181 replies to this topic

#41 Dorothy Allen

Dorothy Allen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Greetings, Anna:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have great respect for anyone who recognizes that Orthodoxy is the true "way" of belief and worship (Pravoslavne).
Blessings to you. Glory to God for all things!

Dorothy,
Well just me, but as a convert, I have a great deal of appreciation of the cradle Orthodox in our parish. I think as converts we wear our Orthodoxy like a set of stiff, unfamiliar clothing which we are not really comfortable with, and it is a joy and an education to see the natural piety in our cradle Orthodox. It is a blessing too as one of the Russian Babushki has adopted many of us and our children as if we were her own people, not American converts.

Admittedly there is a trend among some in American Orthodoxy who want to modernize Orthodox piety, but there are many for whom you can consider yourself as having a wealth of tradition in a country that is poor and wanting.

#42 Fr George A.

Fr George A.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hello,

I'm Fr. George, an Antiochian priest in the LA area. I have two internet activities: www.prosphora.org and orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com . Aside from that, I have more interests than brains, so I'm an amateur at many things and a master of none.

#43 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

Fr. George,

Welcome. Due to a previous thread started recently, you have a following from here already. I look forward to your posts.

Paul

#44 Sbdn. Peter Simko

Sbdn. Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm Pete Simko--long time reader, first time poster, haha. I'm a born and raised Greek Orthodox Christian, now in a Columbus OCA parish. Like Father George above, my questions may extend a tad further than my answers, but I do hope to make some strong contributions to the discussion community when I get the chance. I appreciate this site very much, and I hope that it will be a beacon for many blessed years. Thanks!

#45 anthony douglass

anthony douglass

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hello all. My name is Anthony. My wife and I were baptized on Lazarus Saturday, 2000. For the last few years we have been absent from liturgy and are now striving to return. We now live quite a ways from our parish, but, with God's help, we will be back into the life of the Church. Please pray for us.
In Christ,
-anthony

#46 Nicholas F.

Nicholas F.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hello, My name is Nicholas, you can call me Nick if you want though. :) I am currently in hopes of becoming Orthodox in the near future though I know I am a long way off. A few details about my personal life...I'm 20 years old, was raised in a Protestant household with a father who is a Pentecostal pastor. I began to really examine my life and try to find out my world views since I've been 16. As far as my spiritual journey, I've read G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Aquinas, John Wesley, Saint Augustine of Hippo, and then discovered the Eastern Orthodox Church automatically had a feeling that it was the Church founded by Christ, so I started reading a lot of the Early Christian mystics/theologians to get a better grasp of the Church while attending a Methodist Church for about a year, then I decided to start visiting Orthodox Churches. Politically I've been all over the place. I started out as a Social Conservative/Economic Progressive, then became a Distributist, then became a Traditionalist Conservative, and now I am a Libertarian after really taking Saint John Chrysostom's quote of "Christians above all men are forbidden to correct the stumblings of sinners by force ... it is necessary to make a man better not by force but by persuasion." to heart. As it comes to philosophy, I've read a lot of thinkers, mostly focusing on those who have been the fuses for the post-modern era all the way up to the big players of today in philosophy, but I have a pretty spread out knowledge. Just off the top of my head I've read Plato, Aristotle, the Early Church Fathers (if you want to call them philosophers, I don't really do so though), Thomas Aquinas, the major Reformation Thinkers, John Locke, Adam Smith, The American Founding Fathers, Soren Kierkgaard, Karl Marx, Fyodor Doestoyvesky, Friedrich Nietzsche, G.K. Chesterton, Sigmund Freud, Antonio Gramsci, Edmund Husserl, Martin Heidegger, B.F. Skinner, Pope John Paul II, Jacques Derrida, and Albert Bandura. I think something I'll really be focusing threads I make are how different things may have something worthwhile to say and how other stuff within their beliefs are not useful. Mostly due to the fact that I have a lot of Western philosophy still attached to me so I need to find out many aspects which I should drop in order to get a clearer picture of Orthodox Christianity. I am currently majoring in Clinical Psychology and I am considering majoring in Eastern Christian Studies or Religious Studies as well if I can find a good dual major program that offers both. Anyways, that might be a bit too much for an introduction, so for that. :) Please pray for me in my journey to Orthodoxy. In Christ, Nicholas

#47 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Dear Peter,
Ask as much as you like just remember to use the search feature first ; )and I am sure you will make great contributions as well.

Dear Anthony,
My family and I were also baptised on Lazarus Saturday but we were last year. May God guide you on your journey back in to the life of the Church and help you get to your parish.

Dear Nicholas,
I am glad you are looking to become Orthodox, I know felt the same when I found the Church that it is the Church founded by Christ. It sounds like you have read a lot of stuff. And you have my prayers for your journey to Orthodoxy.

Lastly welcome to all three of you.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#48 Michael Coppock

Michael Coppock

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I joined the forum a couple of years ago, but haven't been active in it, and have been focused on other things this past 18 months or so.

I was brought up Catholic, and converted to Orthodoxy in the early 90s, in a Belarus parish under the Oecumenical Patriarchate, in the UK.
I hope to be more active here this time round, and was motivated to rejoin as Great Lent gets underway.

In Christ,

Michael

#49 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Dear Michael,

Welcome back to Monachos.
It also looks like you live fairly near to my church (Shrewsbury) do you happen to go to Shrewsbury or Chester Orthodox Church?

In Christ,
Daniel,

#50 Michael Coppock

Michael Coppock

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hello Daniel,

I do go to the Shrewsbury church, as it's the nearest to me. Not as frequently as I'd like, as I'm pretty much a pauper, relatively! You know the price of fuel for the car!!
I'll do a more general reply somewhere more appropriate on the forum.

In Christ,

Michael

#51 Trevor N. Fernandes

Trevor N. Fernandes

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hello everyone! Slava usuzu Christu! Slava na viky!
I am Fr. Deacon Trevor (Fernandes), and I am new. I was born in Bombay, India and was raised a very devotional and traditional Roman Rite Catholic. One of my younfger brothers is a Roman priest. Through one of my godsons and long friendship with Father Raphael Biernacki, an Orthodox priest of blessed memory I became more and more in love with the East. One of my best friends, more like a brother, is Greek Orthodox. Attending Vigils and Pascha at the ROCOR cathedral in Cleveland as well as Dormition at Rives Junction Monastery with the Romanian Sisters cemented this quiet romance in a joyous way. I was ordained an RC Deacon 2.5 years ago. I have been granted permission by my Bishop to transfer Rites to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. I now am awaiting, God willing, permission from Rome. I am so excited to be here. I take it very seriously. God bless you all. Rest assured of my prayers, so please pray for me, a sinner.
Deacon Trevor+

#52 Peter Lu

Peter Lu

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi, every one. I'm an Orthodox in China. Although the Church anh her people are hard in China, we are trying to get through it, and we have our own church, Autonomous Church of China( though we still need help from Russia). I received Baptizm and Chrismation on the Feast of St. Peter and St. Paul, and my church name is Peter, too. My experience likes St. Peter, I have been misled by Satan, too. Also, I hope I could repent just like him. It is a great honor to meet brothers and sisters all over the world. I'm even more isolated from other fellows in China because I'm Xi'an while most of them are in Beijing or Shanghai, but I feel proud because I've found the truth of God. Xi'an is famous in her Terracotta Warriors and other historical relics, it is also the first city embraced Christ. In Tans Dynasty, there were used to be thousands of Christians. China needs Gospel, please pray for us. May God bless all parts of her body.

#53 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to Monachos.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#54 Peter Lu

Peter Lu

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hello every one. I'm Peter, a Chinese Orthodox christian, I got baptized in Shanghai 3 days before the Feast of St. Peter and St.Paul in 2009. It is my great pleasure to find this website. I now live and study in Xi'an, which is known for Terra Cotta Warriors and many other relics. Unlike you fellows, Gospel in China is hard. I'm even more isolated from other Chinese christians because they mostly live in Beijing or Shanghai. However, though we have no priest and still need help from Russia, we have our own church lasting more than 60 years, which is Autonomous Church of China. If you have any interests for Chinese church, please visit www.orthodox.cn. May God shine his grace upon all who desire his truth.

#55 Christopher Kylin

Christopher Kylin

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

I am not Orthodox anything.

I have been attending a nearby Orthodox cathedral, and I have been studying the church, studying Greek, studying prayer, studying the Liturgy. I've enjoyed it immensely. A lot of things i've heard before in the past, and which were meaningless ideas now seem to be very simple.

I am trying to get a better idea what to expect for Easter. I've found a few dozen things written online, but most are very general. "Easter is the most important time of the year... " But nothing very clear on what happens this day, what happens the next, etc.

If anyone could suggest a simple laid out plan, I would appreciate it.

#56 Zakharia

Zakharia

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hello -

I am Zak, I am 26 years old and live in the Inland Empire of Southern CA. My wife and I were married 6 years ago and we have 2 children and one on the way. We began attending a small OCA parish a little over a year ago after I had found Orthodoxy by reading the earliest Christian documents on earlychristianwritings. So far I still have tons of questions of applying Orthodox principles to my daily life.

#57 William Sculley

William Sculley

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hello to all and Gospodi Promilui from Chattanooga, TN. I have only been lurking around Monachos for the last few weeks, so I decided to go ahead and jump in here now that I've gotten more of a feel for what I have been reading here.
I was received this past Saturday as a Catechumen in the Orthodox Church and my new Patron Saint is Saint Vasile the Great (Basil). I look forward to my learning period as a Catechumen, and to my Baptism and Chrismation (when they come).

I am currently also studying in college, so my Catechism will be slower than normal. But I am glad to be here and learn more about Orthodoxy under my spiritual Father Stavros Rousos and my Godfather, mentor, and best friend Reader Cyprian James Lawrence.

#58 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I am not Orthodox anything.

I have been attending a nearby Orthodox cathedral, and I have been studying the church, studying Greek, studying prayer, studying the Liturgy. I've enjoyed it immensely. A lot of things i've heard before in the past, and which were meaningless ideas now seem to be very simple.

I am trying to get a better idea what to expect for Easter. I've found a few dozen things written online, but most are very general. "Easter is the most important time of the year... " But nothing very clear on what happens this day, what happens the next, etc.

If anyone could suggest a simple laid out plan, I would appreciate it.

Dear Christopher,

On the Thursday before Good Friday (12th this year) there is a service for the Crucifixion of Christ.

On the Friday there is the Royal Hours.

There are others services but I will stick to Good Friday and Easter Sunday here.

At 11:30 on the Saturday night the Pascha (Easter) service starts, with a service called the Midnight office then just before midnight all the lights are blown out, then the priest in shouts Christ is Risen and lights special Easter candles, and a large procession goes out from the Church in which Paschal (Easter) Hymns are sung and then the Gospel for the Resurrection is read.

After returning to the Church Matins and the Liturgy are served. At which the Faithful (all Orthodox Christians) partake of Holy Communion.

The service finishes shorty after and then there is normally a Parish feast. The following day there is a vespers service at which the Gospel of is read in as many languages as possible.

That's the best I can remember at any rate, I hope it is of some help. Welcome to Monachos.

Welcome also to Zakharia and William.

In Christ.
Daniel,

#59 Sam Crawford

Sam Crawford

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Hello there!

I'm Sam, I'm 24 and live in London. Tomorrow I have my first meeting with an Orthodox priest to discuss my conversion to the Orthodox faith. I've been invited to attend the vigil for the Feast of the Annunciation too, so as you can imagine I'm very excited. I thought it might be helpful as I start this journey to find an online community like this one. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

#60 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Dear Sam,

I hope your meeting goes well tomorrow just humbly trust in God and God willing it shall be. I also hope that you have a blessed vigil service and that God guides you to His Holy Orthodox Church.

And welcome to Monachos.

In Christ.
Daniel,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users