- - - - -

Monastic orders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terence

Guest_Terence
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2002 - 12:13 PM

What are the different Orders of monasticism in the Orthodox church?

#2 Guest_Christopher Huckabay

Guest_Christopher Huckabay
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:13 PM

There are no different order;s within Orthodox Monasticism. The monks or nuns may come from different traditions of Orthodoxy, i.e.: the Russian, Greek, or Antiochian churches, but all are equal and the same.

#3 Justin

Justin

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 September 2002 - 06:38 AM

Well, I don't know if I'd say the same. Certainly there is variation from monastery to monastery, and differently "styles" of monasticism, even if we don't have things systemized.

#4 Guest_David Galloway

Guest_David Galloway
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2002 - 02:51 AM

There aren't any orders in the sense of Benedictine or Cisterian orders, but there are different types of monasteries. I think the usual division in cenobitic(living in community), anchoritic(living as hermits), and lavra(living apart but joining others at services). Different monasteries also follow different typikons. One advantage Roman Catholics have(had?) is that it is easy to categorize their monasteries in that they were all under the same authority. So far, in my limited experience of Orthodoxy, I haven't found too many similar monasteries.

#5 Guest_Richard Maybrew

Guest_Richard Maybrew
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2002 - 12:03 AM

There aren't any orders in the sense of Benedictine or Cisterian orders, but there are different types of monasteries. I think the usual division in cenobitic(living in community), anchoritic(living as hermits), and lavra(living apart but joining others at services). Different monasteries also follow different typikons. One advantage Roman Catholics have(had?) is that it is easy to categorize their monasteries in that they were all under the same authority. So far, in my limited experience of Orthodoxy, I haven't found too many similar monasteries.

What about the different kinds of "typikons" that different monsteries adhere to? I've heard that these are sometimes used to categorize them into different "styles" of monasticism.

---Richard

#6 Guest_David Galloway

Guest_David Galloway
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2002 - 07:52 PM

Richard,

There are in fact different typikons. Many monasterys follow the Athonite typikon, which is a very intense spiritual discipline. I'm really not as well read in this subject as I should be. After a brief web search, I was not able to find any helpful documents. I will search again and get back to you.

#7 Guest_Martin

Guest_Martin
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2002 - 11:50 PM

What are the different Orders of monasticism in the Orthodox church?

There aren't any orders... but, perhaps there are as many 'orders' as there are monasteries. Each follows its own particular rule of life, embodied in its own typikon, which is usually based on a traditional typikon from one of the monastic centers (Athos, Palestine, Syria, et cetera). But there is a lot of variation even in monasteries which follow similar (read, "Athonite") typikons.

Martin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users