Photo
- - - - -

Is there any precedent of receiving converts via the Eucharist?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent M.

Vincent M.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

Good evening,

I have a question: Is there any precedent of receiving someone into the Church (say, for example, a Protestant) through the Eucharist itself? In other words, before they've been Chrismated? Receiving them AT the chalice itself?

I have heard of this being done before, and it was intimated that it was acceptable in certain cases.

Any insight is appreciated!

#2 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:22 AM

The closest thing I have heard of is acceptance "by confession of Faith" where a statement accepting only the Orthodox teachings and renouncing previous erroneous beliefs. I have never heard of this version of an "alter call", sort of a "communion call"? Doesn't sound Orthodox to this bear of admittedly little brain.

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

No, not to my knowledge. There is always at the very least some requirement of a renunciation of errors and/or confession of the Orthodox Faith. This option is only given to a very limited number of other confessions (in the Russian practice that would be Armenian or Roman Catholic). The next step down would be confession of faith and chrismation (again, limited to those who have received the proper "form" of baptism - functionally those who were baptized in the name of the Trinity, but in some interpretations triple immersion is also required here). Other than those two situations, all receptions are to be made by the sacraments of baptism and chrismation. There is no other means sanctioned by the fathers, by the tradition of the Church or even by local practice for reception into the Orthodox Faith.

Fr David Moser

#4 William White

William White

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

AS a roman use to be i can tell you you can find anything if you look hard enough
altho i think your conscience should tell you what is correct and which is totally wrong.
I argue crismation when from the catholic faith and needing confirmation in the orthodox,bbut thru my study and
conscience you must know the faith to be received into the body of your father...many do not know the faith.
some young,some older. i would not want to chat my lord by receiving his precious body thru ther Sacrement
until my pastor thinks i am ready,their are no shortcuts esp when eternity is envolved...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users