18 replies to this topic

#1 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

I was watching the 60 Minute interview with Bob Simon that had permission to visit Mount Athos, it was something striking that caught my attention at the end of Part Two Video at 12:15 where Bob explains to the Listeners/viewers the transit point between heaven and Mount Athos/Earth.

Could someone be so kind and please define what the monks do at that specific location

Part One Video Here
P
art Two Video Here

Thanks
Best Regards
Pavlos Andreou

#2 Matthew

Matthew

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

I am very appreciative that 60 Minutes reported on Mount Athos. It introduced the holy mountain to many people, largely Americans, who would have never have otherwise heard of it. Having said that, I think that there are some inaccuracies or items lost in translation.

The "transit point" described is death itself. (Notice nothing was said about Christ's victory over death.) The elder was saying that we should be mindful of death, because that will keep us mindful of heaven.

They then took some liberty with a segue into showing the ossuary and where the bones of the dead (or those who have fallen asleep in the Lord) repose.

I think the report missed some pretty crucial theological and eschatological points. Don't worry if it wasn't clear.

#3 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi Mathew,

I also think they may have left some things out on purpose because it may not benefit them in any way but I totally agree with you there and I also thought the exact same as you when I saw the video... quite a lot was missed out but in any case I also thank 60 minutes for the small educative film they produced to the public.

Another aspect that caught my attention is the fact that the monks would not allow the media to go there for reason mostly likely that are not supposed to be mentioned, but I think it is by Gods will that the monks allowed the film crew to film and interview the monks so people like the USA citizens will be educated in the time of need.

Regards
Pavlos

#4 John Klesaris

John Klesaris

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

I just completed a pilgrimage to Mount Athos, and Simonopetras was the first stop. The monks were extremely hospitable and we had a number of edifying conversations. The 60 Minutes segment that was done affords only the smallest glimpse of life on the Holy Mountain, though I must say I felt as though I already knew some of the monks because of it! I think they did a good job in a limited amount of time, given the depth of what they were reporting on.

In Christ,
John

#5 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

I just completed a pilgrimage to Mount Athos, and Simonopetras was the first stop. The monks were extremely hospitable and we had a number of edifying conversations. The 60 Minutes segment that was done affords only the smallest glimpse of life on the Holy Mountain, though I must say I felt as though I already knew some of the monks because of it! I think they did a good job in a limited amount of time, given the depth of what they were reporting on.

In Christ,
John

How long did you stay at Mount Athos?

#6 John Klesaris

John Klesaris

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

3 days; left on the fourth morning.

#7 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

I also recently returned from a pilgrimage to Agion Oros. I stayed for 3 nights, 4 days, I believe. Mostly at Filotheou, but also 1 night at Xeropotamou, thanks be to Geronta Iosiph. We also visited Geronta Ephraim at the Skete of St Andrew. My first trip, but Lord willing, it will be the first of many. I would love to return and visit many more monasteries.

#8 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

I think if Panaghia allows me another visit, I will choose one Monastery and stay there as long as they will have me. I enjoyed my walk on the mountain, but I missed the daily life of the monks as I was always walking during the day. I would like to have been able to stay longer in one place, but being that I may not have another opportunity any time soon, I felt I wanted to see as much as I could squeeze in. AND I did.

#9 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

Unlike Paul, I did minimal walking this round, so perhaps some more walking is in order for my next visit? I agree with spending more time at a monastery...As things happened to work out, we ended up taking the speedier boat from Ouranoupolis after taking a 5am bus from Thessaloniki. For one reason or another the first boat or two were full, so we had to wait it out a bit, and this ended up being quite a blessing since we were able to arrive in time for Vespers. So busrides, or friendly folks in trucks giving us rides was basically the means of getting to and fro...there was a little bit of walking the trails, visiting St Dionysius's hermitage just outside Filotheou, etc. I hope for more trails next time. I think the idea with the transportation this round was to ensure that we would arrive in time for the services which really was priority over any personal wish for a nice walk. Also, trekking with a Priest also means that he needs to keep his rasso relatively clean.

I have read over and over about spending the night in Ouranoupolis, but it's not really that necessary if you want to save a buck...just take an early bus out of Thessaloniki. You may not get the 6am fairy, but it'll still be an early one.

#10 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi to all,

All the information provided by everyone seems to be lovely, myself and my grandad have always wanted to visit Ayion Oros since many years now. I may just surprise him and take him up there for a visit but first I would need to find information on how to get there.

Since you guys have been up there tell me please what is required in order to visit Ayion Oros. I understand we need permission if I am not mistaken? But in any case I will have a look for myself too if God allows it.

In Christ
Pavlos

#11 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

It may be different for citizens of Cyprus, but I had to make sure I had a valid passport, and a copy of my baptismal certificate. In terms of getting the Diamonitirion, the office in Thessaloniki is probably your best bet...I'm pretty sure you either fax ahead, or send in to them. There are other means of gaining access/approval, such as having a direct contact with a monastery where the abbot can forward approval to the pilgrim office in Ouranoupolis, but these documents will still be necessary for verification. If you don't have any contact with abbots, it's probably suggested to use the typical means of going through the visitor office in Thessaloniki.

#12 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

You might also want to visit this part of Monachos.

#13 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Are there any known enlightened Gerontes (staretz) presently on Mt. Athos who people seek out?

Someone like Elder Porphyrios of 'Wounded by Love', who was enlightened when people met with him (in Athens) for advice? I have met people who met with him.

I wonder if there is such a person presently (who can know the hearts and situations and lives of the people he meets with without them having said anything, for instance) who can offer enlightened advice and wisdom which comes to him directly from God to someone who really needs it.

I have heard that Elder Aemelianos of Simonopetra is very saintly, but he is very ill these days.

#14 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

I wonder if there is such a person presently (who can know the hearts and situations and lives of the people he meets with without them having said anything, for instance) who can offer enlightened advice and wisdom which comes to him directly from God to someone who really needs it.

There are indeed people like that. Who are they all? - only God knows. If it is needful for your salvation for you to receive advice from such a person, then God will lead you to him (or her) or God will lead them to you.

FR David

#15 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

There are indeed people like that. Who are they all? - only God knows. If it is needful for your salvation for you to receive advice from such a person, then God will lead you to him (or her) or God will lead them to you.

FR David

Thank you Father David. I certainly understand what you are saying, but I was wondering if there is someone well known there who everyone knows about, like everyone knew about Elder Porphyrios in Athens and thus the faithful would seek him out. I have heard such wonderful things from those who met him, including a Gerontissa here in the United States, who told me that one simply felt so much love from him in his presence.

Ofcourse as far as my question about Mt. Athos is concerned, for me this doesn't matter, because I cannot go to Mt. Athos anyway!! :-)

#16 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

Thank you Michael and Paul for the very useful information, I will look into them when I get a chance tomorrow. I just got home from traveling today from another country.

In Christ
Pavlos

#17 Michael 'Anthony' Cornett

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Alice,

While you can't step foot on Agion Oros, the Gerontas do make journeys to the main land now and again. After a brief visit w/ Geronta Ephraim of St Andrew's Skete, it was made known that he would be giving a talk in Thessaloniki soon.

Geronta Iosiph from Xeropotamou is also wonderful, as I'm sure many are. I only have a limited experience, which my opinion reflects.

Those in Greece, men and women, have a better opportunity to seek counsel from these Gerontas during various visits, as they aren't always planned well in advance, or at least made known.

#18 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hi to all,

For those that like to see Mount Athos, I have located some videos on YouTube which I will paste at the bottom. I have found the same videos in Greek and in English but need to relocate the Greek translation. For the time being I only have the English version so here it is for those who understand English :-)

Mount Athos Part 1 (English)
Mount Athos Part 2 (English)
Mount Athos Part 3 (English)
Mount Athos Part 4 (English)
Mount Athos Part 5 (English)

That's all the parts, and at some point if I am not mistaken on "Part 4" we can see Elder Paisios explaining his time at Mount Athos and how long he was there.

EDIT: I also found Elder Paisios Full Speech located here (in Greek but English subtitles).

In Christ
Pavlos

Edited by Pavlos A, 12 October 2011 - 02:47 PM.

#19 Pavlos A

Pavlos A

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Greek version of the videos, finally I found them thanks to Google Translator :-)

Mount Athos Part 1 (Greek)
Mount Athos Part 2 (Greek)
Mount Athos Part 3 (Greek)
Mount Athos Part 4 (Greek)
Mount Athos Part 5 (Greek)

Enjoy - I prefer this one!

In Christ
Pavlos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users