#1 Reader Paul A. Barrera

Reader Paul A. Barrera

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

I'm sure we've seen older parishes that are cold, insular, and more of a historic institution than a living community. For example, many who do not wish to extend themselves to others will say hello before or after a service, but will not stay to socialize except on rare occasions. This is due to busyness, duties elsewhere, the tradition of the parish, and a host of other reasons. While this may be the ethos, it is not true of the whole. There are still individuals, and some families, that make a discipline of remaining to meet, greet, and extend an invitation to do an activity or have a meal at their homes. I live in Seattle, and churches here waver between that warmer, welcoming, and inclusive Church and the static approach of a closed congregation that can be slow to recognize a visitor.

I want to see what successes others have seen or done to bring life to an older parish. What are the ways I could welcome newcomers, both inquirers and Orthodox, to our older church with seasoned parishioners?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users