• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

#21 Kathryn Conant

Kathryn Conant

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I was born and baptized in the Presbyterian Church in 1949. My father was a Presbyterian minister from 1950 until his death in 2004.

In 1971 I married Yiannakis Papaioannou in the Presbyterian Church in Dearborn, Michigan, USA. I began attended Greek Orthodox liturgies in the Detroit area. In 1972 we went to Paphos Cyprus and I was chrismated there and we were married at the Church of St. Theodore by the priests including his father Papanastasis. Our son Anastasios was born in 1975 and was baptized and chrismated in Cyprus in 1976.
I continued to attend liturgy for a number of years in Michigan, Maryland, and Virginia. However, in 1981, over a year after my husband left me, we received a civil divorce. I had thought for a long time to apply for an ecclesiastical divorce but never did so.

I remarried in the Presbyterian Church in Charles Town in 1986. My current husband was baptized and raised in the Episcopal Church but rarely attends. My son Dan was baptized by my father in the Presbyterian Church in Lakeland, Florida. I was received in the local Episcopal Church in 1987 and have been active in the Episcopal Church most of the time since. My son Jack was baptized there in 1989 and my daughter Beth in 1992.

In the meantime, I have occasionally returned to the Greek Orthodox church in Winchester, Virginia (30 miles away). I have also worshipped with the Lutherans after the Episcopal bishop shut down our church.

Now, I am seriously considering returning to the Orthodox church. My first husband died on 17 December 2011 in Michigan. Friends there were able to get a priest (apparently with the approval of the Metropolitan of Detroit) to read funeral services at the funeral home (another priest had refused because Yiannis had remarried also in a non-Orthodox service in 2009). During those services I was reminded how I am always drawn back to Orthodoxy during trying times and how I seem to become "one in the spirit".

I have been reading about the problems of marriage outside the Orthodox church. I don't think my current husband would ever agree to getting married now in the church (25 years later!). I want to be able to take communion if I go back. That's one thing holding me back for now. I may well start going back to Winchester anyway.

Sorry for the long introduction. I feel as if I have indeed been a Christian for all these years. I just want to figure out how to return without being a non-communicant.

#22 Shannon A. Clark

Shannon A. Clark

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hello,
I have been Orthodox since December, 1983. I am a member of St. Joseph Orthodox Church in Houston, Texas. It is and Antiochian parish.
When I entered the Church, I came into an OCA mission, St. Michaels, which is dormant now. Paul Cowan and I are friends. I am especially interested in path of salvation as outlined by St. Theophan the Recluse and Biship Hierotheos Vlachos. I also wonder a great deal how we can better evangelize and share the Orthodox Faith and Church with the rest of the citizens in the United States.

#23 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hey Shannon,

Be careful about name dropping around here. I don't have such a good reputation with some of these nice folk. Oh yeah, and you gotta back me up on all my "real life" stories. Not that Kyrill does, he sorta leaves me hanging out there sometimes. :) Great to have you posting with us.

Paul

#24 Shannon A. Clark

Shannon A. Clark

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hey Shannon,

Be careful about name dropping around here. I don't have such a good reputation with some of these nice folk. Oh yeah, and you gotta back me up on all my "real life" stories. Not that Kyrill does, he sorta leaves me hanging out there sometimes. :) Great to have you posting with us.

Paul

This Orthodox Texas doesn't run from his friends. I got your back.\
Shannon

#25 Kyrill Bolton

Kyrill Bolton

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Shannon, I think what Paul was trying, oh so in-artfully, to say is that members here have, in a most Christian sort of way, learned that Paul is in need of understanding and toleration, that he is still a work in progress, especially in the area of cleansing him of, shall we say, his minimal veracity. To paraphrase the opening of the TV series Mission Impossible "your job, should you choose to accept the assignment is to gently undertake the advice given to us in James 5:19-20 'Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.'" :P

Welcome

#26 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

On TV the other day, I saw a sign on a wall in a restaurant in Texas. It said, "Texas is not for amatuers."

Welcome Shannon.

Hopefully you are one of the BBQ brethren. Paul is the pastor of our BBQ assembly here.

#27 Jessie McLean

Jessie McLean

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

.....Paul is in need of understanding and toleration, that he is still a work in progress, especially in the area of cleansing him of, shall we say, his minimal veracity.....James 5:19-20 'Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.'" :P

Welcome

Yes, of course St. James through the Holy Spirit speaks correctly, but we must also remember my brothers and sisters:

Galatians 6:1
"Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted."

we all indeed have our individual degrees of spiritual sickness, in which we require our Good Lord to administer the proper medicine, at the proper time, in the proper dose.

I in no means offer this in a negative way, nor do I know the personal relationships of us who occupy this site. I also do not wish to emanate that I can discern the spiritual state of anyone, please forgive me. What I do know is that the Holy Scriptures were written for all, and it is for this reason I am inspired to share this quote to accompany Mr. Kyrill Bolton's post.

God bless you all!!!

#28 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

SHeesh, with friends like this....

Shannon, I'll get you up to speed on the BBQ thing Sunday. If I remember from our annual picnics, your speciality is all things sausage? We can talk more from the smokehouse pulpit over in the Between Friends thread. That is as long as Christina will allow us some unhealthy carcinagenic latitude.

#29 Kathryn Conant

Kathryn Conant

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

I have returned to Dormition of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox church in Winchester, Virginia.

I attended the Orthros and Divine Liturgy on 2 February for the Presentation of Christ and spoke to Father Stephen afterwards. He told me to come back and we will work towards my having an Orthodox wedding with my husband so that I can receive communion. He also said that I should confess having received communion in the Episcopal church.

I went again this morning for the Sunday Divine Liturgy and it was wonderful.

#30 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Dear Kathryn,
that is wonderful news, welcome home, and I hope it all works out with your husband and wedding.

And welcome to Monachos.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#31 Kathryn Conant

Kathryn Conant

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Thank you, Daniel.

#32 Christina M.

Christina M.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Welcome, Kathryn! :)

#33 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I would like to remind everyone that this portion of the forum is reserved for new members to introduce themselves and to welcome them. Other comments should be moved to the appropriate thread or made via private messages, visitor comments on your profile, social groups or through the feedback feature.

Fr David Moser

#34 Stephen Hayes

Stephen Hayes

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Since I recently joined Monachos.net, and have just discovered this introduction thread, I suppose an introduction is in order.

I am a deacon in the Archdiocese of Johannesburg and Pretoria under His Eminence Metropolitan Damaskinos, Archbishop of Johannesburg and Pretoria.

I serve on alternate Sundays in two churches: (1) St Nicholas of Japan in Brixton, Johannesburg, which is 70 km from where we live, and (2) a house church in Mamelodi East, which you can read more about here:

http://khanya.wordpr...ristinas-house/
and here
http://khanya.wordpr...happy-new-year/

#35 Robert A. Simms

Robert A. Simms

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hello all,
I have been lurking on this site on and off for two years. On another Orthodox Christianity site I go by the username Achronos. I hope one day I can contribute to the depth and knowledge all the members have here but in the meantime hope to just absorb as much as I can.

#36 Daniel Olav Mikaelson

Daniel Olav Mikaelson

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hello, my name is Daniel Mikaelson. My patron saint is Saint Olav. I was baptized and raised Roman Catholic. Through my very good friend I discovered Orthodoxy and after I attended became seriously interested into the writings of the Church Fathers and other saints. I became a catechumen in the early summer of 2011 and was chrismated Christmas of 2011.

I am a student at Louisiana State University. Biology major, Geology minor. I am a huge sports fanatic, I play Rugby, Soccer-Football, Australian Football, American Football, and Cricket.

#37 Dorothy Allen

Dorothy Allen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

Greetings,
I am a new member. I am Orthodox from birth, from Russian and Ruthenian ancestry. I have joined this internet community to (1) read information that may be helpful to me as I continue to work out my salvation "with fear and trembling," (2) to get a better understanding of the position of Orthodoxy within the world's stage, (3) to determine how "cradle" Orthodox are viewed in the United States among a growing percentage of Orthodox who have come to the Faith from other "denominations." These issues are important to me for philosophical, spiritual, and psychological reasons. I am an "older" person from a family that has very long generations; by that I mean that the persons in my family have tended to marry late and bear children later than what was typical. I am a second generation American -- my grandmother was born in 1880 in Russia (yes, 130 years and there are only three generations from her to me) and I was raised mostly under her influence. Due to this familial background, I have always had difficulties "fitting in" with mainstream American culture and as time continues to move forward, I find that my ways of thinking are so "old country" that I am increasingly "out of step" with the secular culture that surrounds me. In essence, I feel that I am still a 19th century Orthodox person, but living in the 21st century. I am here, therefore, to read what "modern" Orthodox persons are discussing about the Orthodox way of life. Thanks.

#38 Kosta Chialtas

Kosta Chialtas

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hello all -

Since I'm new I thought that I would also post my first remarks on this thread. My name is Kosta and I'm a member of the Greek Orthodox diocese in Toronto, Canada.

I belong to a small Parrish here in Toronto - All Saints Greek Orthodox Church. It is a small church but one of the oldest Greek Orthodox Churches in Toronto.

I am currently preparing myself to enter the Toronto Orthodox Theological Academy in September and hopefully with the grace of God one day be able to serve Him as one of his holy priests.

I have been a visitor of this site for sometime and I have enjoyed all the topics - I thought I would join to participate in some of the lively discussions.

Thanks

#39 Dorothy Allen

Dorothy Allen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I have had some log-in problems, which I hope to get help with.
This is a wonderful website!
Glory to God for all things.

#40 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

(3) to determine how "cradle" Orthodox are viewed in the United States among a growing percentage of Orthodox who have come to the Faith from other "denominations."

Dorothy,
Well just me, but as a convert, I have a great deal of appreciation of the cradle Orthodox in our parish. I think as converts we wear our Orthodoxy like a set of stiff, unfamiliar clothing which we are not really comfortable with, and it is a joy and an education to see the natural piety in our cradle Orthodox. It is a blessing too as one of the Russian Babushki has adopted many of us and our children as if we were her own people, not American converts.

Admittedly there is a trend among some in American Orthodoxy who want to modernize Orthodox piety, but there are many for whom you can consider yourself as having a wealth of tradition in a country that is poor and wanting.

Edited by Anna Stickles, 16 February 2012 - 01:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users