Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

The Peace of the Lord be with you.

I've been looking for the past two days for a thread that would answer my question but have not found it, so please forgive me if I've missed it somewhere and just direct me to it if possible.

My question is, somewhere (and I think it's been many places) I've read about God's love being a burning fire and this being used to describe Hell and also the time of waiting between the first and last judgment for those who are walking on the bad or left side, also called the goats?

Could you tell me where I can re-find this and who wrote or said it? Or if I'm wrong please pray for me that I won't be banded from further activities here at Monachos.

Thank you.

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

You might start here: River of Fire.

There are actually several threads on the topic. This one offers some critique of the above article: Do you think most Orthodox hold the western view of heaven/hell?

Does that help?

Herman the hopefully helpful Pooh

#3 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thank you Herman. I have spent some time at the sites that you suggested and learn a little and got confuessed a little and went off on some other tangents.

Thanks though for your help.

#4 Simon R

Simon R

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Greetings in our Lord,

I hope this message finds you all well in Christ. There is a particularly great book by the Metropolitan of Nafpaktos, Hierotheos, entitled "Life after Death" which very clearly and concisely presents the Orthodox viewpoint on the question stated above. I would, without reservation, recommend the book.

Pray for me in my weakness,
Simon R.

#5 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Simon. I just ordered a used copy from Amazon today. Looking forward to it's arrival soon.

I have read other books by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos, Hierotheos and been enlightened to the degree I'm able.

Thanks again

#6 Rob Bergen

Rob Bergen

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

Often, the Holy Spirit is described as the Love of God, sent by the Father. It is portrayed as Peace (the dove) and as flame (Pentecost). I am willing to think of the Love of God as the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life. The message that the prophets spoke: Love. The message that Christ brought: Love. Therefore I do not think it is a bad analogy to think of the Holy Spirit, or Love, as a burning flame (which, by the way, has a connotation of desire, not in the sense that a man desires a woman, but a longing and a deep need). I suppose that you could understand the burning bush that spoke to Moses and the pillar of fire that led him through the desert as the Love of God as well. After all, Exodus is about the journey of the Israelites to freedom and the Promised Land. Besides the Holy Scriptures, I cannot think of anywhere else that the Love of God is described as a burning fire (besides 14th century English Mystics).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users