• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Todd Kagey

Todd Kagey

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:00 AM

Several of the recent posts demonstrated (at least to my satisfaction) that the image of the Church as the 'body' of Christ does not imply that the Church is ever the 'person' of Christ. I found the most compelling post to be the most recent, which was developed as a reflection on theosis, the force of argument being centered around the distinctions of 'hypostasis'/'nature' and 'essence'/'energies'.

Also mentioned in the original question was God's 'Grace'. But this component of the question was largely discarded from the overall thrust of the posted responses. I find its relative absence from the discussion significant. For one, it points out that throwing Grace into the equation does not necessarily make a theory more plausible. Necessarily, this implies that Grace is not nebulous, but has a definite 'shape'- one should be able to say to some degree what Grace is or is not, and what Grace does or does not do. The reflections offered here indicate that Grace does not alter one hypostasis into another. What else might I learn about Grace?

I am wondering if there might also something said of Grace that could be brought to bear upon the question at hand. Possibly, a similar conclusion might have been reached by an alternate route. Perhaps the fathers speak with clarity about Grace in such a way that would further delineate the impossibility of the Church being the Word of God by Grace.

#22 James Burge

James Burge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thank you Fr Dcn Brian,

One reason I am asking these questions is to reconcile or try to approach a book and understand the book I have been reading called Common Ground by Jordan Bajis. In the book, Chpt 9 pg 141 he says things such as "The nature of the Church is the nature of Christ because it is His Body" and pg 142 "Just as Christ, the God-Man, has both a divine and human nature, so the Church likewise manifests divinity and humanity." Both of which He centers the understanding of the Church by the understanding of Christ at the Council of Chalcedon. BTW, I think that your reply helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users