26 replies to this topic

#1 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

In 1979 Hieromonk Eliah Yakovian returned from the Holy Land and founded the Palestinian Hermitage of the Burning Bush on the Forrest county line just outside Petal, MS. The hermitage was one of the more humble houses of poverty in the United States, and as closely as possible resembled a cave dwelling in the Kidron Valley. For over thirty years Fr. Eliah lived a life of harsh asceticism at the Hermitage with little contact except for the internet and his friends, the wildlife.

Recently, health issues forced Fr. Eliah to go to a hospital in Boston, MA. While out of town, the hermitage was all but knocked to the ground and is no longer livable. Priceless liturgical antiquities from the Holy Land as well as Icons were desecrated and strewn about on the ground. The vast Library which contained irreplaceable theological works in several languages were also left out in the elements.

Authorities claim that it is most likely not Albanian Muslims, but the work of the local Pentecostal Zionists that were after the Land the monastery grounds are located on, and were probably totally ignorant of the fact that the Hermitage was a Christian house of worship having heard the word "Palestinian" used in reference to the Hermitage.

Fr. Eliah has been granted asylum at HTM where he is recovering.

Edited by John Mitchell, 30 October 2011 - 07:19 PM.
hyperbole

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:19 PM

Lord have mercy.

#3 N.Mathew

N.Mathew

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

Lord have mercy.....they do not know what they have done.

#4 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

John,

Do you know Fr. Elia personally?

How did you hear of this?

You can p.m. if you prefer.

Thanks!

David

#5 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

Yes, when I lived down that way I tried to visit him every week to help out. A mutual friend of Fr. Elia's and mine gave me the story at church on Sunday.

#6 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

That is great you helped him. Thank you.

The monastery was desecrated many months ago - closer to a year.

#7 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hmmm... This is the story I received from Mother Agapia from St. Nicholas Convent in NY:

Dear Jason,

Fr Elia was at Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston for a very brief period
of time about a year ago, moving there when he realized it was getting difficult
for him to care for himself due to his age and infirmities. He took ill there
and in less than a month returned South. He tried living on his own again in an
apartment in Albany, Georgia in February 2011, but after a few months ended up
in an assisted living center in Georgia.

A Russian acquaintance felt sorry for him having to live in a secular center.
Her grandchildren attended the Youth Retreat at our St Nicholas Convent this
past summer. She suggested Fr Elia move to the Convent and bought him a ticket
here. He arrived September 2 but we quickly realized we did not have the proper
facilities or manpower to care for him, nor was it going to be easy for a person
who lived in the deep South most of his life, to adjust to a northern climate
(we are north of Syracuse, NY in a snowbelt area).

We attempted to have Fr Elia relocated to the Tolstoy Nursing and Rehabilitation
Center in Valley Cottage, NY where he would have better care and ready access to
Orthodox services (St Sergius church is next door to the Tolstoy Center,
serviced by Fr Gregory Kotliaroff of ROCA).

However, Fr Elia felt he was still able to live on his own. He is presently
staying temporarily at a private residence near Jackson, New Jersey and hopes to
return to Mississippi soon. His old living quarters are not suitable, that the
cause of their condition is due to persecution by Muslims or Zionists is a
dubious premise at best
. While not totally incapacitated or bedridden, Fr Elia
is 75 years old and is afflicted with various medical ailments. He may not need
full-time care but he is need of some assistance. God-willing Orthodox faithful
in the South will be able to help him live out his remaining days comfortably in
his native surroundings.

#8 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

+

Brethren,

For those of you that would be willing to help Fr. Elia, please contact me via pm for information.

Thank you!

With love in Christ,

David R.

#9 Mike L

Mike L

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

I didnt see any way to PM you on here, but I live in south MS and I would love to help Fr. Elia if I can.. I just joined this forum and know this thread is old, but please contact me.

#10 Robert Hegwood

Robert Hegwood

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

The last I heard he was living in a small trailer park in Ellisville, MS. I stopped by his old monastery a few months ago and was appalled. The only thing left is the cross shaped fountain/pond that was outside the chapel door. While there a local youth stopped and asked if I was looking for the "old wizard"…apparently some locals thought because he wore a cassock he was a devil worshiper or something. I know that in the house were once a number of rare books, icons, and liturgical items. According to the youth Fr. Elia had given the deed to the place for safekeeping/maintenance to a next door neighbor (next hill). The man had tried to fix it up a little but decided the building was in too deep a state of disrepair (he wasn't actually wrong about that…the place was in very poor shape the last time I saw it) Then, he contacted to local volunteer fire department and had the place burned to the ground and then the charred remains bulldozed. Like I said, nothing is left but the fountain. What is unclear to me is whether or not Fr. Elia gave him the land or only asked him to take care of it. What is certain that when Fr. Elia returned, he had absolutely nothing…his car and home were utterly gone. Some local Orthodox tried to help him get resettled, and at that time he was living in a travel trailer in the fairly nearby Ellisville community. The former property is now a cleared area for an overlooking deer stand. That was two or three months ago. For more current information try perhaps getting in touch with the Holy Cross Orthodox Mission in Hattiesburg. One or two of it's members or their families were instrumental in trying to help Fr. Elia when he returned.

#11 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

I have frequent contact with Fr. Elia. He is presently ill. Fr. Elia is very saddened that he cannot return to his monastery.

#12 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

If any one talks to Fr. Elia, please tell him that thanks to his prayers I depart, God willing, for a monastery on the 2nd of next month!

#13 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I shall let him know.

#14 Hieromonk Ambrose

Hieromonk Ambrose

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Verified Monastic Cleric

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

On Orthodoxjurisdictions Bp Tikhon FitzGerald has reported that Fr Elia has died, and at his own hand. Is there anything confirming this?

#15 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

On Orthodoxjurisdictions Bp Tikhon FitzGerald has reported that Fr Elia has died, and at his own hand. Is there anything confirming this?

orthodoxjurisdictions?

#16 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I believe this post was somehow the will of God so that I would immediately sign in and check my notifications to find Fr. Eliah's contact info waiting for me!

Fr. Eliah lives! in a cozy trailer small enough to remind him of his cave in Palestine. He and his cat are making it. Please keep him in your prayers.

The neighbor at his old hermitage entered while he was out of town, took the deed making it look as if he owned the property, stole everything of value and had the city of petal do a controlled burn.

#17 Mike L

Mike L

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

I just received an email from him a day ago.. Why is anyone saying such a thing? Or did it allegedly JUST happen?

#18 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thank you John and Mike!

As I mentioned in an above post that I have regular contact with Fr. Elia. When I know Fr. Elia has reposed I will make that announcement.

I do not know how these rumors start.

#19 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

And may I remind everyone that this is not the place to "verify" unsubstantiated rumors. If you hear something from a trusted source (and btw, I don't consider either the "orthodoxjurisdictions" mailing list or the retired Bishop Tikhon (Fitzgerald) to be a trusted source), verify it BEFORE you post it here as news.

Fr David Moser
forum moderator

#20 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

A Message From Fr. Elia:

"Both I and Anushirvan, my cat, are in robust good health and good spirits. Suicide? That is without a doubt the silliest rumour ever attached to my name."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users