 For He did not subject to angels the world to come, concerning which we are speaking. 6 But one has testified somewhere, saying, “WHAT IS MAN, THAT YOU REMEMBER HIM? OR THE SON OF MAN, THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HIM?
7 “YOU HAVE MADE HIM FOR A LITTLE WHILE LOWER THAN THE ANGELS;
YOU HAVE CROWNED HIM WITH GLORY AND HONOR,
AND HAVE APPOINTED HIM OVER THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS;
8 YOU HAVE PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET.”

For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. But now we do not yet see all things subjected to him. "

And so an important point seems to be that human nature, though created in a lower more corruptible state then the angelic nature, was created with the potential, which we see fulfilled in Christ, to mature into such a state that it could be united to the Godhead in a more complete and full way then the angelic nature.

#5 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

Could someone tell me simply what does "Made in the image of God" mean?

No one has seen God.

Thanks

#6 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

Yes we have.

To be made in the image of does not mean to be made in the likeness of.

#7 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

Angels are made in the image of God, in that they have free will. But humans are made more so, because humans are trinitarian (body, soul, and spirit).

#8 Thomas Brunson

Thomas Brunson

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

Hi Angie, humans made in the image and likeness of God means that we have the possibility to live eternall with God in His Heavenly Kingdom. It does not mean that we look like God physically like we would look or resemble our earthly fathers and mothers. We will partake fully with God in His Kingdom that has no end through the Grace of God. We do have free choice, so we choose to or choose not to and God will honor our choice remembering that God desires that all men should be saved and come to the knowledge of His Truth. Jesus has seen God and remember He was true God and true Man while He dwelled with us in the flesh, and when Jesus ascended to the Father He took our human flesh to God and sat at the right hand of our Father. I hope this helps. +Thomas

#9 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

Yes, thankyou everyone. It was just something I knew, but never really knew (sorry makes no sense) :).

Thanks once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users