26 replies to this topic

#21 Michael T.

Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Yesterday I read of this for the first time. Now I am on this site so that I can respond.

I have been having a soup of emotions about this. Fr Elia was good to me as a new convert, distance and obligations limit me but I would sign up to help as I can. I grew up in that area and I am still amazed at the level of ignorance. While I might expect some attitudes and I would not expect full understanding I cannot image that it could have been understood as anything other than Christian. This was nothing but greed for the land, poorly justified in feeble minds via hate for the Roman Catholics. Now wait, Roman Catholic? Yeah yeah, they "don't know no better" but they do. They knew he was Christian but not their kind of Christian, they knew he had this piece of land, they know that theft is evil. The desecration was just part of that process of mentally making a person some how less human, some how deserving what they can not justify.

What of the land, what of the legal title?

In our view, this was more than an attack on a defenseless guy in order to grab his land. This land was set aside for the worship of God. These were icons and the building was a church, a temple. This was an attack on Orthodoxy. Haven't we learned from other groups, how to stir public opinion. This evil cannot stand in the light of day. These boys are banking on the idea that Fr Elia has no means to defend himself. Are we not supposed to do more than say, awe that's a shame. I feel like I've been kicked in the teeth. This should be an article in the New York Times, why will we not scream about it.

#22 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Michael,

I'm sending you a private message.

#23 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

These boys are banking on the idea that Fr Elia has no means to defend himself. Are we not supposed to do more than say, awe that's a shame. I feel like I've been kicked in the teeth. This should be an article in the New York Times, why will we not scream about it.

It certainly is shocking and reprehensible that someone demolished Fr. Elia's cell, destroying icons and many holy things, depriving an elderly man of the only home he knew. But who in the Orthodox world will come to the defense of a man who for decades has spoken against the Orthodox patriarchates and bishops, and who refuses to enter into communion with the Orthodox Church? I agree that it would be a great act of selfless love to reach out to an enemy of the Orthodox Church in his time of physical need, but having isolated and separated himself from the Orthodox Church, and repeatedly denounced the Orthodox Church, it cannot be expected that members of the Orthodox Church will now reach out in his defense.

Before his property was destroyed, he went to stay in the schismatic HOCNA monastery in Boston, but he claims now to not be part of HOCNA. Who is he with, then, and are they not helping him in some way? If he is not with anyone, and refuses communion with everyone, are these events not simply the natural fruit of his decisions?

#24 David R.

David R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

In reference to Jason's post, I must say that it is a most unfortunate and spurious statement.

#25 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

In reference to Jason's post, I must say that it is a most unfortunate and spurious statement.

What exactly do you claim to be spurius about my statement? Is Fr. Elia in communion with anyone?

#26 Mike L

Mike L

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

What exactly do you claim to be spurius about my statement? Is Fr. Elia in communion with anyone?

So, is being in communion with ardent ecumenists and modernists, that clearly violate the true spirit and canons of Orthodoxy, now somehow schismatic? It's sad when the "schismatics" are the faithful, and the "faithful" are now considered the schismatics. My .02.

In Christ,
a sinner

#27 Jason Hunt

Jason Hunt

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

So, is being in communion with ardent ecumenists and modernists, that clearly violate the true spirit and canons of Orthodoxy, now somehow schismatic? It's sad when the "schismatics" are the faithful, and the "faithful" are now considered the schismatics. My .02.

I would be happy to discuss further Fr. Elia's erroneous ecclesiology and tragic self-isolation, but our moderator has warned me that these subjects are off limits in this forum. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further off-line, but I unfortunately cannot publically address your comments here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users