Photo
- - - - -

Dispensations from fasting seasons (Thanksgiving)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

May I make a humble suggestion? :)

Because there is a wide diveristy of thought here, some posts might scandalize others, while other posts might sound judgemental of others...so why not let it go, and let's all have a BLESSED Thanksgiving in the true spirit of it being the closest thing we have to a national, inclusive of all religions, holy day!! (and enjoy your tofurkey, your turkey, your fish, or your turdunkin, or whatever you are going to eat, but always remembering how thankful the Pilgrims were when they sat down to eat their autumn bounty that day... and in light of all those who are suffering economically, let's also thank God for *whatever* food we are celebrating with.)

My parish (many volunteers of all ages) is doing a set up at a shelter tomorrow night and serving the next day. That 'giving' is truly what a most beautiful 'Thanksgiving' is about, whether it is for the unfortunate or for your beloved family, friend and/or relatives...

Lots of love of the beautiful American *holy*day of Thanksgiving to all,
Alice :)

#22 Reader Paul A. Barrera

Reader Paul A. Barrera

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

I appreciate this timely discussion, including the advice and the humor. Hat tip to Christophoros for the info from Priest Sergei and thanks to Priest David for the advice.

Enjoying Monachos!
Paul

#23 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Paul, all of us can see your desperate plea for help (and not just in squeezing in or out of something.) Our prayers are with you.

I strongly agree with Kyrill here.
Paul: make sure you don't squeeze too hard. You could get a hernia.

#24 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

HEY! you leave my sweat pants out of this.

Edited by Paul Cowan, 23 November 2011 - 02:36 AM.
something weird going on here.

#25 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

With friends like you two. Sheesh!

#26 Kyrill Bolton

Kyrill Bolton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

Yeah, sweat pants with palms.

Are you saying you don't want our prayers?

#27 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:25 AM

Asking ya'll not to pray for me is like telling my dog not to bark.

1) it doesn't work
2) when it does, it doesn't last long

So, please bark all you want. :)

#28 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

The only thing I see sweating and panting is Paul when they're trying to move him from the Thanksgiving table to the couch.

That's when you start repenting of your "dispensations". :D

#29 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

Well, I'm pretty proud of myself if I do say so. Started cooking late in the day, made way too much food. had one helping since I was drinking (water) all day I wasn't hungry for dinner. So, in the freezer it all goes until the day after Christmas. Pretty sad day actually, all my family is away from home and the Mrs. isn't feeling well so is not in the mood for festivities; not that I am either

Day 3 of a 7 day vacation and i am still sitting in front of this stupid computer writing here. Thanksgiving. Oh yeah. I need to focus more on that. Much to be thankful for. Now where did I put that list?

#30 Adrian

Adrian

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Asked what sort of fast he was keeping, Hermas replied that he was fasting in the customary manner. The angel was not impressed . He replied that hermas hadn't the fuzziest notion of what a genuinely Christian fast is, and that what he was doing was pointless. The angel went on to say that if fasting is to have meaning , one should keep careful track of how much money is saved by it, and give the savings to the poor and needy.

Another early Christian, Aristides, writes in his "Apology", "If there is a poor person among the Christians and they do not have the means to help him, they fast two or three days and give the food that they have saved through fasting to the hungry person.

One family in a parish in America decided to have a meal of just rice once a week during lent since that is daily diet of hundreds of millions of people in the world. When Lent was over , the family decided to continue the practice year-round once a month. The money that was saved was put in a special envelope and given through their church to the poor in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users