#1 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hi,

I am reading these days a book about the relationship between the Eastern and Western churches before, during, and after schism, and something turned my attention: A council after the Sixth Ecumenical Council issued 102 canons about the regulations inside the Church and the relations between different churches. In this council, there was a canon prohibiting fasting Saturdays and Sundays, and condemned the west church of doing it during the Great Lent and hence violates the Apostolic canons!!

Is this right? I mean is there no fast in Sundays and Saturdays, even during the Great Lent?

Thanks

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

I think it referring to fasting fasting i.e. strict fasting, Saturday and Sunday fasting is always milder, normally wine and oil allowed.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#3 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

Unfortunately, the book I am reading does not provide detailed information, and I wanted to ask if any one has more information about this.

Thanks for replying

#4 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

There was an ancient custom in the Church of Rome to fast on every sabbath. Liturgy was never celebrated on saturdays in Rome which was contrary to the tradition of the east where DL was celebrated on both saturdays and sundays. Rome viewed the sabbath as obselete and those observing it as a festive day to be judaizers. The east on the other hand did and still does view the sabbath as a festive day , thats why DL is celebrated on both saturdays and sundays during lent but on the weekdays of lent only the more somber Presanctified Liturgy is celebrated.

As Daniel rightly points out, the canon is the condemnation of strict fasting where only on one saturday is a strict fast required. That this is the proper interpretation is seen from canon 56 against the armenian fasting practise:

We have likewise learned that in the regions of Armenia and in other places certain people eat eggs and cheese on the Sabbaths and Lord's days of the holy lent. It seems good therefore that the whole Church of God which is in all the world should follow one rule and keep the fast perfectly, and as they abstain from everything which is killed, so also should they from eggs and cheese, which are the fruit and produce of those animals from which we abstain. But if any shall not observe this law, if they be clerics, let them be deposed; but if laymen, let them be cut off.

#5 S. David

S. David

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Ok, that makes sense now.

Thanks a lot all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users