6 replies to this topic

#1 Caterina L

Caterina L

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just have a quick question, about fixed feast days, such as The Exaltation of the Cross or a Saint's Feast Day being moved to Sundays (and one of the reasons I joined this forum).

If a priest were unable to celebrate a feast day that fell on a weekday, for example if the church was in a rural area or did not have a full time priest, would the feast day be able to be celebrated on a Sunday, if that particular church did celebrate the Divine Liturgy each Sunday but couldn't have anyone there during the week?

Also, another scenario, if a priest was available during the week, but the parishioners of the church found it impractical to attend during the week because of work obligations, could they ask the priest to move feast days that fall on a weekday to Sunday Divine Liturgies as well? I am assuming this is not possible, but I have been asked by a friend who is going through this situation and I am not sure how to respond.

Thank you for your responses.

Caterina.

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

Dear Caterina,

To my knowledge it is not ideal but it could be done by the priest, however many feast have an after-feast so in that case there would be a great deal of similarity anyway.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#3 Fr Raphael Vereshack

Fr Raphael Vereshack

• Moderators
  • 4,420 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Dear Caterina,

To my knowledge it is not ideal but it could be done by the priest, however many feast have an after-feast so in that case there would be a great deal of similarity anyway.

In Christ.
Daniel,

Great answer! The typikon always calls for the tropar & kondak for the Feast anyway during an afterfeast.
Also since on weekdays most of the people in our parish work or go to school, then I sometimes give another sermon for the Feast on Sunday when it falls within the afterfeast period.

In Christ-
Fr Raphael

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

In my experience of both Russian and Greek traditions, priests have the prerogative to shift certain feasts which do not have an afterfeast associated with them (this is the case with most, if not all, saints' feasts) to the following weekend, with or without a more low-key serving of services on the actual eve and morning of the feast. In most cases, this would be the patronal feast of the parish.

There are other longstanding instances of feasts being transferred to other times as a matter of course. In churches following the new calendar, the feast of Greatmartyr St George, normally held on April 23, is transferred to the Tuesday of Bright Week if April 23 falls during Holy Week.

#5 Dimitris

Dimitris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:37 AM

In churches following the new calendar, the feast of Greatmartyr St George, normally held on April 23, is transferred to the Tuesday of Bright Week if April 23 falls during Holy Week.

Actually, St. George is celebrated on Monday of Bright Week if April 23rd falls on any day before Pascha or on Pascha. At least, this is the practice in Greek churches.

#6 Alexander Ignatiev

Alexander Ignatiev

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

This makes it tricky for those of us conducting reader's services in a mission setting; I always try to check with the diocese website to make sure that I am chanting the proper troparia for vespers during the leavetaking of one of the great feasts. Sometimes I end up having to get second or third opinions.

#7 Jean-Serge

Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Well, there are some circumstances forecasted by the typikon when fixed feast must be moved and cannot be moved

- typically Annunciation is never moved excepted in the modern Greek practice (Violakis) when it falls certain days of Holy Week

- the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple will be moved to the previous Sunday if it falls on the first Monday of Great Lent. However, in the Greek modern practice (Violakis), it will not be moved but celebrated on Monday, with oil allowed and no celbration of Lent great complines

The distance to travel or people working are not e reason mentionned in the typicon allowing to move services. Such practice has a only a sense if spiritual life is reduced to Sundays and major feast. But in fact, spiritual life is a daily activity, which implies that we are not ready to celebrate a feast before having gone through the preparation of the feast the days before; and we are still celebrating it the days after until the closure of the Feast. For instance, the Entry of the Birthgiver of God in the Temple is celabrated from November 20th, church calendar (as a preparation) to November 25 (church calendar) if the dismissal of the Feast, which means postponing or anticipating the Feast has no sense because we would be not enough prepared or already prepared...

Everything must be put in the whole liturgical context with the process of preparation of the feast and afterfeast, with the fact that the other days are specifically dedicated to particular saint or to resurrection etc. Those who can't come to church for the feast for good reason can do reader services if they know, or read and meditate and pray about this feast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users