#1 Brad D.

Brad D.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

In my reading from Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica today, I see the following statement:

A soul that has given itself over to God has no fear of anything, not even robbers, sickness, or death. Whatever happens, such a soul always cries, "It was the will of God."

Yesterday on the way to work, Father Thomas Hopko said the following:

I do not believe at all that it would be a Biblical christian teaching that God is making everything to happen that is happening by His own will and whatever it is it is God engineering it

and

I personally would be violently opposed to those bumper stickers that say "God is in control"

The recording is here: http://ancientfaith....estament_part_1 and is between minutes 5 and 8 of the lesson.

The thoughts and words of these two men are very dear to me - I listen or read them every day almost. However, these two teachings appear to be opposite.

So, my question is this: How do we draw the line between accepting life circumstances as the will of God, and not?

I understand Father Hopko is saying that God is not directly causing most specific events...not directly. However, Elder Thaddeus says we should accept all things as if He had.

Please share your thoughts, very interesting topic.

Brad

#2 Vlad

Vlad

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I think we must realise the difference between „God allowed this to happen” and „God wanted this to happen”. If someone robs me i will not think that God wanted to see that guy committing a sin, i will think like this: „God allowed him to commit that sin, because He wanted to respect that dude's free will. He probablly hoped that the guy will repent sooner or later and he will be closer to God than he was before the robbery. God allowed me to be a victim because He knew that will be good for my soul, a chance for me to get closer to Him than i would have done it otherwise.(as long as i don't act resentful ofcourse)”

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

To me they dont seem to be addressing similar situations. Elder Thaddeus is quite right that a person who has turned himself over to God, fears nothing. He is not addressing the nominal christian but the one who is on a straight path of theosis.

Fr. Thomas Hopko is saying we shouldnt blame every tragedy on the will of God. We shouldnt try to assign events whether tragic or joyous on the people they have occured to.

#4 Brad D.

Brad D.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the replies... I'm not sure I agree that they are talking about different situations, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users